*done* 5./KG 26, Mittelmeerraum

vppelt68

18 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

VP

What in the Ju88 STGB? Is an old GB or an up and coming one. I have several Ju 88's I want to build. In particular a Ju 88c-6 that is in one of my paintings (Prints) of them flying low over a uboot in the Bay of Biscay. Also another one I want to do is a torpedo version which was based in Norway along side my Ju 188 in 1945.

Glad if you´re interested too 🙂. V-P

• Like 1

Baby steps... I got the cockpit good enough for my liking, attached it to the central/wingspar section and then inserted them to the fuselage which was then quickly assembled.

2020-07-30_11-22-42

This pic is actually about 2x enlargement of the kit and taken with flash on purpose, as the cockpit rear wall would otherwise show only as a dark blob. I know I used too light grey in drybrushing and overdid it in general but if i want anything to be seen through the glazing... it needs to be so! V-P

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to start my summer vacation, spent most of last week at Åland. Domestic travel is booming in Finland this summer, thanks to we all know what. So, the Einkle was left home when I left. Took a few baby steps when I got back to her last night.

2020-08-08_11-58-18

Here she is on her own three wheels. The wings and elevators are just pushed in, dry. The fit is, ah, so Hasegawasque :thumbsup:. I added some clumsy masking tape strips on the seats.

2020-08-08_11-59-07

Gotta love the way Hasegawa makes sure the elevators will be straight. Airfix has similar setup in the new Lancaster. This is really worth copying, don't you think so too? The Hu 117 looks kinda bright in the picture but a lot better "live". V-P

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Just when everybody had either forgotten this or regarded this as a potential DNF:er, I´m glad to show some progress.

2020-09-09_11-53-41

The next step will be painting the fuselage, the tailplanes and wings are just pushed on for pic taking purposes. V-P

• Like 4

11 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

The next step will be painting the fuselage, the tailplanes and wings are just pushed on for pic taking purposes. V-P

Hi V-P, I thought about painting the wings on my He111 but then thought it would be best to wait until they were glued on and the joints cleaned up.  Did the nose glazing go on OK?

14 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi V-P, I thought about painting the wings on my He111 but then thought it would be best to wait until they were glued on and the joints cleaned up.  Did the nose glazing go on OK?

Mmmm but these Revegawa joints don´t need a lot of clening up.

2020-09-10_01-42-08

That's un-pressed, free standing joint, in my opinion near perfect as it is.

2020-09-10_01-44-00

This is a view from below. There is a visible gap, but it disappears when pushing the wings "in". I think that when I´ll eventually cement them in, I´ll first add some TET to the upper seam and when it´s set, I´ll do the same to the belly side plus use some tape and rubber bands to hold 'em tight! Besides, the torpedoes will steal all the attention anyway :coolio:.

2020-09-10_01-55-34

How did the glazing go on then? This is a bad pic but so is my mistake with the canopy installation too! I assembled it "on site", attaching piece by piece to the fuselage and other canopy pieces, not separately as the instructions suggest. For a possible next build I´d assemble it the same way BUT in a reverse order. The large curved upper canopy piece N3 has a small kink on the starboard side, thus it´s the part that should go on first... of the three canopy side pieces that was the one I attached the last 😞 . So I´d add them now in order N3-N1-N4 and would probably avoid generating that long gap below N3. It has to be filled.

V-P

• Like 3

• vppelt68 changed the title to 5./KG 26 torpedo bomber, Mittelmeerraum
  • vppelt68 changed the title to 5./KG 26, Mittelmeerraum

After a long pause thanks to spending a lot of time re-modelling home vs. modelling, against many expectations me and the 'Einkle we´re still very much...

The belly is now painted and next will be the fuselage uppers - remember, the wings and tailplanes are already finished (but still not cemented). Sharp eyed ones of you may notice I dropped the "torpedo bomber" from the thread title; I´m not that happy how the torps I have look like and will probably finish this with empty racks.  V-P

IMG_20201022_114418

• Like 3

On 9/10/2020 at 1:15 PM, vppelt68 said:

How did the glazing go on then? This is a bad pic but so is my mistake with the canopy installation too! I assembled it "on site", attaching piece by piece to the fuselage and other canopy pieces, not separately as the instructions suggest. For a possible next build I´d assemble it the same way BUT in a reverse order. The large curved upper canopy piece N3 has a small kink on the starboard side, thus it´s the part that should go on first... of the three canopy side pieces that was the one I attached the last 😞 . So I´d add them now in order N3-N1-N4 and would probably avoid generating that long gap below N3. It has to be filled.

V-P

In my first Hasegawa/Revell build of H-3 I glued first the bottom of glazing, after a day or more I glued upper part and finally the small one on right side, but I needed to use a file to make it fit. Below 0.5 mm to remove, but I needed to do this. Then I attached front copula. Due to need of use of file in a second build (Zwilling) I glued all three pieces alone together,  prior to attaching it to fuselage. Even copulas and MGs were glued before  it was glued to fuselage. Finally both complete canopies were glued to fuselages. In left fuselage it went OK, in right fuselage a small use of filler was necessary, really few.

Regards

J-W

• Like 3

Hi VP, there was I thinking I was in for a long journey to read through this thread & suddenly whizz, like a time traveller, I 'm here. Brilliant, more should try it. :D

That is some nice building there with good tips & some interesting history on this unit. I've read about the PQ convoys & their harrowing voyages, such bravery on display, but we forget about the bravery shown by these airmen opposing them. Thanks for bringing that out.

Is that Hu65 on the undersides, it looks better than I thought it might?

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Steve, it is indeed Humbrol 65 but my camera and lighting maybe did some tricks together. Anyways, here is the last build pic. The Heinkel was a nice kit but I could have done it a lot better than I did. Thanks to our typical October weather I will not take this out to receive rattle can flat varnish, no way! So it's just peeling off all that masking before I take a pic or two for the Gallery - :yahoo:.

Thanks to Arnie and Mr. Matrix for running the show for us again :thumbsup:. V-P

2020-10-25_05-58-36

• Like 3

• vppelt68 changed the title to *done* 5./KG 26, Mittelmeerraum
5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Thank you Steve, it is indeed Humbrol 65 but my camera and lighting maybe did some tricks together.

It sounds from the comment you put into your gallery entry that maybe, just maybe, Humbrol have revisited Hu 65. I may have to get a tin & try it if I can find a new one. My LHS has had a recent shipment, lets hope. :)

Steve.

• Like 1