Grumman Cougar F9F-8B - Hasegawa 1/72

Another one from me, this time the vintage Hasegawa kit of the F9F-8 Cougar. This was an old boxing from Collectakit with knackered decals so I decided to find a Cougar in a scheme that I could paint myself and then use generic or home printed decals for the markings.

50128821583_2c0a115f40_o.jpgcoug8 

Kit is fairly simple but very easy to put together as you would expect from 80s era Hasegawa. I needed a blob of Milliput to round off the nosecone as the kit one has an indentation to fit a nose probe. The Hase kit of the Grumman Panther has rather over-prominent cannon barrels in the nose - for the Cougar they went the other way and there is no sign of any barrel at all so I filled the blast troughs with some stretched sprue.

50129609242_973c8f51a5_o.jpgcoug5 

There is a very good photo of this VF-94 aircraft in the Naval Fighters volume of the Cougar and the masking required is relatively simple to pull off! this sheme Note the codes are squared off at 45 degrees rather than 60 degrees as you would normally expect to find on USN aircraft. Paint was Gunze LGG over white, Gunze Insignia Red for the colourful bits, with the walkways sprayed in Xtracrylix Dark Gull Grey.

50128821568_098afbe717_o.jpgcoug10 

Hope you like!!

50128821643_d57929aaa6_o.jpgcoug3 

50128821508_4a36bd3da6_o.jpgcoug12 

Pat

50129389091_dcbe7e0784_o.jpgcoug7 

With older sibling

50129611892_14c7062320_o.jpgcoug2 

3 Grumman Fast Cats!!

50128824668_ddb21c7c52_o.jpgcoug1 

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 42

Lovely Cougar, nice setting and effective photography. The Cougar may not be as attractive as the Hunter, but it's a good looking airplane nonetheless. Personally, I think the -6 Cougar is better looking than the -8. Your Grumman trio is quite well done too.

• Like 1

Really lovely build and I like the other two as well.

The type is not that familiar to me, but she looks a fine tribute to the golden era of United States military (jet) aviation.

👍👍

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

lovely Cougar and great trio.

Amazingly today I was going through the Walk Around on the Cougar, with a view to build the Hasegawa kit that I have had in my stash since the early eighties... That long already?!

It is a lovely kit and even today it does not look bad at all. 

I love your build!

Congrats.

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

I like the model a lot, but I just love the group pic of those three fast cats together. 😀 Very well done indeed! :clap2:

I had better crack on with the Hasegawa F-14A to join the pride! It has more bits than the other three put together though!

• Like 2