1/48 Eduard Fw190A-8 "White 6"

Build #6 since February rolls off the bench. After finishing 0 models last year thanks to a pinched nerve, and several years of barely finishing 2 models a year, 2020 has been a very productive year for me thus far. I've had a closet full of new-tool Eduard Fw190's for a while and finally got around to building one - and there are plenty more to come!

Fw190A-8 "White 6"

Lt. Gustl Stalffner, Staffelkapitan 7./JG 300

Lobnitz, Germany, March 1945

- BarracudaCast snapshot cockpit upgrade

- BarracudaCast exhaust

- BarracudaCast wheels

- Ultracast spinner/prop

- Master brass barrels

- Quickboost pitot

- Tamiya canopy

- Miracle Paint Masks

- BarracudaCals stencils

- AK Real Colors paints

- Various scratch details

Anyway, on to the pics!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking! 

Brewer

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, VolkerR. said:

Beautiful.

But why did you use the Tamiya canopy? The ones from Eduard seemed pretty good to me.

Volker

Eduard got the shape of their canopies wrong. The blown one is not blown, and the flat one is too flat. They got it wrong in the old tool kit, and when they released the new tool they just reused the old clear sprue. Pretty disappointing. The Eduard headrest armor is also pretty anemic so I used the Tamiya bits for that as well. Here are some comparison pics I took a while back of the two manufacturer's blown canopies. Feel free to Google any Eduard 190 builds and it sticks out like a sore thumb that the blown canopy is flat

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Brewer said:

Eduard got the shape of their canopies wrong. The blown one is not blown, and the flat one is too flat. They got it wrong in the old tool kit, and when they released the new tool they just reused the old clear sprue. Pretty disappointing. The Eduard headrest armor is also pretty anemic so I used the Tamiya bits for that as well. Here are some comparison pics I took a while back of the two manufacturer's blown canopies. Feel free to Google any Eduard 190 builds and it sticks out like a sore thumb that the blown canopy is flat

spacer.png

Thank you.

I was never aware of that.

Volker

Not many people picked up on the canopy issue, they just focused on the novelty of having separate options for open/closed. I'd rather have the correct shape

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

• Like 1

That's the finest new tool 190 I've seen so far. Also thanks for the hint on the canopy issue. Pretty disappointing that they reused the old clear sprue. Read plenty of reviews but nobody mentioned it. So in the end Eduard got away with it.

Hi,

The model is VERY attractive and nicely build with a great skill! 

The Tamiya hood is also one of the best I have seen in 1/48 FW 190 Late war models. 

One thing, anyway. I have all models Tamiya Fw 190 F, the "old tool" Eduard Fw 190 A-8 and the "new tool" Eduard Fw190 A-8 model.

I compared the blown hoods of themall  and I noticed Eduard DID correct the blown hood in the new tool models. It is now clearly higher and the contour of the top of the hood curves nice down to the windscreen like Tamiyas hood. The shape of the hood is now much more correct than the earlier that was indeed flat. Unfortunately I didn't find a way to take a good photo to show that but anyone who has both hoods can see the difference between the old one and the new one.  I do not say it is as "blown" as Tamiya has but as said, it is better than the earlier and looks very good. 

• Like 1

Very interesting. I just checked my leftovers and you're right - the shape is much improved. Still not as nice as Tamiya, but far superior to the old tool. The framing is pretty thick, but at least there is some curve to the outline now.

The updated blown canopy is probably "good enough" for most people but I'll keep using Tamiya replacements while I have a baggie full of them haha. There also doesn't appear to be any change to the flat canopy, which should also curve downward sharply at the very front like the Tamiya piece. 

For those interested, here is an updated comparison of the blown canopies:

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brewer said:

Very interesting. I just checked my leftovers and you're right - the shape is much improved. Still not as nice as Tamiya, but far superior to the old tool. The framing is pretty thick, but at least there is some curve to the outline now.

The updated blown canopy is probably "good enough" for most people but I'll keep using Tamiya replacements while I have a baggie full of them haha. There also doesn't appear to be any change to the flat canopy, which should also curve downward sharply at the very front like the Tamiya piece. 

For those interested, here is an updated comparison of the blown canopies:

spacer.png

Very nice you had the right means to take a photo. which shows the new tool Eduard canopy and the Tamiya canopy.  I know the Tamiya canopy is more "blown" and it looks very good! The main purpose of my comment was to tell the people who dont have  a possibility to use Tamiya canopy, that the new Eduarsd canopy is - like you said-  "good enough" now! - I have also several Tamiya canopies. 

Also when I looked through several old photos from ww2, I think the blown Focke Wulf canopies were not all exactly similar. some were more, some were less blown. The basic shape was anyway the same.

That is absolutely gorgeous.

Interesting info r.e. the canopy form, but it's not detracting for a luftwaffler like me - it's certainly good enough for the relative philistine. The painting is just spot on... how did you find the AK Real Colors?

For sure! Everyone has that one subject they are overly anal about and for me that's the Fw190. For example it drives me crazy when people don't fill the seam in the wing root forward of the gun cover and instead make it a panel line

I love the AK Real Colors line. I've been using them on every build of mine since February and I find them absolutely perfect for me. Prior to AK, I used MrColor and Tamiya paints exclusively. For me the AK paints are a perfect blend of both - the easy sprayability of Tamiya and the silky smooth satin finish of MrColor lacquers. There are a few RLM colors that are a little off, but I can make adjustments.