Despite the crazy eBay price inflation of Wingnut Wing kits since the company closed down, I decided to pull one out of my stash to build. I picked the post-war DeHaviland DH.9a and built it in RAF in 1924 Iraq dress. A big bird in 1/32 scale with a simple monochrome paint scheme that would give my rigging skills a good work out. This kit was typical WNW - everything fit perfect as long as paint was scrapped off of mating surfaces. I used thin EZ line and Bob's Buckles for the rigging. I tried the heavier EZ line but it just looked too thick, something between the thin and heavy line would probably have been more appropriate. Rigging took me 3-1/2 days and definitely exercised my skills at tying knots with a pair of tweezers. The excellent Cartograph decals seemed a little on the brittle side which makes me wonder what the shelf life of the decals will be on all the WNW kits being horded these days.

A fun straight forward build I highly recommend!

spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 47
  • Thanks 2

A really great job on your DH9 - I bet this model takes up a fair bit of display space!

Regards

Dave

I know little about biplanes and, to me, the rigging looks perfect. Exceptional build all the way around. Were I a museum curator, I'd display that model with pride!

What a lovely build, that is very good. I too have this kit in my stash and can understand your question with regarding building WNW kits. I have started my AEG bomber and tried not to look at the cost of it on eBay!   Still I bought them to make and so that is what I will do.  
Looking at you kit I never noticed that the aircraft carried its own spare wheel before.  
Andrew.  

Thank you all for the very kind words of encouragement. The key to rigging for me was to break it up into multiple sessions and take a break and walk away from it when frustration was encountered. 
The other thing I learned in building this five year old kit is that the beautiful Cartograph decals supplied by WNW only get more fragile as the years go by so there may be a price to be paid if one waits too long to assembly the favorites in your stash. Thanks again for the encouragement to “build away”!

That is simply beautiful, it looks very smart in overall silver. I totally agree that these these kits are for building, not hoarding. (Fokker D.VII on my bench at present).

What have you line up for your next build?

Cheers

John

Great job - point taken about the decals, I have one WNW kit in my stash (the Immelman Eindecker E.II) so maybe I shouldn't wait much longer to get into that!

The previous WNW build that I completed last Feb was an Eindecker IV, a humbling experience. I purchased this kit directly from the WNW crew that had a booth at the US IPMS Nationals last year in Chattanooga, TN for a paltry $60; if I’d only knew they were to shutting their doors seven months later I’d have charge my credit card for a few more! Even though it was an older kit (2013), the decals held up. Other than the rigging, I found the Ninak to be far less spindly and difficult to assemble than the Eindecker.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

My next/ current builds? Back on cars for a while to minimize storage constraints (Ebbro 1/20 Lotus 49B, Fujimi 1/24 ‘64 Porsche 2000GS Carrera).

This is an incredible build. I'm totally inspired.

I really want this kit. I've discovered some family history with the type and have narrowed it down to one of two serial numbers. Not an easy kit to find now though!