KAMAZ Typhoon K

Hi all,

this is going to be my next build.

y4mj5C83TcEDO38-qkBVfl12jMmTdlJnjpk8pyFY

In the large box you find the upper hull as one piece, four big sprues grey styrene, one clear sprue, a small photo etch fret and a small decal sheet.

y4mDczo9N_0gVriGyqVBgQbKU3Koo99ineNPLkCz

y4mnmiGV9B8RT6R4Lx8q1Xhk6fnR2lPylW5-ODN9

The parts are nicely moulded, no obvious flash or ejection marks. I intend to build a Typhoon K of Russian Military Police in Syria because the colourful stripes will break the green overall scheme. I bougt the decal sheet from Echelon Fine Details, which has also parts for the blue flasher included.

y4myber5_XKYD4kYPe3ZNW8Pyg70lgAgQaw91RCs

y4mRiFhNPDw-DAaZV9lvu3GWEPaGsYh6gRynbcgL

The decal sheet also includes decals for a GAZ Tiger, which is great, so I can build another one ´!

That's all for now, I hope to show some progress soon. Thanks for looking!

Edited by flashlight
Signature change
  • Like 10

Hi Darryl, thank you very much.

I also discovered the Typhoon-K only recently. There seems to be a whole Typhoon family - there is a Typhoon VDV also made by KAMAZ (there will be a kit provided from Meng soon), a Typhoon U built by Ural and so on. Quite interesting vehicles.

• Like 1

The Typhoons are essentially the Russian versions of the Western MRAP vehicles.  This one is a rough equivalent of the Cougar/Mastiff and has been used in Syria alongside the GAZ Tigr.  As far as I can see none have yet been exported, but I imagine they will be.

So far the Typhoon K hasn't sported any heavy weapons, but when some Tigr now mount a 30mm cannon RWS it can't be long before that sort of weaponry appears.

If there's one thing the Russians are good at, it's chunky trucks.

• Thanks 1

Hi Nic, funnily enough found a review/build of this kit in and old edition of Airfix model world/Magazine. Got a good review apart from the instructions are a little ambiguous if I remember and the wheel to tyre fit isn't very good, otherwise is a good-un.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

I believe that the red stripe livery is Military Police and the blue stripe livery is civil police,  Certainly, images of Russian civilian police vehicles have the blue stripe.

On the subject of the rest of the Typhoon series, if anyone is interested then a new (to me, anyway) company called RPG will be offering the other vehicles in the "family" in 1/35.  At least so Scalemates says ...........  No news on pricing or availability, other than '2020'.

Smaller Kamaz K-4386.  This seems to be 2 kits in 1 box if I read it correctly.              Larger Ural 63095.

spacer.png    spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi everybody,

thank you all for the comments.

On 21/07/2020 at 13:27, Das Abteilung said:

The Typhoons are essentially the Russian versions of the Western MRAP vehicles.  This one is a rough equivalent of the Cougar/Mastiff and has been used in Syria alongside the GAZ Tigr.  As far as I can see none have yet been exported, but I imagine they will be.

So far the Typhoon K hasn't sported any heavy weapons, but when some Tigr now mount a 30mm cannon RWS it can't be long before that sort of weaponry appears.

If there's one thing the Russians are good at, it's chunky trucks.

Thanks for your interesting contribution. I agree with you, they surely will carry some weaponry sometime. And chunky it is!

On 22/07/2020 at 08:49, Jasper dog said:

Hi Nic, funnily enough found a review/build of this kit in and old edition of Airfix model world/Magazine. Got a good review apart from the instructions are a little ambiguous if I remember and the wheel to tyre fit isn't very good, otherwise is a good-un.

Atb

Darryl 

Darryl, thank you very much for the heads up. Reading through the instructions didn't give me the impression of being unclear, but I miss specifications how to paint the interior and chassis parts. It's no big problem, there are plenty pictures to find in the web, but it would have been nice. We'll see how the build commences, and if I get troubles with the instructions.

On 22/07/2020 at 09:44, phildagreek said:

I’m not sure which colour stripes represent which unit/service but I think red stripes would look pretty sharp on it.

Hi Phil, thank you for your help in deciding which colour to take, I have to admit that I also favour the red ones.

15 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I believe that the red stripe livery is Military Police and the blue stripe livery is civil police,  Certainly, images of Russian civilian police vehicles have the blue stripe.

On the subject of the rest of the Typhoon series, if anyone is interested then a new (to me, anyway) company called RPG will be offering the other vehicles in the "family" in 1/35.  At least so Scalemates says ...........  No news on pricing or availability, other than '2020'.   

Very interesting indeed! Company RPG is also new to me. The Typhoon VDV is already on pre-order, the two kits in one box option is also very nice! There is also a resin kit of the Typhoon U in 1/72 by Balaton Model. Re the stripes - the letters are the same on both red an blue - meaning Military Police.

Edited by flashlight
typo
  • Like 1

Enough said, on to the build.

As far as I can say up till now the parts fit is good. You do have to deal with some pin marks, hopefully not in visible areas. To be sure I sanded them smooth. There are also mould lines on some parts, so it takes some time to clean them all up. The build begins with the left hand side of the chassis, where you have to add a lot of smaller parts. This is half way through.

y4mc1SJJfuowNSlJ65LaNJ5PTDcq0TmbToACw23k

Now almost all of the parts are attached, the big stowage bins are only dry fit, I will attach them after the chassis will be painted.

y4mYlLZhhfRwa6BQ-DJIpG4pBUIfbCt-6tkXZ22g

y4mcnNODmnUdK6zzG_JvCP-Fi19TPf5bhkl8D0uT

Next will be the same procedure for the right hand side.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by flashlight
typo
  • Like 7

Even more strangely I fancy the Ural in some sort of future dystopian Police scheme with some mesh screens etc.  Believe it or not many US Police Dept SWAT are now using the BAES Caiman, a broadly similar vehicle about the same size.  Given away free by DoD when no longer needed for Afghanistan! (but US Police forces are not being militarised, nooo, noo, no.........).  I can't see UK Police forces queueing up for surplus Mastiffs and Ridgebacks when they're pensioned-off in a couple of years.  Or perhaps I can.....

Anyway, back in the room this Typhoon is already looking like an impressive kit.

If the tyre fit is problematic, Miniarm, DEF and Panzer Art already offer replacement resin wheels for this kit.

• Thanks 1

On 25/07/2020 at 19:48, Das Abteilung said:

Even more strangely I fancy the Ural in some sort of future dystopian Police scheme with some mesh screens etc.  Believe it or not many US Police Dept SWAT are now using the BAES Caiman, a broadly similar vehicle about the same size.  Given away free by DoD when no longer needed for Afghanistan! (but US Police forces are not being militarised, nooo, noo, no.........).  I can't see UK Police forces queueing up for surplus Mastiffs and Ridgebacks when they're pensioned-off in a couple of years.  Or perhaps I can.....

Anyway, back in the room this Typhoon is already looking like an impressive kit.

If the tyre fit is problematic, Miniarm, DEF and Panzer Art already offer replacement resin wheels for this kit.

Yes, @Das Abteilung, this beast from Ural really looks like it could have taken part in the dismal and grim sceneries of Blade Runner or Batman movies, naturally in black colour. Re the tyres I'll see when I get there, thanks for pointing this out, I'll keep it in mind.

23 hours ago, edjbartos said:

This looks really interesting, i'm into Russian stuff at the moment, so i'll follow along your build....

Ed

@edjbartos Hi Ed, thank you very much, glad that you come along.

Hi all,

had some time at the workbench today, so the build continued. Now the right hand side of the chassis is done...

y4miIc5f1CtrkEQCT_L4M6-GQxN2ESiFxs2KiVyB

...and we have a marriage!

y4m3S6eA_8Tvgb6Mj8rDlzlpbPVwGHh7LioWxIl1

y4mrqaagmL1CuDpMYvRX4RekyJ9j_bScHWqO5kvj

That's all I could do today. Now I have to figure out how to paint, as this arrangement is partly protective green and black. According to walkaround pics the sloped areas seem to be green, the rest black. Maybe I'll paint it all green and then paint the black areas by hand as it will be difficult to mask it off.

After this the real fun will begin - the wheel suspensions! They seem to be quite complicated.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

terribly sorry that you had to wait so long for progress here. Lots of work, very nice weather and my wonderful spouse kept me off the workbench for weeks. During the last days I had some progress at last.

After priming the lower part of the hull and the side bins I sprayed them all olive green. Then I brush painted the parts of the chassis in tar black. That's how it looks like:

y4mjEdp8PhfkLiMUhgXn_kXa32t02RaxmSeOQ1oZ

y4mP-LeL5zCfu20wnRnnIZdyhqTCY3PqBIJ-BlD-

Then I took the side bins and attached them to the sides.

y4m5VZLJ_UiMPdhulGPOaCILJrJ60QQ0T0Gyoy3m

y4mxPwTJPFZsAbVuJWPZFeElR1MghGF-lPra7RVJ

y4m6Km0TAKT6SQsjOdPqbrvQJf29afSQRUPy-lrw

Just for fun I stuck the lower and upper halves together. This is going to be impressive! The fit is excellent btw.

y4m3VTKBpsBBEnuWXIhPjhig6raAh5Zcd53gm4IB

After this I started the wheel suspensions. This is not quite as complicated as it seems, to keep the parts together and moveable you have to flatten the joning pins with a heated screwdriver or the like.

y4mlQQUjkwWNJ0BaD4Yqil3dXot_UPaSVr0cKWIU

After this one suspension I needed some relief and put together and painted the seats light olive. I have to paint them again, in some places the colour did not behave as it should. Now I am waiting for aftermarket seatbelts.

y4mCbFXZ6derb51UKPj1UxV6W7pRIMDy0eA3oYgA

That's the current status of this build. Thanks for looking! Comments are always welcome.

• Like 7