Winter whitewash by brush?

Jnunu

Hi all. Will be venturing back into the hobby with a 1/35 Tamiya SD.KFZ.7/1. Would like to paint it as per box art - winter whitewash. I have no airbrush and little skill (first model in 30 + years). Any hints/tips/paint type recommendations gratefully received! Research so far is jammed with airbrush and hairspray 😬

Thanks 

You could try using washable white camo paint like this one by Mig Ammo

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-colors/126-washable-white-camo-8432074000242.html

There are bound to be similar products from other companies if you prefer.

You would normally spray this stuff on but I reckon you could get by with a brush - the trick is that after it has dried this stuff can then be partially removed and smeared with water (like wet cotton buds).

Cheers,

Nigel

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jnunu said:

Hi all. Will be venturing back into the hobby with a 1/35 Tamiya SD.KFZ.7/1. Would like to paint it as per box art - winter whitewash. I have no airbrush and little skill (first model in 30 + years). Any hints/tips/paint type recommendations gratefully received! Research so far is jammed with airbrush and hairspray 😬

Thanks 

With a bit of practice I'd guess you could do it with a fairly hefty dry brushing. Base colour on and then draw the dry brush white wash down wards and perhaps stiple it on flat surfaces... Best bet, get something to practice on before committing it to the model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nheather said:

You could try using washable white camo paint like this one by Mig Ammo

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-colors/126-washable-white-camo-8432074000242.html

There are bound to be similar products from other companies if you prefer.

You would normally spray this stuff on but I reckon you could get by with a brush - the trick is that after it has dried this stuff can then be partially removed and smeared with water (like wet cotton buds).

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. 

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

With a bit of practice I'd guess you could do it with a fairly hefty dry brushing. Base colour on and then draw the dry brush white wash down wards and perhaps stiple it on flat surfaces... Best bet, get something to practice on before committing it to the model.

Thanks for the advice. 

In the field it would have been roughly applied with whatever was available. There's a picture online that I now can't find of a Pz IV being whitewashed using rags wrapped round bundles of straw!

So applying by brush on the model is perfectly fine. Spraying would give the wrong look anyway. The washable paint sounds like a winner to me. AK Interactive also offer a Washable Agent that you can add to any paint. Whether it works with other brands I don't know

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

In the field it would have been roughly applied with whatever was available. There's a picture online that I now can't find of a Pz IV being whitewashed using rags wrapped round bundles of straw!

So applying by brush on the model is perfectly fine. Spraying would give the wrong look anyway. The washable paint sounds like a winner to me. AK Interactive also offer a Washable Agent that you can add to any paint. Whether it works with other brands I don't know

Too true.

Also the real whitewash was water-based so that it could be removed after winter, and as such wasn’t very durable so would weather quite quickly.

Also its opacity was quite low so I imagined is was slopped on quite thickly to get coverage.  I can imagine the response the commander would get from the crews  if he went round saying “remember if you want a decent finish, use many light coats rather than one thick coat, that way you’ll get a nice even and smooth finish without any loss of detail”

Cheers,

Nigel

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Thanks for that.