F-RSIN ATR72 with Air New Zealand OldModelDecals

This is my first serious build.
Prior to this I'd glued a few kitset models together as a child & did build a 1:200 A320.

The kit is a 1:144 scale F-RSIN ATR72, sourced here in New Zealand through OldModelDecals with my choice of decals - https://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/ATR72-DHC7-8-Saab340-CV580.html
Originally I wanted to do the Pacific Wave livery, but ended up settling on the Trade Mark White livery.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Hayden Northcott
Resized images
  • Like 9

As you can see, there is quite a bit of flash on the spruce. This cleaned up quite easily with a sanding stick & was quite satisfying.
The kit gives the option of 4 or 6 bladed propellers.
One piece had fallen off the tree in transit (LDG door), and the left side of the fuselage had a thin part below where the wing joins & had a hole.

I'll follow this, I'm quite keen to get one of these to fill out my collection of Air NZ aircraft, especially as these come in & out of the local airport quite often. I see OM is out of stock just now, hopefully he will get more.

Steve.

Hi Steve.
Great to see other NZ's here! I'm sure there's (sadly) plenty of ATRs there in Nelson at the moment.
John at OM's is usually quite quick to respond to his emails, so maybe make contact with him. He's doing some custom decals for a BEA comet for me at the moment :)

• Thanks 1

Hi Hayden, not so much now but certainly during lockdown & on level 3 there were, I counted 17 ATRs & Q300s parked up on the taxiways the first day of level 3 when I could venture that far, a walk around the perimeter track blew some cobwebs out. One of my sons who cleans them in the evening said they were down to about 2 a night during level 4 but they're pretty much back to normal now, between 5 & 7 an evening, so it seems as though the domestic network is close to what it was before lockdown, I guess a lot of Kiwis who would have gone overseas are flying around there own country just now, can't be a bad thing. :) Good idea to give John a buzz on these.

Steve.

Hello @Hayden Northcott, I have this ATR-72 kit and the scheme I want to do is the black tail white/black fern too! Thank you for giving the link to a source, very much appreciated!

Back in 2017 I was lucky enough to pay a visit to Nelson and see an old school friend of mine who lives in Marybank, and we walked around the airfield perimeter a couple of times. It was brilliant seeing these planes come in. I know (I think!) it is a different aircraft, but the tail artwork is so good!

New Zealand 2017 Compact 172

I think this is a Bombardier Dash-8 of some flavour/type (-300?), but it shows the style I am after. I also want to get a Bombardier kit and transfer scheme the same too, as I flew in both types getting to Nelson from Christchurch. What a view there was as we turned around over the Tasman bay and the mudflats off Nelson.

I will be watching this, most intently!

All the best, Ray

• Like 4

Here is the inside of the LH fuselage.
For a balance weight, I used a bolt. I had to ground the bolt down a bit for it to fit.
I glued some spruce to make a bit of a cage for it. Has anyone used hot glue for this before?

spacer.png

Prior to gluing the two halves together, I carried out a number of dry fits. The wheel-well sections needed a bit of sanding to get the fit right, and I had to figure out where to position it to suit the wheel cut-out section piece.

spacer.png

This is the separate piece for the wheel cut-outs in the fuselage.
It's fit isn't quite right, but I'll sand and fill it as needed.

spacer.png

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Hayden Northcott said:

Thanks Ray.
Yes, the picture you have is the Dash8 Q300. Air New Zealand only have the Q300 series of Dash8's.
Have you got the same F-RSIN ATR kit?
I was quite stocked to find someone that makes decals for New Zealand aircraft!

Hello Hayden, I have the kit supplied with the blue tails NZ markings, I was going to do that one if this black version was not around! They did/do numerous marking versions. This has suddenly gone very high up my to do list!

Cheers,

Ray

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

@Ray S Ozmods do a kit of the Q300 in 1/144. I have one & it looks of similar quality to Hayden's ATR kit. I've not done any assembly yet.

Steve.

@stevehnz, thanks for that link! I had a look and almost fell off the chair when I saw shipping costs to the UK! I feel your pain when/if you order stuff from here!

When I got over the shock, I thought 'Hannants!', checked there and they have one in stock! With the right markings...

Cheers and all the best,

Ray

• Like 1

....which you bought? :)  Shipping from the UK to here used to be not too bad, but lately with the limited air services to & fro, a lot of outfits are using courier services, DHL etc & they get way spendy. I've virtually given up shopping on your side of the globe, the local auction site is getting a hiding though. ;):D

Steve.

47 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

....which you bought? :)  

Steve.

Oh yes! Just completed the purchase, they only had one and I was not going to let it get away!

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hayden Northcott said:

For a balance weight, I used a bolt. 

Hi @Hayden Northcott welcome to Britmodeller. Nice subject to start off with.

Hope you won't mind too much if I suggest using some lead fishing weights (or modern non-toxic equivalent) for your nose weights. They are relatively heavy for their small size and don't take up much space. so can be fitted right into the nose of the aircraft where the best results will be achieved. Use white pva glue liberally applied as an adhesive, makes a nice mess and conforms to the shape of the space you are filling. You can even buy stuff called Liquid Gravity, which is essentially thousands of tiny little lead like balls. Bolts and coins aren't really as heavy as you might think, for their size.

Anyhow, good luck with the ATR-72, all the best.

• Thanks 1

Upper and lower wing halves are glued together, and flap hinges fitted.

I've used Tamiya Basic-type putty to fill in some of the gaps.
As you can see, there is detail of the aileron control push-rods, and locator pads for the engines.

Not yet glued on are "winglets".
I was surprised to learn that the ATR72 has a tiny winglet on the tip of each aileron.

spacer.png

Here are the engines.
They were satisfying to clean up!
There's some detail on the engine cowlings.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I used a peg to hold them while the glue set.

spacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Smudge said:

Hi @Hayden Northcott welcome to Britmodeller. Nice subject to start off with.

Hope you won't mind too much if I suggest using some lead fishing weights (or modern non-toxic equivalent) for your nose weights. They are relatively heavy for their small size and don't take up much space. so can be fitted right into the nose of the aircraft where the best results will be achieved. Use white pva glue liberally applied as an adhesive, makes a nice mess and conforms to the shape of the space you are filling. You can even buy stuff called Liquid Gravity, which is essentially thousands of tiny little lead like balls. Bolts and coins aren't really as heavy as you might think, for their size.

Anyhow, good luck with the ATR-72, all the best.

Thanks for the welcome.
Interesting to use PVA glue. I suppose doing that would to make a bit of a plug would ensure that the weight wouldn't move.
For the bolt, I weighed it, and is about the weight mentioned in the instructions.
I'll keep this in mind, and find some lead-like product for the next build!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hayden Northcott said:

Thanks for the welcome.
Interesting to use PVA glue. I suppose doing that would to make a bit of a plug would ensure that the weight wouldn't move.
For the bolt, I weighed it, and is about the weight mentioned in the instructions.
I'll keep this in mind, and find some lead-like product for the next build!

I don't know if it's available in New Zealand but for many years I have used 6mm self-adhesive lead strip to make nose weights. It's normally used in stained glass work and I was introduced to it by a friend who is an art teacher. It comes on a reel like an old-fashioned cine film and you just cut off as much as you need. Buying a reel isn't cheap but it lasts for years. See post #6 in this thread

Dave G

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

....which you bought? :)  Shipping from the UK to here used to be not too bad, but lately with the limited air services to & fro, a lot of outfits are using courier services, DHL etc & they get way spendy. I've virtually given up shopping on your side of the globe, the local auction site is getting a hiding though. ;):D

Steve.

Progressing nicely Hayden, I have the Italeri ATR 42 to finish one day. I wish they had also did the 72 so I can do a Virgin Australia version, I don't want to fork out for a F-Rsin kit at this stage, I have enough other airliners to build that will take less fuss.

@stevehnz Yes I think we need to wait a while to send/receive stuff from the mother country. I attempted to send a small letter size pack with decals and some small parts to the UK about a few weeks ago and it was going to cost $25! The previous week I sent a similar pack to the USA and it was only $3.

• Sad 1

Fuselage is all putty-ed up!
I used Tamiya putty, basic grey. The stuff is quite smelly, and surprisingly it goes off pretty quick.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sanding is a bit of a tedious job, but should hopefully be rewarding!
I'm using some wet&dry sandpaper for this. I found that it works best wet, and not dry.

• Like 4