`/72nd Italeri Sunderland Mk.I, 230 Sqn RAF Seletar, Singapore, 1938-39 `silver bullet'

21 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

She's come really well, hasn't she?  Top job there, my friend.

Thanks mate,..... yeah I think we beat it into submission LOL

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

a lovely Sunderland you've built. The filling of the panel lines was a good decision, looks much better this way. The silver painjob is a nice change to the more common camo jobs, looks quite classy 👍

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

That's a real gem Tony, really lovely model! I bought one of these when they first came out but lost the will to live when trying to make the panel lines look half decent by partly filling them and rescribing, so it went back in it's box. Seeing how much better yours looks with having the lines actually filled in, I might just unbox it again. One day...!!

Cracking job!

Keith

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Tony,

a lovely Sunderland you've built. The filling of the panel lines was a good decision, looks much better this way. The silver painjob is a nice change to the more common camo jobs, looks quite classy 👍

Cheers

Markus

Cheers Shorty,..... yeah glad I filled it and it is nice to have a silver Sunderland in the collection.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's a real gem Tony, really lovely model! I bought one of these when they first came out but lost the will to live when trying to make the panel lines look half decent by partly filling them and rescribing, so it went back in it's box. Seeing how much better yours looks with having the lines actually filled in, I might just unbox it again. One day...!!

Cracking job!

Keith

Thanks Keith,....... yeah go for it,...... when you look at the real aircraft it has remarkably few panel lines and everything is sealed. Apart from those it isn`t a bad kit and builds up quite quickly and easily,

Thanks fella`s,

Tony

4 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Just seen the WiP and all the effort that went into sanding this! Great work, the effort certainly paid off :)

Thanks very much,..... yeah I`m glad I decided to fill and sand those seams!

Cheers

Tony

2 hours ago, RussG said:

Fantastic build!

Just as an aside, Sunderland L2160 was the aircraft that featured in the 1942 film 'Coastal Command'...just a bit of trivia.....

Russ

Thanks Russ and I never knew that mate,....... thanks for telling us all. I`ll have to dig it out and watch it again now. 

23 minutes ago, woody37 said:

That’s superb mate, you’ve done a great job off filling those trenches. Definitely the right move on a silver finish. Like the different decalling on each side too :)

Cheers Neil,.... yeah glad I filled them in,...... and it took some umming and ah`ing on whether to do the different decals on each side,..... but I`m glad I did now. I might lay off Sunderland`s for a while now though!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

She is just gorgeous and well worth all the effort in filling in those trenches.

Cheers,

Alistair

Cheers Ali,...... yeah glad I bit the bullet and went for it.

• Like 2

Another super build Tony - lovely finish and the reworked panel lines look pretty good to me. Lovely - and thanks for the accuracy notes - wasn't aware of all that.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Another super build Tony - lovely finish and the reworked panel lines look pretty good to me. Lovely - and thanks for the accuracy notes - wasn't aware of all that.

Cheers

Malcolm

Cheers Malcolm and no worries mate.

• Like 1

Wow! What an absolutely stunning build my friend! 👍 The Sunderland looks great in the silver finish...makes a refreshing change from white and camouflage. Love the odd markings too. Would love to have a go at one but it just won't fit in the cabinet.

That's a beauty - I can see why you filled the panel lines! I actually like that you left the wing tanks though - with no panels left it might have looked toylike but as it is the result is great!

If you want to do more silver aircraft with lo-vuz roundels there's always the Stranraer/Scapa..

12 hours ago, Old Man said:

A beautiful model, Sir, and an epic build.

Great stuff!

Thanks Old Man,..... glad you like it.

11 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Wow! What an absolutely stunning build my friend! 👍 The Sunderland looks great in the silver finish...makes a refreshing change from white and camouflage. Love the odd markings too. Would love to have a go at one but it just won't fit in the cabinet.

Thank ever so much,... glad you like the odd markings too,...... I`ve not found anywhere to put this one yet,..... I`ve run out of room! 

10 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

That's a beauty - I can see why you filled the panel lines! I actually like that you left the wing tanks though - with no panels left it might have looked toylike but as it is the result is great!

If you want to do more silver aircraft with lo-vuz roundels there's always the Stranraer/Scapa..

Thanks Vulcanicity,...... and glad you agree with the panel lines,..... like you I thought that it might look a bit toylike with nothing,...... although those upper wing tank areas are very deep still. 

I`ve got quite a few options for silver with low viz roundels and codes,...... the Stranny is a possibility at some stage, along with a Gladiator, Vildebeest and others,.... but I`m not aware of a kit of a Scapa apart from the old Contrail vacuform?

9 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Brilliant job Tony. That is some excellent seam filling. The different sides really make good use of the model.

Thanks Greg,...... glad you approve of the odd sides too,..... glad I did it now but I really wasn`t sure!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Lovely job as usual Tony. It certainly looks all the better for having the shipyard boiler plates faired in!  Unless you get up close I was struck by how much you CAN'T make out panel lines on the Sunderland, like most aircraft really.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Lovely job as usual Tony. It certainly looks all the better for having the shipyard boiler plates faired in!  Unless you get up close I was struck by how much you CAN'T make out panel lines on the Sunderland, like most aircraft really.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Thanks Davey,.....  yeah too right about those panel lines,...... me too, when I looked at reference photos, especially the silver ones, I couldn`t see any panel lines. 

I swear this model is jinxed,...... last night, 24th Nov, 2020 it took a nose dive off the shelf, hit the furniture on the way down, snapping the troublesome left wing off,..... opening up the seam of the upper fuselage and shedding props, floats and beaching gear! Having collected together what I could,..... I`m still short a set of float struts, one propeller and a few beaching gear wheels!  

I may repair it and give it a camouflaged finish,..... I`m not sure yet!

You really invested a lot of care and effort in this conversion. The result is amazing. A pre-war all metal Sunderland is a rare sight. It is sad to hear about this unfortunate flying accident.😢 I hope that you will be able to do a complete restauration to static display.

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 11:45 AM, 112 Squadron said:

You really invested a lot of care and effort in this conversion. The result is amazing. A pre-war all metal Sunderland is a rare sight. It is sad to hear about this unfortunate flying accident.😢 I hope that you will be able to do a complete restauration to static display.

Thanks Mate,..... I don`t think it will be silver if it gets repaired,..... but never say never! 

On 11/25/2020 at 1:28 PM, Homer said:

She's a beauty well done 👏 

Thanks mate,..... not not any more it isn`t,...... she`s crahed and burned!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1