Bf 109 E Polish campaign yellow gun fairings?

Mike VE

Hi all

I'm doing a Bf109E which I want to present as at the time of the invasion of Poland. I'm using the Airfix 1/72 109 E4 with a canopy from Rob-Taurus for the E3. I have the Print Scale decals for a range of 109 Es and a couple of these fit the bill. The profile for one shows (Me 109E-1 2JGr 101) with a the front propeller boss painted yellow and the gun fairings yellow. The only source I can find for the yellow fairings is Luftwaffe Colours Jagdwaffe Vol 1 Section 3 which shows an E-3 of 3/JG 51 with a yellow gun fairings, yellow front of propeller boss and yellow number 3.  The supporting photo is far from convincing - is shows a light colour in the gun fairing but it could easily be just sun glinting.

I know I could paint the gun fairing any colour I choose but am curious to know whether any of the well-informed 109 enthusiasts could shed any light.

spacer.png

Here is a screen shot from a color film depicting JG 77 in September 1939 showing gray painted gun troughs on the cowling.   I think this was a protective measure factory applied to the early Bf 109 E. 

• Like 2