Tamiya 1/48 Elefant

Hi,

This is one of my recent builds...the Tamiya 1/48 Elefant. Really nice kit to build. I used the Tamiya self adhesive zimmerit sheets which are an improvement on what I could probably achieve freehand! Finished with vallejo paints, oils and pigments.

IMG_2734

IMG_2729

IMG_2735

IMG_2717

IMG_2732

IMG_2737

IMG_2720

• Like 25

Thanks guys for all your kind comments...it's very much appreciated. 

Yes, ijs302, I certainly recommend the kit. An interesting subject that will stand out in your collection. I hope Tamiya release the Nashorn in the 1/48 series. 

Best Wishes

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2020 at 8:20 AM, gmoss said:

Wow, that's a first class weathering job Stuart.  Very nice indeed.

Hi Stuart

I'll be starting on the same kit soon and was wondering how you found the zimmerit?  I've read mixed reviews about the Tamiya self-adhesive zimmerit. 

Did it self-adhere ok? Or did you need to glue it? 

8 hours ago, gmoss said:

Hi Stuart

I'll be starting on the same kit soon and was wondering how you found the zimmerit?  I've read mixed reviews about the Tamiya self-adhesive zimmerit. 

Did it self-adhere ok? Or did you need to glue it? 

Hi Gmoss,

This was my first attempt at Zimmerit so I didn't really know any different and had nothing to compare it with. The sheets seemed OK though you can start to see the edges especially where a vertical surface meets a horizontal. They adhered quite well though I think I had to superglue a few edges. They didn't lift up throughout any of the weathering techniques. If you're going for a light weathering finish then may be difficult to hide the joins??

I've seen photo-etch zimmerit but I'm not sure that will look very good and a hot instrument would be difficult in this scale.

I have a Panzer IV on the horizon and I think I will use the putty and tool method as advised by Nightshift. Apparently the Trumpeter tool comes with a 1/48 fitting:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-09916-tools-zimmerit-coat--218711

Best Wishes

Stuart

11 hours ago, StuartH said:

Hi Gmoss,

This was my first attempt at Zimmerit so I didn't really know any different and had nothing to compare it with. The sheets seemed OK though you can start to see the edges especially where a vertical surface meets a horizontal. They adhered quite well though I think I had to superglue a few edges. They didn't lift up throughout any of the weathering techniques. If you're going for a light weathering finish then may be difficult to hide the joins??

I've seen photo-etch zimmerit but I'm not sure that will look very good and a hot instrument would be difficult in this scale.

I have a Panzer IV on the horizon and I think I will use the putty and tool method as advised by Nightshift. Apparently the Trumpeter tool comes with a 1/48 fitting:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-09916-tools-zimmerit-coat--218711

Best Wishes

Stuart

Thanks Stuart - really appreciate that.

Cheers,

Greg