Airfix B5N1 Kate 1/72

This is my first plastic kit build for over 25 years. A friend of mine gifted me this Airfix kit for a surprise birthday present.

My first thoughts were not kind, I had memories of the Airfix kits of the 80's, which were probably tooled up in the 60's/70's.

I have to say these kits are so much better, Recessed panel lines, parts that fit, tyres that bulge, separate control surfaces, superb!

I sturggled to remember how to build and I re learnt a lot. This is what I ended up with.

I think my choice of paint for IJN silver is a bit off and the varnish I used did funny things to the paint.

But I got it done and actually enjoyed some parts of the build :)

I'd be interested in any comments and advice.

I mainly paint wargames figures, so I've got the basic painting techniques. It's decals that I find hard :)

Best regards

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 37

I really, really like it, the weathering and wear and tear where it matters is good, and I like the faded red paint on the tailplanes. You haven't gone overboard on the wear and tear and weathering either.

Cannot believe this is your first one in 25 years, I still haven't built any of the new Airfix kits, they sound a bit over engineered.

regards, adey

Edited by adey m

Greta kit and paint job looks really good. I have this one to do as well. If anywhere near as good as yours I will be happy

It's been well over 30 years since I last finished a build, so the fact you did finish one is great. And it's turned out so well done.

Good job!

Chris

Yeah It is aluminium :( I later found out that it was actually really silver paint on the real aircraft and not bare metal.

Bare aluminium doesn't last long at sea :)

But it sort of looks like silver from a distance that you see in those grainy B/W WWII era photos.

So I left it :)

What I like about this hobby is I learn a lot !

Edited by Si2
speeeling

• 11 months later...

as an ex air force guy I tell, 

pretty well worn old workhorse :) 

Great! only part I can criticize is (cowling skirt holes should be black since they're holes) so use accent panel liner or something and put a little black/dark brown on the red stripe

as for Japanese Hinomaru Markings (they were always well maintained since they're national markings) so even well worn plane had them MINT ;) 

the rest is SUPERB!!! really love your work mate!

• Like 1