I just saw this thread and am catching up with it. 

I've had a similar idea in mind but in 1/32. I have MH434 done using the Tamiya Spitfire and Fundekals sheet for AL-A. I haven't started on the Buchon but have the Attitude Aviation conversion set for the Hasegawa G-6. 

Sorry to see the difficulties with the pics showing. Some work when I click on them but the recent ones have the warning Pete mentioned. 

Carl

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, FG2Si said:

I just saw this thread and am catching up with it. 

I've had a similar idea in mind but in 1/32. I have MH434 done using the Tamiya Spitfire and Fundekals sheet for AL-A. I haven't started on the Buchon but have the Attitude Aviation conversion set for the Hasegawa G-6. 

Sorry to see the difficulties with the pics showing. Some work when I click on them but the recent ones have the warning Pete mentioned. 

Carl

Hi Carl,

This should be a treat in 1/32 :D Please do run a thread if/when you get around to it.

It seems that my photo hotlinking issue is not unique to me:

Rather it's Village Photos who forgot to put 50p in the Security Certificate meter. Hopefully they renew it quickly and it all goes back to normal - because it was working fine until a few days ago!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, FG2Si said:

Jamie, here's MH434 as that's done. 

I'll start one for the Buchon once I get to it. 

Carl

That's lovely. Somehow the Mk.IX really does suit green and brown, to my eyes at least. I suppose I should progress the poor Spitfire a bit too since the Buchon has clearly stolen a big march on it!

p.s. I contacted Village Photos who responded straight away. The security Certificate will be renewed today and so hopefully by tomorrow all my pictures should be showing again!

• Like 4

This is why I don't finish anything. I applied a narrow strip of Tamiya tape under the canopy and just as it caught the paint I pulled it back to reposition, and it lifted down to bare plastic - the Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with levelling thinner performing as well as the old water based acrylic rubbish that almost drove me out of the hobby. I've feathered it out, shall respray the blue, and treat the rest of this model as if it's been painted in bad quality paint. I must admit that wasting so much time on detacking low-tack tape like Tamiya's is just an anathema to me at this point. I'm going to dispose of all remaining Levelling Thinners I have. It's too high risk to use. I'll stick to my own and cellulose from now on. Mr Surfacer thins fine in cellulose anyway...

PXL_20210125_165715189.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

On 1/26/2021 at 1:08 PM, Jochen Barett said:

Looks like you are rather going for a "wrong 70/71/76" than a "wrong 02/71/65", is that right?

I think it might be - the paints on the Buchons appears to be the same as the paint on the Casa "Heinkels" in the movie, so I think 70/71 is more like what they were representing?

P129_four_Me109s_in_formation_flight.jpg

spitfire-messerschmitt-me-109-battle-of-

Flypast_Oct07-lineup_of_yellow_109s.jpg

2091047181_efe9c1e52a_z.jpg

• Like 5

Talking in approximation yellow 11+- seems to represent "wrong 02/70/65" with a more blue and white (less grey) 65 than you chose and lightened RAL 6003 or toned down 6013 for their interpretation of RLM 02 and maybe Humbrol authentics (extra large tin) Schwarzgrün (lightened RAL 6012). Naturally not using RAL but some other "standard" or completely self mixing the paints.

Yellow 5+- and 6+- (with red 8,9, and 10 in the background are using a (to me) more olive and darker tone, maybe trying to represent RLM 70/71. In 6+- the lighter of the two maybe leaning towards RAL 6028.

The pic with 5+- and the Spitfire is showing more contrast in the photo but less contrast between the two dark greens (sun from a different angle and factors of the photographic process).

In a way I feel I should try to persuade you to use a more baby-blue 65 represenation after I saw this https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/11/27/38276/ and this http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-articles/connie-edwards-buchons-battle-britain-remake.html

Let's see how your combination looks with a bit of satin coat on it and photographed in sunlight!

• Like 1

Under artificial light (at 57 degrees north it's only day light when I'm working during the winter months) and unmasked we get this. I'm Scottish so I'd rather have a fist fight and a trip to the dentist in the same day than ever strip repaint a model so this will have to do 🤣

PXL_20210126_165157502.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Under artificial light (at 57 degrees north it's only day light when I'm working during the winter months) and unmasked we get this. I'm Scottish so I'd rather have a fist fight and a trip to the dentist in the same day than ever strip repaint a model so this will have to do 🤣

I can offer only 53° North (and grey sky too) and due to anti-Covid-regulations will have to keep 1,5m distance, so no fist fighting today 😇 (sorry!)

Seems the contrast you achieved between the two greens is somewhere in between the contrast observed on yellow 6+- and 11+- and brightness and color ballance shiftet (from 4 hours ago (and "yesterday at 18:07") to this update, judging by the background, esp. a grey spot, 7hs ago in front of the port sede canon, 4hs ago where the pilot sets his foot before entering and "now" located left-below the starboard stabilizer) minutely showing a more blueish 65 now.

• Like 1

I just read threw your Flying Scholarship story. Our 16 year old son is currently going through the selection process here in Canada with Air Cadets for the Glider Scholarship. He was just named the top fourth year cadet, scored 100% on the Transport Canada exam, passed his medical, all that is left is the selection board. His squadron will send one person on the scholarship, and only two have selected to continue on (he is one of them).

I went through the air cadet program too, I aged out as the SCWO. I served just under 25 years in the CAF/RCAF.

Nice builds!

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I swear I shall never allow Levelling Thinners near another model of mine as long as I live. Even the adhesively-indifferent Oramask vinyl is pulling everything off down to bare plastic wherever I used Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with levelling thinners. I regret that so much. Paints and thinners fall into 2 categories: Proper hydrocarbon solvent types and those which do not work.

PXL_20210204_081424701.jpg

PXL_20210204_081414934.jpg

No Mr Surfacer was used on the wings, and as a result I have the entirely perfect adhesion with zero problems that I am accustomed to.

PXL_20210204_081435473.jpg

• Sad 8

45 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I swear I shall never allow Levelling Thinners near another model of mine as long as I live. Even the adhesively-indifferent Oramask vinyl is pulling everything off down to bare plastic wherever I used Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with levelling thinners. I regret that so much. Paints and thinners fall into 2 categories: Proper hydrocarbon solvent types and those which do not work.

Hmm, that's no fun at all.  Paint lifting sucks.

Sorry about the unmasking issues.

As to colours, I recall reading in a FlyPast article about the filming that the colours were the art department’s choices to look convincing but more importantly appear good on the chosen film stock.  Presumably that’s why in the various period stills from the movie and people around it, the pale green element of the German camouflage  can vary from light grey to seriously green, that’s before considering processing, 40years  storage of the slides or prints and then the quality of scanning!  Then whether the picture was  taken in sunny Spain or dismal UK that year!

Same with undersides of the RAF planes appearing from pale grey to sky to RLM65.  And white codes... it was all about making it look good on the big screen, if they were worried about historical accuracy they might have painted the ground vehicles a different colour, not used Bedford QLs or used a hairdresser who knew 40s hairdos!

My dad was mad keen on slide photos in the 70s and usually used Agfa but there was a massive difference in colour balance if he ever used Kodak (way too orange) or Fuji (grimly bluish)!

So I reckon almost any choice is valid if it matches your perception of the movie camo.  I’m interested how your model comes out as I have the SH movie Buchon to build in 1/72.  Unfortunately fundecals emailed me back that their 1/72 decals for AIA are no longer available but I think I should be able to cobble something up from spares decals and masking for the Mark.Mahaddie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

No Mr Surfacer was used on the wings, and as a result I have the entirely perfect adhesion with zero problems that I am accustomed to.

I hope this is no violation of the no swearing policy - "What a bummer!"  But in every crisis, there is opportunity, so maybe today is the day to cut/grind/sand off the umbrella holders.

Judging by the msds ( https://manualzz.com/doc/8122791/gunze-mr-colour-thinner--t101--102--103--104- ) all this mr-xy-stuff is alcohol-/water-based acrylic resin, not (proper) alkyd based resin.

Maybe you could talk some paint maker (maybe working in some small company in the UK) into "inventing" (composing or developing) a lovely levelling filler or base coat based on alkyd resin.

Glad I found this post, very interesting .I have a couple of movie stars on the shelves albeit in 1/72 with a Buchon recently added to the stash to do up as a BoB Star.

Great job so far Jamie on the Buchon. Your attention to detail is annoyingly superb. Can't wait to see the two 'Stars' together again.

Lovely Spitfire Mk.IX/I FG2Si, beautifully done.

Well done guys, look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Red Dog

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Motivation / interest in models has been non-existent lately. I really should have been dropping the rear suspension cradle out of my XJ-S but my shoulder which I damaged in November was aching last night so I've taken today off, and thought I'd force myself to do some of this. As seems to be a trend developing, my standards have dropped and I don't particularly care too much how it goes.

I found some Ultracast exhausts intended for the Hasegawa Spitfires and decided to use those instead of kit parts. The Academy/Hobby Craft kit offers two types of exhaust stacks. Both are crap.

PXL_20210703_125933431.jpg

I made a plate to go straight through the cowling to give myself something to glue them to and ensure both sets of stacks were parallel.

PXL_20210703_135754576.jpg

With those painted and drying, I applied some fairly over-the-top dirt. The Buchons in the movie appear in various states of cleanliness, and film studio artists tend to be fairly impressionistic in their application of grime so I did likewise.

PXL_20210703_153059230.jpg

PXL_20210703_153129508.jpg

I keep bending that pitot tube. I may have to replace it with a brass tube.

• Like 13