Italeri 1/48 Wessex HAS.1 - 814 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1961 + NOW COMPLETED +

• Icarus changed the title to Italeri 1/48 Wessex HAS.1 - 814 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1961
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Morning.  A bit late getting going on this one - life and all that.  Made a start on the cockpit this weekend, aiming for the build to be OOTB...

spacer.png

I have to say I do like the modern Italeri kits - just enough detail, and fun to build!

Icarus

• Like 8

Morning all.  This model really is  a pleasure to build.  These are the "innards" painted up and weathered...

qiEqT1Zak_ES1Jl5enqmEXilXeSR9x95FMs_ZSgf

KLM6gmZZktYmB-0yD4Ekbyz-9mRnsA4YZwkpgvB9

And a test fit of the fuselage halves.  Beautifully detailed plastic, but it looks like there may be a few minor fit issues to be addressed on the way.  We shall see.

iBH1qtOPDmrQg8EE2TjNqsuPXz1fCE4phSQ8FX5A

Thanks for looking!

Icarus

• Like 7

Thanks Pete

18 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

All the faults on the kit are highlighted and corrected

of which there are many.

Italeri don't do accuracy.  They're not too keen on fit either

Build thread to be found here

and RFI over here

PC310022.JPG&key=7f1ac904105a2cd1b61f63e

• Like 3

So, a bit more work on this last night.  The fuselage halves are together as best I could make it - will let this cure for 24h then start the inevitable filler/sanding sessions...

jwfHTs2AqXcUTupqabEGaFktM8kmHdO6roYfmPaa

I have been using my trusty scalpel skills to make the canopy masks as well...

ciM8czo_rpp7EAiGgSuRnGDSLd2YGt49M4hXKFTv

Looking to have the main fuselage components all closed up this evening, then off to the paint shop...

Thanks for looking!

Icarus

• Like 6

So, actually not too bad on the seams.  Largely a sanding exercise, with some re-scribing.

NLpGIGgmGkvVFyjOLm3xsQy7KjLKNM5Dua4SZQSa

We shall see when this is primed later, but no real drama here.  I also had a bit more fun painting some more of the cockpit detail.

Adg1MKfU_0MCCzYOVVkO5olg9Me9BnJrNhX14odS

Will do a bit of dry brushing later just to make the lovely surface detail on the IP PE pop out.  Hopefully will get the basic fuselage closed up and primed later this evening.

Thanks for looking!

Icarus

• Like 5

Morning everyone.  I didn't quite round to priming this last night as the nose seam required quite a lot of sanding work.  Anyway, this is where we are this morning with this really rather fun build..

7Rg365r2IMv-W1wBy_M0GxIVmlnoMAoy4pX0oMdH

I've added the PE vents on the tail structure (slightly out of focus).  The nose is just tacked on with white gluer, as I will need to add the mesh inside the nose vents after final painting.  The same for the extra winch and rail detail on the fuselage, wheels and lovely PE mesh that sits around the rotor hub.

Will be priming this later after the kids are dropped off at dancing/football etc!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 6

So, priming went well - no remedial work necessary.  The first layer of the upper yellow colour has been laid down,

zwP25pbbFGWq19Naa_z---6YFchF7mgxMfy3A9zR

I must say I haven't really used Vallejo paints before, but they seem to be excellent.  Good coverage, no unpleasant odours and easy cleaning of the airbrush afterwards.

Will be building up the yellow today, before masking this up ready for the lower dark blue.

Thanks for watching!

Icarus

• Like 5

Seconded on the Vallejo paint.  Just make sure you only use the Vallejo thinner and retarder or water.  Keep any thinner that smells like IPA well from the paint or it will turn to gloop and bung up the airbrush.  Ask me know I know.......

AW

5 hours ago, Icarus said:

Thank you Andwil - noted.  Water works fine.

Icarus

13 hours ago, Andwil said:

Seconded on the Vallejo paint.  Just make sure you only use the Vallejo thinner and retarder or water.  Keep any thinner that smells like IPA well from the paint or it will turn to gloop and bung up the airbrush.  Ask me know I know.......

AW

I'm using a couple of drops of Vallejo flow improver when airbrushing, it works fine as a thinner too.  

• Like 1