Jump to content

Italieri He 111H-6 +++FINISHED+++


Recommended Posts

Placeholder for the moment.

 

Here is the venerable but still good (i think) He 111 H 6 from Italieri. One of my childhood favorites as it had the "right" upper turret on it.

 

There are three options in the box two of which are torpedo carrying KG 26 machines. I quite fancy the sand coloured one but we'll see. I;m possibly doing it wheels up too.

 

I haven't built a 111 for a long time so i'm looking forward to it.

 

Cheers Greg 

 

50134048278_20a1c4b7be_z.jpg

 

50134596866_ef46cd0695_z.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great choice Greg, I have builded this many moons ago and I was quite fond of it.

Have a great build.

 

Cheers,

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good  choice Greg.  This 1H+FK is on my list too in 1/48 of cause. 

Just curious, why the wheels up. Personally I like the way the Heinkel sits on the ground. I built your kit back in the eighties.

Good luck with it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Good  choice Greg.  This 1H+FK is on my list too in 1/48 of cause. 

Just curious, why the wheels up. Personally I like the way the Heinkel sits on the ground. I built your kit back in the eighties.

Good luck with it.

Hi Greg,

 

I had this idea that I could build it wheels up in flight dropping a torpedo. It would need a base with water effect on it too. But then again I'm always full.of ideas at the start of a project. I will see how it goes. I am also going to be doing builds on the BoB GB as well so it will depend on how much time I have to play with 😏

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my all time favourite kits since I built my first one, which was in a Revell/Italeri box. 

The moulding of the various guns supplied is, or at least was, particularly fine and many MG15s especially have found their way into other projects. I think there are MG81s and a MG/FF as well?

The only construction issue that springs to mind is that the wing roots are a bit shallow on the underside. I've seen it recommended that the roots are packed to increase the depth but I've always preferred to build up the exterior with a bit of Miliput. 

It's maybe not quite on a par with the new Airfix kits but definitely still a contender. 

John 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2020 at 12:26 AM, John said:

One of my all time favourite kits since I built my first one, which was in a Revell/Italeri box. 

The moulding of the various guns supplied is, or at least was, particularly fine and many MG15s especially have found their way into other projects. I think there are MG81s and a MG/FF as well?

The only construction issue that springs to mind is that the wing roots are a bit shallow on the underside. I've seen it recommended that the roots are packed to increase the depth but I've always preferred to build up the exterior with a bit of Miliput. 

It's maybe not quite on a par with the new Airfix kits but definitely still a contender. 

John 

Hi John,

 

Yes there are alternative weapons provided, which are nicely molded. 

 

I have made a start on mine, and have the fuselage and wings assembled. Fit at the wing roots is a bit off but I will play around with it before committing glue to secure the wings to the fuselage. 

 

I am currently attempting to rescribe  the raised panel.lines. I will post a couple of progress shots shortly.

 

Cheers Greg 👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Greg. Looking forward to seeing this in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Looking forward to seeing this in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix 👍

 

It's a very straightforward kit and has been trouble free so far 😄

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Greg

I have made a start on mine as well. I took out the big guns - grade 120 sandpaper to the wing roots so they are flush with the wing undersides. Only a small amount of filler is needed in the gap.

 

regards Toby

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi Greg

I have made a start on mine as well. I took out the big guns - grade 120 sandpaper to the wing roots so they are flush with the wing undersides. Only a small amount of filler is needed in the gap.

 

regards Toby

Thanks Toby, 

 

I will best it in mind when I am attaching mine 👍

 

All the best Greg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Folks!

 

Here is some progress to report. As mentioned in my earlier update i have been busy rescribing the main assemblies. This has been time consuming but i think makes for a better looking surface for the model. The raised panel lines were quite prominent and i used a scriber freehand, simply running the pin along the raised line until a groove was formed then applying more pressure to deepen the panel line. Some of these are maybe a bit too deep but not of Matchbox proportions.

 

I then added the wings to the fuselage and the tail planes. If you look at the head on shot you may see things look a bit off. I think either the tail rudder is warped or the left wing (as you look at the photo) is  too high. The wings on the upper wing roots had a reasonable fit although i did apply filler all around the joins to try and hide the seam.

 

Theres still some clean up required al over but overall i am quite happy with what i have done so far.

 

TFL Cheers Greg

 

50179471121_64113c57d9_z.jpg

 

50179471096_fca3af973c_z.jpg

 

  

 

50179722097_e3fd74d603_z.jpg

 

50179722072_aa4ee2065c_z.jpg

 

50178936048_3cb9e65a57_z.jpg

 

50179721977_c1143dfae6_z.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Looks like a twisted fuselage.  I had this on my Val. In the end I didn't really notice it.

Thanks Greg 👍

 

I'm hoping that will be the case 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an idea Greg .Howabout cutting off the tail along the panel line just before tail and with a very small twist of the tail clockwise and some light sanding its all sorted .

 

Disclaimer .This idea may just be a load of B**locks with no chance of working . 

 

Cheers

Alistair

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job Greg.

I like wat you did with the rescribing. It is a Pitty that the fuselage is a bit warped, but I know that moder models have this problem. I think it hase to do with the shape of the fuselage. I can remember that I had the same problem with a 1/48 revell kit a few years back.

 

Cheers,

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that your starboard wing appears to have excessive dihedral, so I suggest you check that before committing to drastic surgery.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your comments guys.

 

I'll give it some thought before going any further. 

Cheers Greg 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Greg

 

On checking my Italeri He111 I think the fin is OK. The problem is with the wing roots. I suggest that both wings are removed, the inboard wing section leading edge should be horizontal. I think there is a moulding problem with the wing lower surface edges being too deep. This pushes up the dihedral.

 

Good luck if you try this drastic surgery Greg.

 

regards Toby

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Greg

 

On checking my Italeri He111 I think the fin is OK. The problem is with the wing roots. I suggest that both wings are removed, the inboard wing section leading edge should be horizontal. I think there is a moulding problem with the wing lower surface edges being too deep. This pushes up the dihedral.

 

Good luck if you try this drastic surgery Greg.

 

regards Toby

Yikes!!

 

So you reckon I should remove both wings and fit a shim? 

 

I dunno if I'm up to that but I'll give it some thought....😕

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite Greg. Off with the wings with a sharp knife and then trim back the lower wing inboard edge. No shim needed at the top surface. If liquid cement like Tamiya was used, brush some on the join first to disolve the original glue.

 

Regards Toby

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, having looked at it - AGAIN - i am hoping i can fix this by just doing the left wing. 

 

So far i have taken it off with no damage to the rest of the model and looking at it from the front the other wing and the tail look ok.

 

So next is reattaching the wing at the correct angle.......

 

50190936376_34c338fdff_z.jpg

 

Cheers Greg 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Hope you manage to get the wing sorted and re-attached okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...