F-RSIN ATR72 with Air New Zealand OldModelDecals

I've also been doing some work on the propellers - they're rather fiddly!
At this point, I've removed them from the spruce, and tidied them up.

The kit comes with the option for making either 4 or 6 bladed props.
There are different blades and spinners, depending on what option you need.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

A grey aeroplane!

I've used Tamiya fine surface primer.
I had read that this is the same grey as Boeing BAC 707 grey.
Does anyone know what paint I can use for touch-up for this? I haven't yet managed to find anything.
I'm wanting a pre-mix, and not having to mix it each time to try and match it, as I've got a number of other things I want to paint with this colour.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I added this panel line for the tail cone. My ambitions were greater then my ability, so I ended up leaving it with just this one.
To do this I used tape as a guide, then cut it with an xacto-knife, then deepened the cut with a triangle file. It worked okay, but I'd like to try a razor saw next time, I just have to find where to get one from in New Zealand.

spacer.png

Quite enjoying the flat grey look!

• Like 4

You're doing a cracking job there Hayden! Having the same kit (plus their ATR42 as well), I really appreciate how neat and tidy you have got it looking.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

I'd mentioned at the start of the build that there was a hole in the LH side of the fuselage.
This was filled with putty, but ended up coming out when I was sanding.
Here I have glued in some small pieces of scrap plastic.
Not shown, but this sanded and filled nicely.

spacer.png

Pictured in the background is the 1:144 Bus that I'm also working on.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

All masked up & ready to go.
I used Tamiya Masking Tape for Curves (2mm) then masking tape from there. I'm not sure if I should have used a better masking tape product or not.

spacer.pngspacer.png

My masking was a bit of a pain to remove, but here you go.

The black was a very satisfying paint to apply.
I used Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black.
It sprayed on very nicely & only took two light coats. I had a much better experienced compared to the white!

It had bleed a little under the Tamiya tape, it's possibly a bit thick for overlaping with.
Any tips on this? You can see it in this first image with the black paint.

Looking at images of Air New Zealand's ATRs in this colour scheme, there are a mixture of pointed and curved black bellies. I've gone with the pointed for simplicity.
I'm undecided on what to do with the wheel wells at this point. The landing gear with be out, as the plane will be in a taxiing configuration (based on the props).

spacer.png

I couldn't find many images showing the black on top of the fuselage.
At first I had the black ending at the forward end of the dorsal fin, but then found an image that showed a curve, so I re-masked part of it, and resprayed

spacer.png

By re-spraying the black, it has resulted in the black being slightly forward of where it should be.

spacer.png.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Finally time for decals!
I'm sure this must be one of the top moments when building a model.
Top moments for me would be initial gluing, spraying and decals.

spacer.png

I had a few stressful moments applying the two doors. I think that was because they are rather thin since most of them is clear.

As you can see, the decal for the cargo door is larger then the model lines. Cheat lines?
Talking with John at OldModel Decals, the door lines are incorrect for the ATR72, or at least AirNZ's ones.
If I'd known this earlier, I would have filled the lines in with putty.

I've also put the Air New Zealand name too high. It should be overlapping the cargo door.
John is doing me some customs decals for another model (Hawk 1:144 DeHavilland Comet) and will put some replacements in.

spacer.png

Quite pleasing to see it looking more real!

• Like 5

It’s looking grand, that “simple” paint scheme is very smart. I appreciate it’s a bit late but with regards to the masking, I’ve had some success with using a thinned Matt varnish to seal the edge of the tape.

in your case I would have painted the white, let it dry, gloss or Matt varnish it, let it dry, tape as appropriate then a thin Matt varnish the edge & when dried paint away. The only bleeding (if any) is of the varnish which is quite fixable. It’s not totally foolproof but it works 99.9% of the time.

• Like 3

More decals.
Currently this is a freighter version... :P

spacer.png

The fern decals went on easily. I did both sides at the same time so that I could ensure that they both matched up from the top and bottom.

spacer.png

Also shown are the de-ice boots. The decal sheet didn't provide enough of these, and I struggled to get them to sit nicely and evenly.
Not shown, is how they fit on the lower surface of the wing. I couldn't get them to line up, and they wouldn't sit flat. So I'll remove them and paint these on. They're also on the hori-stab.
I used MicroSet for the decals. It smells like vinegar, and a quick google search confirmed that this was an expensive bottle of vinegar...

spacer.png

The Koru logo needed to be cut to fit around the antenna on the vertical fin.
This was a bit of guess work, and I think that overall the decal is positioned a little high.
Overall I'm happy with how it's looking.
I'm looking forward to putting on the cabin windows next :) 

• Like 7

I've also been working on the propellers.
These are small & fiddly. Preferable these would be a single piece, but I suppose this way you can change the pitch angle.
I've glued these in a fine pitch for simplicity. Ideally I wanted to glue them in a feathered position, as if the aircraft was parked. So mine will be in a taxi-configuration.

spacer.png

In hind-sight, a fixture of some sort would have helped align the blades more evenly spaced, rather then eye-balled.

Here it is, now as a passenger version, with the cabin windows applied.

spacer.png

Here is the cabin entry door.
It had a similar issue as the cargo door. The panel lines of the door were difficult to see under the fern detail.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Looking really nice, Hayden. Coming along beautifully...looks like you can almost see the finish line! I am really enjoying not just your descriptions and accounts of your experience thus far, but the issues your facing and working through. That is what makes for a nice class on making models better and better. To answer a couple of early questions...the Tamiya Surface Primer is indeed NOT Boeing Gray. If are looking to find a pre mixed version, then I would highly recommend this:  http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/index.php?id_product=8261&controller=product   Keep in mind that this is flat, and prepared for application with an airbrush. But it is spot on. You also asked about touch up for the Tamiya Surface Primer...just use more primer, and then lightly sand away the rough edges. You can even wet sand and fine sand the primer to a shiny beautiful finish, which would be necessary if you were desiring a natural metal finish. I use this stuff exclusively, and it ALWAYS gives a great result. The Tamiya TS-26 is the go-to for bright white enamel that will NEVER yellow. And I use nearly if not all of a can most of the time on most of my white models, and sometimes more. So far so good! Watching your build for the finish! Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 11:15 PM, Challenger350Pilot said:

Looking really nice, Hayden. Coming along beautifully...looks like you can almost see the finish line! I am really enjoying not just your descriptions and accounts of your experience thus far, but the issues your facing and working through. That is what makes for a nice class on making models better and better. To answer a couple of early questions...the Tamiya Surface Primer is indeed NOT Boeing Gray. If are looking to find a pre mixed version, then I would highly recommend this:  http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/index.php?id_product=8261&controller=product   Keep in mind that this is flat, and prepared for application with an airbrush. But it is spot on. You also asked about touch up for the Tamiya Surface Primer...just use more primer, and then lightly sand away the rough edges. You can even wet sand and fine sand the primer to a shiny beautiful finish, which would be necessary if you were desiring a natural metal finish. I use this stuff exclusively, and it ALWAYS gives a great result. The Tamiya TS-26 is the go-to for bright white enamel that will NEVER yellow. And I use nearly if not all of a can most of the time on most of my white models, and sometimes more. So far so good! Watching your build for the finish! Thanks for sharing! 

Thanks for the tips. I'd read somewhere that the colour was Boeing Grey, suppose that may have been that person's opinion. 
The idea is to use this primer as the final colour on some up coming models.
Good to know that the TS-26 shouldn't yellow! I will be sticking to spray cans for the time being.
I'm hoping that the finish of this model isn't too far off...!

I've made some more progress on the propellers.
Sadly they haven't worked out as well as I was hoping.
I did enjoy painting the yellow! This is Tamiya's Lemon Yellow, X8
spacer.png

spacer.png

I thought that it would be easy to mask over yellow, then paint the black.

But it looks like the black bleed through the masking tape.
Would Tamiya masking tape be better then tape from a trade store?

spacer.png

I'll need to to some touch ups here.