F-RSIN ATR72 with Air New Zealand OldModelDecals

On 9/1/2020 at 3:39 PM, Hayden Northcott said:

Would Tamiya masking tape be better then tape from a trade store?

Not necessarily, the trick with masking something like that is to seal the edges of the tape with the colour you're masking, in this case yellow, then any colour bleed won't show & the black shouldn't be able to get under the sealed edges. She is looking really smart in those later photos. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Not necessarily, the trick with masking something like that is to seal the edges of the tape with the colour you're masking, in this case yellow, then any colour bleed won't show & the black shouldn't be able to get under the sealed edges. She is looking really smart in those later photos. :)

Steve.

Thanks for the tip :)
That sounds like a simple way to do it.

• Like 1

De-ice boots are painted.
Overall I'm much happy with these compared to the decal version.
A few minor touch-ups are needed.

spacer.png

Over the weekend, I also managed to finish off the propellers, and made a start on the landing gear. The nose wheels are so tiny!

Hard to believe that it's nearly finished!

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Time for another update.
I've been doing some work on the landing gear.

spacer.png

I've mixed up some matt black for the wheels and given them a first coat. I choose not to use a primer on them.
The oleo and strut I've painted black as a base coat, then painted chrome silver.

spacer.png

Technically I imagine that there should be some white or grey on the oleo and strut, but I figured that they are small enough to not worry.
I'll touch it all up once they are glued together.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Time has gotten away on me, and life had gotten a bit busy....
Here is ZK-MVJ sitting on it's landing gear, without the doors fitted.

spacer.png

And now with props (and gear doors) fitted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All that is left is a bit of weathering and maybe some varnish.
I'm yet to figure out how to do either of these. I'm looking for a spray can solution, and I'm not sure if it should be gloss or not.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

Beautiful ATR72. I just put in an order for one. Guess what? I want to build the fern leaf marking plane too. 
I deliberately booked one ATR flight from Christchurch to Wellington during one of my NZ holidays and reserved seats right smack at the propeller so that I can watch it from start to end.

What a roller coaster ride that flight was when it approached Wellington. The windiest city was a challenge to land for light plane and I rocked and rolled all the way onto the runway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cklasse said:

Beautiful ATR72. I just put in an order for one. Guess what? I want to build the fern leaf marking plane too. 
I deliberately booked one ATR flight from Christchurch to Wellington during one of my NZ holidays and reserved seats right smack at the propeller so that I can watch it from start to end.

What a roller coaster ride that flight was when it approached Wellington. The windiest city was a challenge to land for light plane and I rocked and rolled all the way onto the runway.

Thank you.
Are you getting the same F-RSIN model & decals from Old Model Decals?
Wellington can be an interesting place to fly in & out of on a typical day!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hayden Northcott said:

Thank you.
Are you getting the same F-RSIN model & decals from Old Model Decals?
Wellington can be an interesting place to fly in & out of on a typical day!

Yup, decal from Old Model and plane is F-Rsin. 
It was fortunately that I had booked a flight from Christchurch to Wellington, not knowing the Kaikoura earthquake would struck during my South Island holiday, cutting the ferry service.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...