Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Slater

Indonesia wants to buy Austria's Eurofighters?

Recommended Posts

Deleted- read the pinned post in chat regarding swearing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can Indonesia be serious about it?

But then Austrians aren' either.. so there might be a bargain out there...  :devil:

...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have they found some money down the back of the sofa?

 

First it was Ospreys, now typhoons. Really?

 

I will believe when I see it

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Red Dot said:

have they found some money down the back of the sofa?

 

First it was Ospreys, now typhoons. Really?

 

I will believe when I see it

 

Andy

We have not. Just as we don't have money to stop COVID-19 from killing everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've wondered how things were in your part of the world, maybe worse than is being reported by your comment. Take care & stay safe.

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Austria is serious about disposal of the Typhoons ( eurofighter ) I would rather see them go to New Zealand. It still seems strange with NZ's history it has decided not have a self defence force.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Britman said:

If Austria is serious about disposal of the Typhoons ( eurofighter ) I would rather see them go to New Zealand. It still seems strange with NZ's history it has decided not have a self defence force.

 

Keith

We will fight them on the beaches and at sea but not in the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Brunei could always get ‘em - they are also in line for the coming bunfight in the South China Sea...

 

But then, they have the super-awesome Rapier, so that will doubtless be more than enough.

Edited by Blimpyboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've wondered how things were in your part of the world, maybe worse than is being reported by your comment. Take care & stay safe.

Steve.

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

... Ha.

Ha.

I might gonna get 'unpersoned' soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if they do buy them,what will Austria replace them with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

So if they do buy them,what will Austria replace them with?

F-35's? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Britman said:

If Austria is serious about disposal of the Typhoons ( eurofighter ) I would rather see them go to New Zealand. It still seems strange with NZ's history it has decided not have a self defence force.

 

Keith

New Zealand has not disbanded its armed forces. In 2001 - rightly or wrongly - it disbanded the fast jet component of the RNZAF. New Zealand retains a small but highly professional defence force that is quite active within our country, our region and - when required - in many places around the world.

 

Just saying...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fatalbert said:

So if they do buy them,what will Austria replace them with?

Probably Eurofighters again, even more expensive but even worse equipped the second time... if that is even possible.. probably with concrete in the nose instead a radar... sarcasm off, tonguen in cheek :(

More serious, probably nothing at all or a leasing option government to government...

Eurofighters, Gripens, F-16s, Swiss F-5s again?...

Or a long shot, something French?

I would like to see a Austrian Mirage 2000 :devil:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

New Zealand has not disbanded its armed forces. In 2001 - rightly or wrongly - it disbanded the fast jet component of the RNZAF. New Zealand retains a small but highly professional defence force that is quite active within our country, our region and - when required - in many places around the world.

 

Just saying...

Only slightly smaller than Team UK self defence force(desig)🤔😯

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the F-16 production line is still rolling out new aircraft. Might get an acceptable deal on a squadron or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

F-16s will only happen if Lockmart offers enough counter-trade deals (that was the argument for getting the Eurofighter back then) and we really want to get rid of the current aircraft. My guess is that we will keep the Eurofighters, despite all the rumbling in front of the public. Maybe they have to restrict their flying hours even more as I expect our Army will get even less money now as it is spent to lessen the consequences of the virus.

So if someone crosses our airspace in the future we will write them an protest note how upset we feel and to please don't do it again as we are all friends, right? Cheaper than maintaining QRA :(

 

Cheers

Markus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I do give Austria credit for a fetching new camoflage uniform. At least that's a plus :D

 

rHyI8bCl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget that there is a new power in air defence armament - the UK.

After Brexit, the RAF is re-equipping with twenty squadrons of Spitfires with the export version available for sale to interested friendly governments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonH said:

 

Don't forget that there is a new power in air defence armament - the UK.

After Brexit, the RAF is re-equipping with twenty squadrons of Spitfires with the export version available for sale to interested friendly governments.

 


Heh - dud fighters going dirt cheap!

Some slightly-dented and possibly fit-for-purpose Scimitars, Swifts and Sea Vixens going for a steal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Slater said:

Well, I do give Austria credit for a fetching new camoflage uniform. At least that's a plus :D

 

rHyI8bCl.jpg

Hmm id like a pair of shorts 🏃‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DonH said:

Don't forget that there is a new power in air defence armament - the UK.

After Brexit, the RAF is re-equipping with twenty squadrons of Spitfires with the export version available for sale to interested friendly governments.

I believe Spitfires did okay previously, and I suspect will be enough to look after anythreats from  near neighbours once the cost cleaning up after COVID really hits home in mainland Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would surprise me - I would expect National Security to step in.  One concern is that the Indonesian armed forces operate a lot of Russian platforms and weapon systems, which means Russian technicians all over the place, which means a risk of Eurofighter technology falling into Russian hands.

 

The F-35 was pulled from Turkey over similar concerns.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nheather said:

I would surprise me - I would expect National Security to step in.  One concern is that the Indonesian armed forces operate a lot of Russian platforms and weapon systems, which means Russian technicians all over the place, which means a risk of Eurofighter technology falling into Russian hands.

 

The F-35 was pulled from Turkey over similar concerns.

 

Cheers,

 

Nigel

Wouldn't you know, there is a rumour that our MoD might gonna cancel Su-35 in exchange for F-35A, and probably some F-16V to complement the F-16A/B MLU and F-16C/D Block 25. Possibly because US does not want to lose allies in South East Asia. And probably because they're worried we're going to possess threat to Australia if we got those Su-35s.

The only saving grace for Eurofighters in Indonesia, as far as we concerned, is that we got Airbus as our partners at Indonesian Aerospace. But the memory of previous embargo from UK still lingers, apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DonH said:

After Brexit, the RAF is re-equipping with twenty squadrons of Spitfires with the export version available for sale to interested friendly governments.

Yes, about that... you still owe us 24 Spits bought and paid for in 1943 that we didn't get to keep in 1945 at the disbandment of 322 Sqn RAF.

 

True story.

:P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...