Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4, Major Helmut Wick, JG 2

I was going to do an Airfix 1/48th Spitfire... when I recovered it from the crawlspace, I realised it was over half-built. I could not find the Airfix Defiant kit. The idea of doing an Airfix 1/24th Spitfire in the time remaining was daunting.

So, a Tamiya 1/48th Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 it is. I've had this for several years, and had clearly launched into it with great enthusiasm for enough time to spray the innards an inaccurate shade of RLM 02, and to fiddle with some Eduard aftermarket before losing steam and packing it all away. I hope that doesn't preclude its entry into this GB.

There are some Eduard Zoom cockpit embellishments, wheel-well canvas cover PE, and some die-cut masks for the canopy, together with CMK resin wheels and flying surfaces. I'll be using the kit stickers for Major Helmut Wick's machine, in the rather nice 71/02/65 scheme, together with the lovely RLM 04 yellow nose. Should be an interesting time getting the finish right for the hard-edge/softer-edge/brush-stippled camouflage.

Enough prattle - I'll make a start later this week when I've got closer to finishing the Corsair. Here's the usual photo of the bits:

Fokkers

• Like 11

It’s a great kit, I have one that is mostly painted up but had to go away a few years ago when my littlest arrived. Must dig it out and finish it.  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2020 at 1:08 AM, John Laidlaw said:

I'll be using the kit stickers for Major Helmut Wick's machine, in the rather nice 71/02/65 scheme, together with the lovely RLM 04 yellow nose. Should be an interesting time getting the finish right for the hard-edge/softer-edge/brush-stippled camouflage.

Will be watching along - I’m building his aircraft when he was the previous rank.

can I ask what you mean by hard edge/softer edge ?

Im looking to use white tac for the splinter cam on the wings and also a similar plan for the upper camo.

where are you looking to use a hard edge?

ive tried some of the tight mottling using a sponge, seems ok - have also bought a stiff stencil brush that I’ve yet to try...

any advice appreciated!

aH4Js9K.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like we'll both be looking over each other's shoulders, then 😁.

I could be wrong (for that read, "almost certainly wrong"), but I believe the demarcation between the 02/71 and the 65 to be hard-edged, or at least so tightly-feathered as to appear so at 1/48th scale. I am happy to be corrected, though.

I really like the effect you've got centred around the wing pivot - what method did you use for that?

Thanks- I’m building another Bf109 which is soft demarcation - wasn’t sure about this one, I will use tape on the wings - the upper cam seems to be a bit softer, but probably best I use tape there as well.

the area around the hole was a sponge, dipped in paint, patted on kitchen towel like dry brushing then dabbed on using a pair of tweezers.

some reference pics - leading edge deco not a hard demarcation !

na338ji.jpg

some great ref pics 

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2009/12/helmut-wick-his-me-109-wnr-5344.html?m=1

decals I’m using 

afgeqtd.jpg

• Like 4

All of which goes to prove why I should never take the word of the kit instructions - those are excellent references, Tim, thank you. It looks like even the wing leading edge is softer and irregular.

I also appreciate the description of the stippling method. I shall practice that before everything's put together and painted.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the silence - I had progressed a little further, and then started the clean-up and test fitting of the CMK resin flying surfaces. Suffice it to say that I'm probably only going to use the ailerons, as the rest of the parts are incorrectly sized and have soft details. That's a lesson for me from myself who bought the parts several years ago. Hey ho 🙂. I've been spoilt by Barracudacast and Ultracast.

Anyway, having avoided taking a hammer to it all, I have completed the cockpit using the Eduard Zoom set (which worked very well, and give it a sufficiently busy look, and joined the fuselage. There will be more progress soon, as I intend to crack on this weekend a bit.

Cockpit

Cockpit, assemble!

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back on this - fuselage is together, wings in place. I'm going to paint the cowl separately as it's such a good fit.

I've switched over to Humbrol enamels for this, as I'm on a strict no-buy policy. I was laid off from work on Tuesday, which to put it mildly, sucks, along with the rest of this year. Still, here are the RLM 02 bits on the underside sprayed, and I'll make some progress now I have time. I'll attend to the paint ridges when it's cured.

Landing gear bays

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

49 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm sorry to hear your news John :( Under those circumstances I can forgive you the use of Humbrol ;) 

Hope things pick up for you soon.

Cheers,

Stew

Haha! As soon as I'm back on my feet, I'm ordering some Colourcoats!

Thanks, Stew!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Please accept my apologies John, I just noticed my fat sausage fingers hit the like instead of the sad face emoji. I feel bad about that and hope you’ll be ok with your $ situation. 

Nothing to feel bad about, Dennis! We'll be OK - things will just be a bit tight until I can find another job, that's all. Good thing I hoard model stuff 🙂.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hey John, If you need help with anything let me know please. If I have it and dint need it its yours. Quick question, are you interested in Wildcats/Martlets ? If so D/M me I may have something for you. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis - that's extremely kind of you to offer! I will let you know if I do.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

I am unfortunately going to have to bow out of this build. In addition to this kit fighting me all the way, life is not great at the moment and I need to hibernate for a while, find a job and calm down.

Apologies to the hosts.

No apology necessary John, I hope things pick up for you soon,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Amazingly, two very positive phone interviews for a new job have improved my mood to the point where my mojo has been restored. I therefore grabbed the model from its box and sprayed the RLM 65:

Blue!

Then touched up the RLM 02, and started to freehand the RLM 71. I have some tidying to do (ahem - quite a bit, including some melted styrene seepage on one of the flaps 😁), some straightening, and a bit of tightening. But, frankly, I am pleased it's got this far:

Camo start

Humbrol enamel is odd - I thin with lacquer thinner, but the finish of the paint depends on which brand I use. Tamiya produces a glossy finish, Mr. Color Thinner means it dries matt. Ultimately it's not an issue, as it will be varnished, but it's interesting.

I can't guarantee I'll hit the deadline for the build, but I'll give it the good old college try.

• Like 5

I have a 109E in the stash with Wick's name on it too, so following on with great interest.

Your doing a cracking job John! I quite understand your earlier actions - if your head isn't in the right place, likely something will stuff up. Great to hear your better news, and to see this one progressing so well.

PS good luck with the job opportunities! :) 

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Thanks 1