AEG G IV (early) 1/32 Wingnut Wings.

I bought this kit in November 2018 at Telford the first year that Wingnuts attended. TheY brought with them a selection of kits some of which were damaged and this is one of them. It was about half the retail price at the time. It was marked WD on the box and on closer inspection it did have a crack in one fuselage side but not much else. 

AEG 50096649736_e291f959e9_b.jpg

This is the cracked fuselage side with a lot of stress bends.  

AEG

Here are the contents of the box with the box with the three A4 sheets of lozenge decals.  
This will be a pleasure to do and am looking forward to it and so will take my time. Let’s face it I am not going to be doing another one of these now.  

• Like 4

50061242732_16b1773bf1_b.jpg

Page one parts cut off the sprue and cleaned up. Need to paint. I will be using Tamiya acrylics mainly.  The Wingnut instructions use Tamiya paint and get around the limited colour range by giving mixing proportions.  

• Like 1

50060996816_fd0c47e589_b.jpg

Interior parts painted XF 76 Grey green, with bomb racks black metal and the bombs pale blue and brass caps.  

50060996711_9f0f275d0a_b.jpg

A close up of the spare ammunition for the machine guns. Wooden drums dry fitted on to the gunners bulkhead.  

• Like 2

Hello Dov, and thank you for the link to your build which is very impressive.  I can understand why you went with the camouflage as the lozenge decals look very daunting.  I will try them though as I would like to go for that sinister dark look.
I know what you mean about WNW instructions, all the information is there but some of it requires a lot of thought.  

50133698917_5df20ba428_b.jpg

I am finishing the cockpit off and have come to the rear underside machine gun through the floor. I have dry fitted it and I can understand why it was not fitted as it would be impossible to use it in that position.  On the kit two parts that make up the mount are too fragile to hold the gun and will break if the gun is placed between the supports. I can see that the parts are 100% accurate but do not work in plastic.  I have dry fitted the cockpit into the fuselage and I am pleased to say that all fits together and the halves meet!  Any mistakes made with the cockpit tub always show up (too late) when putting the fuselage together.  So hurdle one over.  
thanks, Andrew.  

• Like 3

Thanks Tony,  I will definitely need a run up to do the decals!  They will be done at the construction stage as they have to be done before the eyelets are put in. The main thing I have learnt with WNW decals is to paint a solid colour underneath The lozenge decals, I prefer Tamiya white gloss X2 and to only use water. The decals hate micro set and sol, ask me how I know that!  I got into a major problem with when I put the decals on my Pfalz D. VII.  the setting solution was too strong for the lozenge decals.  It became impossible to move them around and position them after 1 minute and I had to patch the broken bits. 
I am awhile away from that as it is two engines to make after the cockpit.  

Andrew.  

• Like 1

The rigging at your nacelles, this is a matter I want to warn you!

And rigging the upper wing toward the fuselage.

We talk about it, before you install the nacelles. When they are ready.

Than can you understand my advices.

Not before!

Happy modelling

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dov said:

The rigging at your nacelles, this is a matter I want to warn you!

And rigging the upper wing toward the fuselage.

We talk about it, before you install the nacelles. When they are ready.

Than can you understand my advices.

Not before!

Happy modelling

Ok Dov, thank you for the heads up on that.  I will close up the fuselage and go on to make the engines.  Should I go ahead and put the bottom wing parts H3 H5 and H7 on when I have completed the fuselage?  If so what about J1 J2 J6 and J7?  I will need to put the lozenge decals on before attaching.  

3 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

Thanks Tony,  I will definitely need a run up to do the decals!  They will be done at the construction stage as they have to be done before the eyelets are put in. The main thing I have learnt with WNW decals is to paint a solid colour underneath The lozenge decals, I prefer Tamiya white gloss X2 and to only use water. The decals hate micro set and sol, ask me how I know that!  I got into a major problem with when I put the decals on my Pfalz D. VII.  the setting solution was too strong for the lozenge decals.  It became impossible to move them around and position them after 1 minute and I had to patch the broken bits. 
I am awhile away from that as it is two engines to make after the cockpit.  

Andrew.  

I’ve always found decals a ‘mate, but just done a bunch using Klear/water solution and they came up a treat. Don’t know how it would go for decals that large though.

• Like 1

Hallo again

Here you have to consider, that if you want to rig the a/c, at all joints of struts you must place the eyelets there now in this state. Drilling and placing. Consider where you need two eyelets, and other sections just one. At the nacelles, you have the

·        lower struts, between lower wing and nacelle

·        horizontal area between fuselage and nacelle

·        Upper struts between nacelle and top wing

One area has logically for corners. Each single corner has one eyelet.

Now, this is the model when I started rigging together with the center top wing. Everything else afterward.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ok thanks Dov for the photos.  I am two maybe three steps away from this point yet so it is good to see your stages.  
I will have to check and see how many eyelets I need as I think I will need some more.  

6 minutes ago, dov said:

Are you firm in rigging?

Read all my posts on WNW a/c and specials on eyelets, rigging and so on... Much to read and crasp!

Happy modelling

I have rigged a lot of models mainly in 1/72  and this will be my 5th Wingnut kit so getting better and have developed a system now.  So hopefully all should be good - 🤞 

I will have a look at your posts.  
thanks, Andrew. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed the cockpit and put the fuselage together and inserted the bottom middle wing section.  I am now getting ready to paint the undercoat of gloss white and then the application of the lozenge decals. 

AEG

AEG

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, sanfrandragon said:

I’m curious how the decals look with a white undercoat as I’m at the same stage as you and wondering what to do.

Looking good so far!

Hello the white I have painted as a base is for the decals to adhere to as no setting solutions can be used.  I painted the fuselage Tamiya white X-2 and applied the lozenge decals with water only. When in position then I used a hairdryer very carefully to fix the decals in place and it worked very well. The decals are completely opaque and so there is no problem with the white showing through.  

I started on the 3D jigsaw on the fuselage  

50604235856_7494d792a9_b.jpg

50604358067_e69eff1634_b.jpg

Here is the fuselage side with decals applied. You have to be careful with the hairdryer but it is the only way.  

50604238926_1eb590169a_b.jpg 50604360622_814345d704_b.jpg

Here you can see the fuselage completed and the bottom wing stubs. I am amazed how well the decals fit.  I will now need to spray the surface with Tamiya smoke to represent the grey coat over the lozenge pattern. 
I have stalled on this build initially because I ran out of X-2 and secondly nerve!  I am glad of your post as it will kick start my build as I now have the white paint!  
Regards, Andrew 

• Like 5

I'm pleased to see how you coped with the decals as my first Wingnut Wings build has stalled at the decaling stage, it's all painted gloss white ready to go but my nerve had deserted me. Thanks for the tips and the observation about decal solutions. I will borrow Mrs B's hairdryer and see how it goes.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Two more points - the important point about the paint is that it must be gloss the colour doesn’t matter. I used white so I could see the gaps, which was a bit silly but for the best in the end.  If you you look carefully  at the decals Wingnuts have supplied you will see spare patches of he lozenge colours. I have used these to patch any small gaps that are left, using the idea that real aircraft would have had patches too😏 You would have to look very carefully to spot the patches.