V-bomber QRA Dispersals

xvtonker

A bit of a long shot, but can anyone point me in the direction of any information, drawings or pictures of the ground support plinths that were located on  V-bomber QRA runway dispersals?

I remember them being on the disused QRA dispersals at RAF Marham and of a famous picture of a Canberra crashing into them......

Thanks for looking

XVTonker :pilot:

On 7/20/2020 at 9:24 AM, xvtonker said:

A bit of a long shot, but can anyone point me in the direction of any information, drawings or pictures of the ground support plinths that were located on  V-bomber QRA runway dispersals?

Does this picture help?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205391335

I think there were different classes of ORPs though, and I think it was dependant on whether it was a home base or a dispersed site.

For the runway short notice ORPs I think the ground support area was on the platform itself.

On the dispersed airfields, with the long notice ORPs on the taxiways the ground support plinths were spurs sited inbetween the ORPs.

On 7/24/2020 at 11:47 AM, 71chally said:

Does this picture help?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205391335

I think there were different classes of ORPs though, and I think it was dependant on whether it was a home base or a dispersed site.

For the runway short notice ORPs I think the ground support area was on the platform itself.

On the dispersed airfields, with the long notice ORPs on the taxiways the ground support plinths were spurs sited inbetween the ORPs.

Thanks, I've already got the picture, it's close up shots of the power plinths that are located on the grass areas between each aircraft.

XVTonker

I remember seeing old v bomber ground connection plugs at RAe Bedford back in the 80's,it was like a large rubber shower head sticking up out of the side of the runway,

10 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

@Selwyn: what commercially available paint would you use on 1/72 vehicles representing those used during the period?  Sorry that I wasn't so clear in my question.  Thanks!

I use BS 381c 169 Traffic blue made up by a local company in an aerosol, I don't use an equivalent, there is no need when the original is readily available. It is the blue used on UK motorway Road signs!

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, xvtonker said:

Fantastic, many thanks again for taking the time to take the pictures...

XVTonker

No worries, you can follow the links and download the photos in large size, do it soon I would as they will probably be replaced at some stage.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:35 AM, 71chally said:

No worries, you can follow the links and download the photos in large size, do it soon I would as they will probably be replaced at some stage.

😂 already downloaded thanks..

Thanks again

XVTonker