Indonesia wants to buy Austria's Eurofighters?

Slater

have they found some money down the back of the sofa?

First it was Ospreys, now typhoons. Really?

I will believe when I see it

Andy

8 hours ago, Red Dot said:

have they found some money down the back of the sofa?

First it was Ospreys, now typhoons. Really?

I will believe when I see it

Andy

We have not. Just as we don't have money to stop COVID-19 from killing everyone.

• Sad 3

If Austria is serious about disposal of the Typhoons ( eurofighter ) I would rather see them go to New Zealand. It still seems strange with NZ's history it has decided not have a self defence force.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Britman said:

If Austria is serious about disposal of the Typhoons ( eurofighter ) I would rather see them go to New Zealand. It still seems strange with NZ's history it has decided not have a self defence force.

Keith

We will fight them on the beaches and at sea but not in the air.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Brunei could always get ‘em - they are also in line for the coming bunfight in the South China Sea...

But then, they have the super-awesome Rapier, so that will doubtless be more than enough.

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've wondered how things were in your part of the world, maybe worse than is being reported by your comment. Take care & stay safe.

Steve.

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

... Ha.

Ha.

I might gonna get 'unpersoned' soon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Britman said:

Keith

New Zealand has not disbanded its armed forces. In 2001 - rightly or wrongly - it disbanded the fast jet component of the RNZAF. New Zealand retains a small but highly professional defence force that is quite active within our country, our region and - when required - in many places around the world.

Just saying...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fatalbert said:

So if they do buy them,what will Austria replace them with?

Probably Eurofighters again, even more expensive but even worse equipped the second time... if that is even possible.. probably with concrete in the nose instead a radar... sarcasm off, tonguen in cheek :(

More serious, probably nothing at all or a leasing option government to government...

Eurofighters, Gripens, F-16s, Swiss F-5s again?...

Or a long shot, something French?

I would like to see a Austrian Mirage 2000 :devil:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

New Zealand has not disbanded its armed forces. In 2001 - rightly or wrongly - it disbanded the fast jet component of the RNZAF. New Zealand retains a small but highly professional defence force that is quite active within our country, our region and - when required - in many places around the world.

Just saying...

Only slightly smaller than Team UK self defence force(desig)🤔😯

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

F-16s will only happen if Lockmart offers enough counter-trade deals (that was the argument for getting the Eurofighter back then) and we really want to get rid of the current aircraft. My guess is that we will keep the Eurofighters, despite all the rumbling in front of the public. Maybe they have to restrict their flying hours even more as I expect our Army will get even less money now as it is spent to lessen the consequences of the virus.

So if someone crosses our airspace in the future we will write them an protest note how upset we feel and to please don't do it again as we are all friends, right? Cheaper than maintaining QRA :(

Cheers

Markus

Don't forget that there is a new power in air defence armament - the UK.

After Brexit, the RAF is re-equipping with twenty squadrons of Spitfires with the export version available for sale to interested friendly governments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, DonH said:

After Brexit, the RAF is re-equipping with twenty squadrons of Spitfires with the export version available for sale to interested friendly governments.

Heh - dud fighters going dirt cheap!

Some slightly-dented and possibly fit-for-purpose Scimitars, Swifts and Sea Vixens going for a steal...

4 hours ago, DonH said:

I believe Spitfires did okay previously, and I suspect will be enough to look after anythreats from  near neighbours once the cost cleaning up after COVID really hits home in mainland Europe. 

• Like 2

I would surprise me - I would expect National Security to step in.  One concern is that the Indonesian armed forces operate a lot of Russian platforms and weapon systems, which means Russian technicians all over the place, which means a risk of Eurofighter technology falling into Russian hands.

The F-35 was pulled from Turkey over similar concerns.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nheather said:

I would surprise me - I would expect National Security to step in.  One concern is that the Indonesian armed forces operate a lot of Russian platforms and weapon systems, which means Russian technicians all over the place, which means a risk of Eurofighter technology falling into Russian hands.

The F-35 was pulled from Turkey over similar concerns.

Cheers,

Nigel

Wouldn't you know, there is a rumour that our MoD might gonna cancel Su-35 in exchange for F-35A, and probably some F-16V to complement the F-16A/B MLU and F-16C/D Block 25. Possibly because US does not want to lose allies in South East Asia. And probably because they're worried we're going to possess threat to Australia if we got those Su-35s.

The only saving grace for Eurofighters in Indonesia, as far as we concerned, is that we got Airbus as our partners at Indonesian Aerospace. But the memory of previous embargo from UK still lingers, apparently.

7 hours ago, DonH said:

Yes, about that... you still owe us 24 Spits bought and paid for in 1943 that we didn't get to keep in 1945 at the disbandment of 322 Sqn RAF.

True story.

:P

• Like 2