*done* 5./KG 26, Mittelmeerraum

vppelt68

Woohoo, finally it's here :yahoo:

What's up, then? I have been sparing my reboxed by Revell, plastics by Hasegawa 1:72 H-6 for this one. No need to write more about the plane type because this is a STGB :winkgrin:.

I have an Eduard mask set which is numbered CX003, one of their very first I believe. I have also got a pair of Hasegawa torpedoes kindly donated to me by fellow Britmodeller @bil some years ago for a Ju 88 torp build, but I then went for Zvezda parts instead. Now they'll be finally put to good use, thank you yet again!

I will build a convoy hunting KG 26 plane from summer 1942, that's for sure, but what I have not yet decided is whether it'll be one from the Arctic or the Mediterranean :hmmm:. We'll see! V-P

• Like 4

Checking some references to pinpoint my subject. Most likely it will be an Arctic one. In the midsummer of 1942, Stab and Stabstaffel KG 26 were based in Stavanger (2+4 He 111 H-6) while the whole first Gruppe I/KG 26 was based in Bardufoss (39 He 111 H-6 LT). The strength numbers come from Flugbereitschaft dated 30.6.1942 via the excellent book by Hannu Valtonen, Ph.D and Lt.Col FinAF (ret), Luftwaffen Pohjoinen Sivusta (The Northern Flank of the Luftwaffe). A good reason for you guys to start learning some Finnish :coolio:.

I will build one of the planes from the first Gruppe. During the convoy battles against PQ 17 and PQ 18, I don´t say it was bled white, but the losses were horrific. In those icy waters a plane lost usually meant a crew lost too. Here are the listed losses in the book:

PQ 17

4.7.1942:

WNr. 4966 damaged 25% by AA- fire in the Barents sea, FF KIA

2./KG 26 WNr. and code unknown, AA- fire set one engine on fire, ditched, crew MIA

WNr. 7098 1H+GH shot down by AA- fire from SS El Capitan and Bellingham, MIA

WNr. 7156 1H+MH shot down by AA- fire from USS Wainwright, crew POW

WNr. 7147 1H+LK damaged by AA- fire, ditched, crew RTD but one WIA

1H+IH ditched, crew RTD

WNr. 7011 damaged 65%, crew RTD?

WNr. 7084 ditched, crew RTD?

PQ 18

WNr. 7076 1H+DH shot down by AA-fire south of Spitzbergen, crew MIA

WNr. 4535 1H+BK shot down by AA-fire south of Spitzbergen, crew RTD 24.9.

WNr. 7567 1H+NK shot down by AA-fire south of Spitzbergen, crew saved by a U-boat which was later sunk

WNr. 4727 ditched south of Spitzbergen, crew RTD saved by a seaplane

WNr. 4818 1H+NK MIA near Nordkapp

WNr. 7157 1H+GN shot down by AA-fire at Barents Sea, crew saved by a He 115 (probably wrong plane code, though, N refers to 5. Staffel of II Gruppe that was a way south at that time)

WNr. 7229 1H+NH MIA in Spitzbergen

WNr. 7381 1H+MH MIA in Spitzbergen

WNr. 4473 1H+AK MIA in Spitzbergen

WNr. 7043 1H+HK MIA in Spitzbergen

WNr. 7150 1H+ML MIA in Spitzbergen

WNr. 7232 1H+FL MIA in Spitzbergen

WNr. 7168 1H+GH MIA in Spitzbergen

WNr. 4825 1H+GL MIA near Nordkapp

WNr. ? damage% ? BF KIA and BM WIA in Spitzbergen

WNr. ? damage% ? BS WIA in Spitzbergen

That was a day for I/KG 26 to remember. My build thread... to be continued! V-P

• Like 3

That list is very interesting.  I plan to do one of my torpedo bombers as an PQ17 attacker. I thought they were the earlier H-5 in that attack. I will have to look into it more. Maybe they were early H-6 with the old style propellers. The old Pro modeller kit is perfect for that. I have three of them.🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

That list is very interesting.  I plan to do one of my torpedo bombers as an PQ17 attacker. I thought they were the earlier H-5 in that attack. I will have to look into it more. Maybe they were early H-6 with the old style propellers. The old Pro modeller kit is perfect for that. I have three of them.🙂

Go on, do it, I'm thinking of building one of mine as a blitz night bomber, you cannot leave them in the stash forever. 😉

The obligatory box, sprue, decal, instruction and aftermarket pics; both of them:

2020-07-24_08-04-46

Only aftermarket will be the mask set.

2020-07-24_08-06-03

The improved blue box - actually you just can't make it any worse than it is originally!

This is actually a very simple looking kit. Let's see what surprises that promises to lay hidden in it :hmmm:. V-P

• Like 3

Yes, it's a Hasegawa kit with a Revell price tag.

I woke up early this morning and headed to the Heinkel. There was a surprisingly large number of parts I saw better to assemble before painting them.

2020-07-25_08-32-58

Even the landing gear bay doors are already there. The fit has been excellent and flash almost nonexistent. Also, the actual number of parts needed is not that big. It's a big but simple kit, good for its big but simple builder 😊. V-P

• Like 4

That is indeed some RLM, no, Humbrol 65 brushed on the lower wing and stabilizer halves.

2020-07-25_07-44-21

I spied the Hasegawa torpedo bomber kit instructions online. Learned to use the correct pair of external bomb racks and add the electronic altitude meter dipoles. V-P

• Like 2

Day two, a busy Sunday doing all kinds of things except building models BUT  I managed to finish the landing gear and then assemble the wings. They are primered, tops Hu 117 lowers Hu 65, like the stabilizers/elevators too. Cockpit is short of some drybrushing and detail painting, then the fuselage is ready to be buttoned up too.

2020-07-26_08-58-55

V-P

• Like 2

Day three. I got the engines attached to wings and some cockpit painting done. Fuselage halves, interior/spar piece and wings are only clicked together in this pic - but it's itching me awfully lot to just grab the TET and glue it all together! The fit, by the way, is very good. The fuselage seam is open only because of lack of push, and glue. V-P

2020-07-27_11-17-00

• Like 4

I'm about to mask up my two projects in the BOB group build and the Heinkel here. I don't have to mask up myself because we don't have the virus here in the community only in the isolation hotels that quarantine travelers. Life here is pretty normal it is only when I want to get some modelling stuff from overseas that I notice things are not normal. However any sign of the virus escaping quarantine on goes the mask when I go out in public. 

• Like 1

VP

What in the Ju88 STGB? Is an old GB or an up and coming one. I have several Ju 88's I want to build. In particular a Ju 88c-6 that is in one of my paintings (Prints) of them flying low over a uboot in the Bay of Biscay. Also another one I want to do is a torpedo version which was based in Norway along side my Ju 188 in 1945.

• Like 1