Hasegawa 1/72 Heinkel 111-P

3 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Day camouflage Bob.

I thought that I would do both, I had always fancied the blacked out, night operations finish.  As I have just bought a Harder & Steenbeck airbrush with a fine needle, I Thought some nice black squiggle camo over the markings would look good, but apparently they just used big paint brushes. :swear:   Ah well, artistic licence. :wicked:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I thought that I would do both, I had always fancied the blacked out, night operations finish.  As I have just bought a Harder & Steenbeck airbrush with a fine needle, I Thought some nice black squiggle camo over the markings would look good, but apparently they just used big paint brushes. :swear:   Ah well, artistic licence. :wicked:

Go for it Bob, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'd quite liked to have done the 111 that flattened the White Bear at Masham but info on the particular aircraft involved is pretty sketchy. I'm sure my Grandad would have liked to have seen those responsible held to account at Nuremberg. 

• Haha 1

I have tried to get a better photo, ie lighter, than the previous one.

Today I masked the RLM 71 and gave it a coat of RLM 70, also Colourcoats. I need to give some areas a buff up and I've had a little bit of seepage onto the underneath blue that I'll put right tomorrow.

p?i=cdfe888d0e472ea5ba4b6779664bd685

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mottlemaster said:

That looks like a nice  paint job  Roger

Thanks very much Alistair.

I usually use Tamiya and Gunze paints so just finding my way round enamels. The mixing ratios and application I'm finding a bit different but I'm happy with the results so far.

Roger. 

36 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Anyone know what I've done with the rectangular bit of canopy from on top of the cockpit? Getting desperate now. 😣

still on the sprue?!

Cheers,

37 minutes ago, Arniec said:

still on the sprue?!

Cheers,

I wish!

It was removed from the sprue, masked and painted then set aside till it was time to attach. Where that set aside is I have no idea.

I've searched everywhere, well not everywhere or I would have found it...... as my wife helpfully pointed out out. 😖

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

It was removed from the sprue, masked and painted then set aside till it was time to attach. Where that set aside is I have no idea.

Ahhh! it's gone into the Bedale black hole,   I have lost quite a few bits into it,  I've moved the furniture, used the CSI torch, my kitchen is spotlessly clean but the missing He 111 engine panel, T-34 wheel cover and Spitfire electrical regulator have all disappeared. :wtf:

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

I've searched everywhere, well not everywhere or I would have found it...... as my wife helpfully pointed out out. 😖

It'll be in the last place you look..... as my wife helpfully pointed out. :slowclap:

43 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

It'll be in the last place you look..... as my wife helpfully pointed out. :slowclap:

We really could do without help like that.

I've made the decision to plough on regardless in the desperate hope that the Bedale black hole will vomit it back up.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

We really could do without help like that.

How very true. :)

36 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

I've made the decision to plough on regardless in the desperate hope that the Bedale black hole will vomit it back up.

You know the old adage, it will turn up when you are not looking for it???

With my missing engine cover, I have "borrowed" one from my He 111H-20 kit and I'm hoping  to get a replacement made by 3D printing. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Rodger

I have just looked into this issue of the lines on the wings. They shouldn't be on the flaps or the leading edge part of the wing.

At least yours is a better colour than mine. Mine are red and stand out rather to strongly.  I will have to knock them back a bit.

From all the photos I have seen your colour looks more correct. 

On 8/30/2020 at 6:17 AM, Greg Law said:

Rodger

I have just looked into this issue of the lines on the wings. They shouldn't be on the flaps or the leading edge part of the wing.

At least yours is a better colour than mine. Mine are red and stand out rather to strongly.  I will have to knock them back a bit.

Speaking of which....

p?i=b147416977c697ab9bd9a8d30823efea

Mine seperated into four or five pieces when I was applying them and a section came away while I was weathering..

I'll try and remove the bits on the flaps and leading edges and see what I can come up with for the missing piece.

• Like 2

On 30/08/2020 at 06:17, Greg Law said:

Since Greg bought this up I have checked my reference material, not that there are many clear pictures of the upper wings from this period, the only one that shows a clear image of the wing walkway lines like Hasegawa provide the decals for are of 111H aircraft being assembled in the factory, those look like a thin yellow line as well.  Most photos of aircraft that have been shot down or prepared for a sortie do not show any lines, whether they are painted out or just covered with grime is hard to tell?

11 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Since Greg bought this up I have checked my reference material, not that there are many clear pictures of the upper wings from this period, the only one that shows a clear image of the wing walkway lines like Hasegawa provide the decals for are of 111H aircraft being assembled in the factory, those look like a thin yellow line as well.  Most photos of aircraft that have been shot down or prepared for a sortie do not show any lines, whether they are painted out or just covered with grime is hard to tell?

Cheers Bob.

The easiest route for me to take is probably to remove them altogether. It shouldn't be too difficult, I think they are pretty fragile to tell the truth.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

The easiest route for me to take is probably to remove them altogether. It shouldn't be too difficult, I think they are pretty fragile to tell the truth.

A strip of masking tape and zip, quick and painless. :crosseyed:

• Like 1