Ah, the Jagdpanther is 1/48? I assumed it was 1/35 from the pic you sent - in that case I am even more impressed with the camowork B) 

The Dora still OOB?

And the Buchon is coming along nicely too B) 

Personally I'm a one-thing-at-a-time sort of bloke. Make a mess of one thing, then move on to fail at the next :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Ah, the Jagdpanther is 1/48? I assumed it was 1/35 from the pic you sent - in that case I am even more impressed with the camowork B) 

The Dora still OOB?

And the Buchon is coming along nicely too B) 

Personally I'm a one-thing-at-a-time sort of bloke. Make a mess of one thing, then move on to fail at the next :D

Cheers,

Stew

You were correct the first time my friend - it's 1/35 - just a bit further away! :D

The Dora is still OOB - except for adding Eduard unpainted PE brass seatbelts which is allowed, isn't it? Oh, but I did find a set of Ultracast Dora exhaust stacks for the Tamiya kit in my stash so I'll use those too. I'd feel more guilty not using them, if that makes sense.

I have become well accustomed to the larger feeling of compound disappointment 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Love that clip :D 

Seven is a magic number isn't it?

I was told that any group of more than seven people will split into two groups.

I've given up trying to remember things and now keep lists.

Which begs the question - if you make a list where the first entry is 'Make a list', when can you cross it off?

• Haha 4

The Academy (ex-Hobbycraft) Buchon's propeller has a hole in the middleish. This has needed relocated a bit.

PXL_20210109_134649112.jpg

I've at last got the fuselage halves joined and the wings attached also. The propeller and spinner are just posed for effect. The spinner needs modified as per the film aircraft to feature the dummy cannon which fired through the V of the cylinder banks, through the reduction gearbox and propeller hub.

PXL_20210109_135202393.jpg

Finally I can try *that* pose

PXL_20210109_135343809.jpg

• Like 10

I made some window sills from iroko for our bathroom yesterday so didn't touch the Buchon until a coffee break this morning.

137228530_10158899796046489_219064107670

I decided to tackle the spinner. The movie aircraft had their otherwise pointy spinners Messerschmitted by adding a hole to mimic where the Bf109E's autocannon firing through the propeller hub.

TM100B_closeup_of_Merlin_in_ME109.jpg

I decided to tackle this by pilot-drilling from the inside to get the hole started. It popped through slightly off-centre - although not as much as the kit's propeller hub mounting hole!!

PXL_20210111_100827902.jpg

Opening the hole out gradually to the size I felt looked about right I adjusted the centreline, then counterbored it to add the internal chamfer clearly seen on the real thing. It was finished off with an Infini Model sanding sponge.

PXL_20210111_101833280.jpg

• Like 11

There's a wee bit of a step at the front of the cowlings, and only at the top where the left and right halves meet. It's not huge but enough to annoy, so I've glued a 10thou plasticard shim to the front face. Once the Tamiya Extra Thin has done its stuff and the plastic has hardened again I'll trim away the excess and file it flat.

PXL_20210111_115414350.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The movie aircraft had their otherwise pointy spinners Messerschmitted by adding a hole to mimic where the Bf109E's autocannon firing through the propeller hub.

Some 109E's had the hole, but some didn't.  The hole was for cooling apparently.   

Note, the hole has led to the idea the Emil had an engine mounted cannon, it didn't.  

But considering the subsequent F/G/K models did, it's hardly surprising there is confusion though...... :rolleyes:  

neat work on Buchon so far. 

• Thanks 1

It's a case of trying to tidy this up now, so lots of seam work around the nose as well as deleting that V-shaped join under the belly where the wing meets the fuselage. The Eduard kit is very good indeed and even better considering the price, but this engineering feature of the kit would have been so easy to avoid.

I still need to tackle the rear fuselage whereby the hole the Bf109's tailwheel partially retracts into needs deleted.

I wasn't satisfied with the spinner so I've added plasticard infill pieces to the backplate since the kit part holes for the propeller weren't backed and resulted in huge U shaped holes rather than propeller-blade sized round ones.

PXL_20210113_105410849.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

It's my youngest daughter's 9th birthday today. Soon I'll turn 40. Sovereign Hobbies was an impulse decision of a 33 year old. I started this thread half a year ago. As the late Sandy Denny once pondered in song form, "Who knows where the time goes?".

Still, it's actually been a good week as weeks go. After 2 years and 2 weeks elapsed since our house fire, following defeat at the hand of the Financial Ombudsman Services at the end of November 2020, our insurance company has paid into our bank account the full amount they should have (and indeed originally agreed to) complete with 8% per annum interest as instructed by the FOS. To celebrate this, I spent £1,600 on 30 square meters of Moroccan limestone tiles with some electric under floor heating. Having done a lot of labour myself in the time elapsed I can use some of the money for nice materials I otherwise would really struggle to justify. What I hadn't appreciated was that they'd weigh 905kg, so I've had a bit of a workout offloading the pallet and bringing them indoors. Still, I wanted to do a little bit of modelling before all my fine motor control goes out the window and I'm recalibrated to hoof heavy things around and hit stuff with big hammers again. The Buchon got an hour or so's attention this afternoon.

First of all, I filled the hole for the retractable tailwheel. I couldn't be bothered with the perceived hassle of epoxy putty so just used the superglue and baking soda technique instead.

Bish

PXL_20210123_154415690.jpg

Bash

PXL_20210123_154734798.MP.jpg

Bosh

PXL_20210123_155124247.MP.jpg

Job done.

Next I needed to get the wing mounted machine guns on. The Academy/ex-Hobbycraft kit offers guns with big sleeves which are fine for a 'real' Buchon but not how the aircraft appeared pretending to be Bf-109Es for the film. I had some Master barrels left over from my last Fw-190 build and thought to modify them by spinning them in a pinvice in the powerdrill.

PXL_20210123_160059423.jpg

PXL_20210123_160156692.jpg

Yeah that was a crap idea, so instead I made some from Albion Alloy brass tube. I'm desperately low on that so need to re-order. I used loads of it up on my Sikorsky S-61N undercarriage, not that there's much to show for it once assembled!

PXL_20210123_163220691.jpg

I was able to flare the muzzles of these with the tips of my favourite needle-nose tweezers. I then drilled the leading edges of the wings and stuck them in.

PXL_20210123_164147872.jpg

For the dummy machine guns on top of the cowling, I had been intending to use the Eduard kit's MG barrels, but on comparison they were much too thick compared to my fairings, so instead I turned once again to brass tube. I had about 15mm of 0.5mm tube left which should have been a sliding fit into the fairings, but upon trying that I became an old man suddenly and it twanged out of my tweezers and shot like a shooting star for the far wall, last heard skittering its way behind shelving units somewhere. So, 0.3mm it is then! To flare the muzzles I had to use one of Gill's dress making pins.

PXL_20210123_165203417.jpg

As usual whenever I try to scratchbuild anything though, on my second barrel the tube slipped in the tweezers during the flaring operation, and I mangled it.

PXL_20210123_165211104.jpg

Perhaps I should stick to hitting things with big hammers... After making a third machine gun barrel I had two I could use.

PXL_20210123_165728960.jpg

Overall it's shaping up ok, and it's not toooooo far away from paint. There's canopy masking, obviously, a pair of vents to scribe into the belly, flaps / radiator shutters to fit and the Buchon's fixed tailwheel fairing to fit before paint though.

PXL_20210123_165824998.jpg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice guns etc, Jamie. And congrats on finally beating the sharks and getting your overdue compensation.

Thanks Pete, it's such a relief, honestly.

Can I ask, do you see pictures or just links there? I've tried editing and relinking the post a few times but it's just showing me URLs instead of my photos this time. I'm a bit confused!

Yes, Mate. They are coming through as links. I was sure there were pictures in your thread last time. 

I just right clicked on them & saw them on a new link, but there may be a problem.

Your previous posts have also now become links, so it must be a problem at village.photos.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Thanks Pete, it's such a relief, honestly.

Can I ask, do you see pictures or just links there? I've tried editing and relinking the post a few times but it's just showing me URLs instead of my photos this time. I'm a bit confused!

Im only seeing links if that helps ? 

• Thanks 1

Links here too but it's worth the extra clicks :) 

GREAT news that the insurance has finally paid up, with interest, and that you can now, hopefully, settle in to some major DIY :whistle:

Really happy for you both.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yes, Mate. They are coming through as links. I was sure there were pictures in your thread last time. 

I just right clicked on them & saw them on a new link, but there may be a problem.

Your previous posts have also now become links, so it must be a problem at village.photos.

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im only seeing links if that helps ? 

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Links here too but it's worth the extra clicks :) 

GREAT news that the insurance has finally paid up, with interest, and that you can now, hopefully, settle in to some major DIY :whistle:

Really happy for you both.

Golly gosh darnit. I'll look in to that because it's hardly the epitome of convenience expecting people to click link by link, is it?

As for house/DIY - indeed I will Ced. Yesterday I built a plinth/ledge-type-thing which will give a sit-on-able surface the height of the bath in the corner and today, before tinning up RAF Dark Green, I will built a similar structure for inside the shower which doubtless will be fully stocked with various shampoos, conditioners, body milks, loofahs and whatnot. It seems inevitable living with 3 females...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jamie I wonder if it's an 'upgrade' to BM?

The links aren't secure (http not https) so may be considered 'a risk'?

Might be worth pinging Mike :) 

• Thanks 1

And now they won't open in separate tabs. Normal or incognito. I just get a safety message page.

Does anyone else use village.photos?

Go have a look at imgur.com.  It's drag and drop and dead easy. It needs to be for me!

• Thanks 1