The other Tim's 1/48 Eduard Bf109E-4 -Wr 5344 - Hauptmann Helmut Wick - Gruppenkommandeur of I. Gruppe JG 2 - Oct 1940

I got the Galland Eduard Bf109E and had a think about the subject.

I saw the Possum Werks decals that covered the dogfight that ended in the demise of Luftwaffe top scoring pilot Maj Helmut Wick, Flt Lt John Dundas, his wingman PO Paul A Ballion. Perfect, I thought, 2 subjects in 1 go, I click buy.....then I looked at the date of Dundas'/Wicks' final battle....28 Nov 1940......after the official battle dates....not wanting to feel the wrath of the GB moderators, I looked at other options and with Helmut Wick he was promoted to Major just before the end of the battle, its debatable if his aircraft was repainted by 30 Oct....

So I sourced some other decals of his aircraft Wr 5344, before his promotion. He was the leading Luftwaffe ace the day he died, there are lots of old black and white pics of his aircraft, so thought I'd give it a go.

Plenty of history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Wick

https://www.luftwaffe.cz/wick.html

Never built Eduard, so any tips on this kit appreciated - will be built in flight so I have looked closely at the instructions ref the engine cover!

yd0M9RP.jpg

1TvWz6d.jpg

aKX37WV.jpg

8ElmRRm.jpg

na338ji.jpg

Never done any mottling before so had a play over the weekend. The mottle on Wr5344 is really tight and what I would call 'dirty' so a sponge seems to be the best approach as per around the hole on the F111 wing!

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Geschwader-Stab-J

afgeqtd.jpg

Nice 1/32 build here:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/71809-eduard-bf-109-e-4-major-helmut-wick-1940/

wick2.jpg

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2009/12/helmut-wick-his-me-109-wnr-5344.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG2-Stab/pages/Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Geschwader-Stab-JG2-Helmut-Wick-France-Oct-1940-0A.html

Hope fully an interesting subject.

B9ys7AQ.jpg

• Like 10

Since you are building this in flying configuration, pay attention to the instructions, the engine block has to go into the fuselage for the exhaust outlets but bits must be left off or the engine cowling will not fit.  Guess how I know. :whistle:  The annoying thing I found on this kit was the representation of fabric covered control surfaces had a raised framework effect on them, shades of Trumpy, fabric control surfaces should of course be smooth and tight like a drumskin.  Other than these niggles it's the best 1/48th Bf 109E kit out there.

10 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Since you are building this in flying configuration, pay attention to the instructions, the engine block has to go into the fuselage for the exhaust outlets but bits must be left off or the engine cowling will not fit.  Guess how I know. :whistle:  The annoying thing I found on this kit was the representation of fabric covered control surfaces had a raised framework effect on them, shades of Trumpy, fabric control surfaces should of course be smooth and tight like a drumskin.  Other than these niggles it's the best 1/48th Bf 109E kit out there.

Thanks Bob - much appreciated. I'm no expert on the Bf109 ins and outs!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Thanks Bob - much appreciated. I'm no expert on the Bf109 ins and outs!

I would not claim to be an expert, more of an enthusiastic retainer of insignificant facts.  Paint your cockpit RLM 02 light grey and I think I too would use either some sponge or a cut back paint brush, so that the bristles are only about 1/4 inch long for the fuselage mottling,  I'm building in the T-34 GB and just about to start a 1/48th He-111 in the HE-111 GB or I would be in this GB as well.

• Like 1

A great Luftwaffe mottling technique is to paint thinners thinly on the fuselage side then dot the desired mottle colour on. I don’t know if it would work for such an intricate small mottle like this though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start on the inside areas, bit of work to do yet. At least I know that theres an actual seam on the top join in real life now!

Having to try to spread the pilots legs to fit around the IP mount!

Rxx4PlD.jpg

• Like 5

Stole a couple of hours with this build  to catch up with the others, getting there.

nHq822p.jpg

fairly close to dealing it up. Silver prismacolor pencil useful for chipping small worn areas 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Go the canopies all masked up, just too hot to go in the garage.

NEQFADR.jpg

Close to closing it up and cracking on, just need the temp to drop a bit!

• Like 5

Moving forward with this, nice soft plastic allows a mostly good fit.

the lack of pins etc makes a bit more subtle to join the fuselage sides, also sometimes need to do things in a slightly different order than shown.

ZUPkV9Q.jpg

HDuuzFX.jpg

VCq69tA.jpg

kRsgMEN.jpg

dSI3Pk5.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Tim,

this looks like a beautiful kit. Well done!

Just one thing though: re the masking of your canopy, There`is NO frame in the middle of the opening section of the canopy. What you masked as a frame on both sides and on the top do not exist.

These are just the overlapping plexiglas sheets.

So just put masking tape over the gap you have left, if it is not too late.

Cheers!

JR

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 8:48 PM, jean said:

Hi Tim,

this looks like a beautiful kit. Well done!

Just one thing though: re the masking of your canopy, There`is NO frame in the middle of the opening section of the canopy. What you masked as a frame on both sides and on the top do not exist.

These are just the overlapping plexiglas sheets.

So just put masking tape over the gap you have left, if it is not too late.

Cheers!

JR

Thanks JR so the area both sides and on top currently 2 squares on each surface should become a rectangle masking wise? 

like these pics? Can rescue this, but not on my other build - bugger!

Thanks for catching this one! Some of the decal sheet pics are a bit misleading!

Bf109E4_Wick_Gr.Ko.gelb_kl.96.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

NEQFADR.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Thanks JR so the area both sides and on top currently 2 squares on each surface should become a rectangle masking wise? 

like these pics? Can rescue this, but not on my other build - bugger!

Thanks for catching this one! Some of the decal sheet pics are a bit misleading!

Bf109E4_Wick_Gr.Ko.gelb_kl.96.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Yes Tim,

just like these profiles show!

Next one will be perfect!

Great show!

JR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some more work done, bit of a fight getting the hoods over the engine, I didi skim off some of the top of the engine. I think my IP may also be sat a little too high causing the employment of the overnight clamp!

qfnDoVt.jpg

2LUcSjr.jpg

Clearly made for a wheels down build, I have looked at how the fit wheels up, the wheel covers (or whatever they are called!) will need some trimming and when flush are short at the join, so must likely will need to fill that area.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Pushing on with this build - time is short and I want to get that stipple brush into action!!

bqg7QNf.jpg

Some white primer for the RLM04 yellow bits...

hzgJyVm.jpg

vvQYIXx.jpg

j1lLTCr.jpg

pmwdyMX.jpg

j1lLTCr.jpg

Masked and primed...

OlPF8Po.jpg

Used various colours ro 'marble' over the balck to get some worn tonal variation....

MfwsuVg.jpg

YuBnk6c.jpg

Half done!

kM8wZ6w.jpg

Not too worried by the sides as they will be fairly well covered in RLM71 stippled paint...

uoQ95Vs.jpg

en3LYLV.jpg

Think its ok - not everyones taste but I like to try to have an appropriate wear and tear approach - the airframe was quite old for those days and been through various iterations of camo and markings as Wick climbed the promotion ladder...

EcVl88J.jpg

Same with the RLM02 - forgot to take the marbled pics...

AGsxKTA.jpg

2PJtmt8.jpg

lmCDkZH.jpg

Ei222uN.jpg

IJHVv6i.jpg

masked and ready for the RLM71 Splinter cam.

sroU4xE.jpg

• Like 6

So on with the RLM71.

I used light earth on the panel lines and a lighter green plus RLM02 to 'marble' the area to try to have some various tones

bWFqSgd.jpg

J28jnI7.jpg

a3tfoBu.jpg

vFR5epR.jpg

Seems ok

FJe3qH2.jpg

G34QClj.jpg

U9ZgpRK.jpg

Stipple brushes at the ready!

WvCkAzS.jpg

bit of practice on the paint mule and away we go....

First go was a bit heavy in some areas so I resprayed some panels with RLM65

jjW4Ffy.jpg

TGzmjoa.jpg

tried again...

eqwtMkA.jpg

1taPpN3.jpg

references show heavy under the canopy etc and slightly lighter in other areas...

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Geschwader-Stab-J

kopierschutz.gif2238455907_422c23d8dd_z.jpg

gj45tnmc7vz41.jpg

D83F52658EAED8A90FCE228FA7BB8BD3030C49BE

So I came up with this....

1taPpN3.jpg

eqwtMkA.jpg

Now the paints dried and were rough to touch, so for the clear and decals I needed to sand the surface as smooth as I can without losing the effect...

NjLpveb.jpg

j0YSGmd.jpg

VGFDGCx.jpg

Rudder just test fitted and the support arm will get glued back on...

Think its ok - if I try to much more I may overdo it so I think its ready to gloss clear now...

• Like 9

Gloss on and started the decals...

DHk7n4f.jpg

LKkqDVQ.jpg

thought I'd paint the exhaust stacks etc, cannons/guns

S3RXXSK.jpg

xUEbH1I.jpg

C6YbvlD.jpg

0vdPICc.jpg

V7fhT7F.jpg

YjIZCEb.jpg

JcA73vh.jpg

a few more stencils to go. Lots of different references around of the aircraft through its life, showing the cam, lack of stencils in areas and also weathering..

Some interesting info on the link....

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2009/12/helmut-wick-his-me-109-wnr-5344.html

Early pic

wick1.jpg

wick2.jpg

Wick.jpg

Note exhaust stains

Wick+image.jpg

wick3.jpg

Note propeller cap wear

wick5.jpg

Later when Wick commanded JG2, you can what looks like bare metal wear mixed with exhaust stain on the wing getting in and out of the cockpit?

wick6.jpg

couple of stencils aft of the air filter

wick7.jpg

So will plan to finish off the stencils, seal in with gloss, panel line accent, some exhaust staining and chipping on the port wing root area and prop cap.

Then will need to sort the antenna mast and wire, gubbins on the underwing etc and a flat cote...getting closer to the finish line....

• Like 6

With the end date creeping closer I got the Tamiya panel line accent on, weathering done and dullcote on

UbINiUO.jpg

UCNheOH.jpg

DYOeYQY.jpg

H4P1orl.jpg

dullcote on 

HVMTDDX.jpg

REAW1TN.jpg

T9iOjHJ.jpg

T9iOjHJ.jpg

lcvqhNx.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

Done...5 pics will go in the gallery. Thanks for the help and support along the way, much appreciated.

SwGuCwQ.jpg

xjpgfTV.jpg

IxFxBdk.jpg

yAEH9Ej.jpg

4gn0qTG.jpg

IeZZxA8.jpg

4QCJexp.jpg

ZfmB9pd.jpg

AyULdm2.jpg

na338ji.jpg

wick.jpg

gj45tnmc7vz41.jpg