Tamiya Porsche 934 RSR 1/12

Hi all! 

Since here couple great builds going on, this is my take on this kit. 

This is going to little different, cause I'm going to make this more of a street custom style. Not sure yet, how deep I go what comes to detailing. I'm really tempted to go as far as I did with my Williams project. But it's quite expensive route, to change all molded "bolts" to more simulated ones etc. 

zliT58O.jpg

Edited by alteregoni
  • Like 2

Don't worry about changing bolts - your conversion from race car is of greater interest. I had long wanted to build a street version 935 after I had built the Tammy endurance racer. But other projects and now life had gotten in the way.

Carry on!

• Like 1

So here is current situation. Those fender "extenders" are going to be sanded down. This is going to be more like 911 model. I wouldn't dare to make change 934 model anyhow, since it is so legendary. And also Tamiya got those fender wideners very wrong. So they are going to be smoothed out. And since this is not 934 anymore I got more free hand to make it what I like.

M2RivHj.jpg?1

Inspiration comes from this what I found in the depths of internet. 

OkaDIgI.jpg?1

vNPwL7B.jpg?1

At the moment I think that this Porsche is going to be that street racing look. I put in roll cage, but remove everything else what comes to racing. And put some flocking carpets etc. I'm planning to use some Zero Paint interior color line, brown is my color choice. 

Body color I'm planning to use some automotive 2K paint what I'v used on my mountain bike. Color is from Ral chart Ral 6033 "mint turquoise" 

Here is link to that "inspiration model" Porcshe https://www.motor1.com/news/143924/1974-porsche-911-rs-tuning/

edit: What sucks is that Tamiya wouldn't deliver passenger seat anymore. I try to get one as spare part from my local Hobby shop. There are some in Ebay, but little grazy money they asking for them. And since this is big scale there are not many upgrade parts to chose from. 

Edited by alteregoni
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing much to show yet. I'm desperately search some kind street  sport seats in 1/12 scale. But found nothing. There is many choices in 1/10 and 1/18 scale but nothing in desired scale. Does anyone know place to look for these? It is not end of the world if I can't get street seats. But since I decided to remove all race parts and make this pure street beast it would be nice that seats are not too "race". 

Edited by alteregoni

I would suggest a look at this site.....https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/vehicles?tag=seat

Although 1/12 doesn't appear...in the past I have found that if you contact the maker and explain your needs...quite often they are happy to scale their items to the required size for a small added fee...easy in these days of 3D printers...which brings to mind...it may well be worth contacting some members on here who already use said technology in their work.

Ron

• 1 month later...

So here we are at the moment. I'v been smoothing those fenders. I use some automotive polyester putty to give it kind of right shape, and then some basic Tamiya putty to correct imperfections. Overall body needs quite a bit attention.

9dV0dQn.jpg?1

1PhjWTK.jpg?1

I open open those air ventilation holes on front and back. On front there should be somekind of mesh front of those holes, it was molded plastic to simulate that. Not sure yet do I put some mesh on it or leave it that way.

Back top of rear window:

tGpvije.jpg?1

Front air intake for cabin fan/ventilation

qOMlTcf.jpg?1

Also I'v been smoothing interior floor, so that I can put some flocking powder on it. Also there was quite a bit filling gaps etc on "rear seat" section. Simple putty and styrene strip job there. 

7ZQFOz7.jpg?1

fSuKY9z.jpg?1

These are my choice for interior colour's. Flocking on floor pan, Cuoio for the most parts on interior parts, and textured beige for the roof. 

5SMVBms.jpg?1

Seats arrived today. These are 3d printed bad boys from Shapeways site. Original design was 1/24, but Ron Olsen from 3dSpecialties who owns this design was very kind and upscale them for me. He didn't took any extra payment up scaling them, I paid only more that cost, what comes from printing bigger piece. They cost about 76 Euros with shipment . Little crazy money, but I think they worth it.  Seats looks stunning,  They fit snugly in narrow Porsche body. 😀  Thank you sliver911 for the tip! :)

axZr9YE.jpg?1

vKqJnDh.jpg?1

Edited by alteregoni
  • Like 6

So here is first peek of a colour scheme. Colour code is Ral 6033 "mint turquoise" It is more on the green side. My poor mobile phone has tough time to get the colour right, but it is quite close on picture seen here. Paint is "automotive" 2K. I had little difficulties to get mix right. Paint is very thick even with hardener, so finding right thinning ratio is kind of try and fail. My airbrush is Iwata Revolution with 0.5 needle. Surface is far from excellent, but still acceptable. There is no separate clear coat, 'cause clear is in paint. Pros to this paint is 

most obviously very hard surface so it take some handling. 

On body shell I'm thinking about using 2K clear as a top coat. And because of a size of that piece, I'm thinking to use spraygun instead of my airbrush. 

TaMyOKW.jpg?1

• Like 1

AARGH! I allways had issues with Zero Paints. I know people get amazing results with these paints, so problem is me. I just cant get good result using these paints. 

Problems is most of time after painting result is very gritty surface. Sometimes I manage to get some spot good result and next to that very poor. 

I know that the ground work is important, and base of paint should be smooth....in base coats on car bodys etc. But this same problem I have with interior line. It is impossible to get sanded down surface on seat etc. Paint that I struggle this time is Ferrari Cuioi interrior colour. 

I tried  different pressures, latest was 15psi with Iwata Revolution CR 0.5 needle. 

Here is some sample pictures. Piece was primed with Tamiya Fine medium grey primer, no sanding.

At here seems some spots are good, and some is very gritty. 3 medium coats, 5min between coats.

oNFf9X9.jpg?1

Here is same as abowe. Best result, quite even on everywhere

sGj0S7n.jpg?1

Here is 2 medium coats, and one wet coat. Horrible result

UWLIa9z.jpg?1

Has anybody else has these kind of problems? Is there anything I can do differently, or just use Tamiya products, cause seems like its almost impossible to fail with those. 

Oh and, seems that Zero primer has some sticking problems to plastic. Tamiya masking tape seems to peel it of in some areas. BUT, 2k clear is great stuff! Even I can get good results with that.

So after crying and complaining, I finally succeed with Zero Paint. It just needs to be smooth surface to lay on. Sanded down with 800 grid wet sandpaper. One light coat and after it was tacky free another medium coat. After that surface is not super smooth, what is nice because this should simulate leather. It has nice little texture on it.

Maybe put on some semi gloss clear on it to give it more "cushioned" look.

JifStcn.jpg?1

Edit: Hello it's me again 😂 So... How to put this. 🙈 Öhm... I lowered airbrush pressure down to 14 psi. And voila' perfect result. 😂 So seem's that it was all about the pressure. Well this has been huge learning curve to me. 

Edited by alteregoni
  • Like 1

Progress so far. So this is my first try on flocking, so kind hard to tell is it looking as it should be. Most time consuming part was rear section. There was big caps on each side, so it was quite big putty and styrene job there. At the moment I'm not planning to put rear seats on there. Plan now is to make this street car with some race heritage.  Main interior color is that Ferrari Cuoio leather color with some Titanium silver from Tamiya lacquer paint. 

DvaqpUj.jpg?1

FGuc6Xo.jpg?1

fomQHiY.jpg?1

Eu8CIX9.jpg?1

DzCMAu4.jpg?2

2eFepfj.jpg?1

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. Front coilovers, steering and suspension parts done. Coilovers are stripped from original metallic coating and painted with Vallejo Aluminium on Alclad gloss black base. Springs  are painted with rattle can.

There is really big temptation to do some major upgrading on parts, like use real bolts and nuts etc. But I choice not to go in that route due lack of skill and patience. So detailing was paint job this time. Original details in nuts and bolts is not so bad, those have actually hex shape on them.

7M9ylTg.jpg?1

GblLUQf.jpg?1

MIyCm6i.jpg?1

mKmiM20.jpg?1

• Like 2

Thank you for compliments! ☺️ Today I decide not replace molded bolts to simulated ones, because cost was going to be huge. And this model is quite "bolt and nut" heavy if you know what I mean. So I guess no reason to change just couple ones. So it's all paint detailing there. 

But what I couldn't not to resist, is some banjo and An fittings fom RB Motion. Especially on fuel injection unit Tamiya's "rubber ring thing" is really poor. Also I wanted to add couple other lines in engine compartment. 

I have question to you lads. What you think, should I do some black wash on under carriage side? I really can't decide, and that is something what I'm not used to execute. And since Tamiya's panel line is email paint?, and paint that I used is 2K, am I going to get problems with that combo? 

Pekka