1/72 Airfix McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1

I think I’ve finally finished this one.

My wife bought it for my birthday as I’d always wanted a Phantom but never got one.

After I’d done my quick build on a Novo Hunter, I started on this - for some reason with some trepidation - maybe because of kit reviews on YouTube🤨

I found it a long but pleasurable build but had a couple of hiccups along the way - the worst being when I placed the tail fin insignia decal on the right side. I’d already placed the left one which was fine. However, a neighbour knocked on the door as I was placing the right one and in my hurry, I placed it against the forward of the two panel lines instead of the second one. Unfortunately I didn’t notice this until the following morning well after the Micro Sol had done its work. It laid down great - just in the wrong position. I either live with it or remedy it. 
I tried to peel it off using Sellotape and packing tape but it stuck fast and refused to move. 
No problem, it thought, I’ll photograph it, paint over it and print a replacement. I wish I’d left it as it was now😒 as it’s far from perfect. I’ll try to remedy the remedial work!?!

Any way on to the rest of the 260 odd decals - I think my sanity has returned to normal now - please just don’t mention Phantom Decals!
Two crew added from my stash of spares.

A couple of touch ups and here we are!

A phantom from No 767 Naval Air Squadron, Royal Naval Air Squadron Yeovilton, Somerset, England, 1971.

I chose this aircraft as I’d found a picture on Flickr. The owner - David Whitworth - has kindly consented use of this picture.

Ifzhg6G.jpg

2B2KKlq.jpg

XJzI8sL.jpg
Pofz2PL.jpg

kFagfrT.jpg

2ohIT7J.jpg

5cFcSPA.jpg

8UcWDME.jpg

The wing mounted fuel tanks are not glued in as I can’t make up my mind if it looks better with or without.

• Like 54

That's a cracking build of the Airfix new tool,lovely crisp finish and I'll just get my usual comment in "The best scheme the Phantom ever wore" !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ooooh I want one. Tanks on I think, 'tooms are one of the few aircraft that look best bombed up IMO.

Too late now but I have been able to soak off a microsoled decal, just takes days with steady gentle edge rubbing using a brush. Probably depends on the properties of the paint underneath. Maybe somebody building a different scheme can donate a decal?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Ooooh I want one. Tanks on I think, 'tooms are one of the few aircraft that look best bombed up IMO.

Too late now but I have been able to soak off a microsoled decal, just takes days with steady gentle edge rubbing using a brush. Probably depends on the properties of the paint underneath. Maybe somebody building a different scheme can donate a decal?

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Its painted with Tamiya acrylic which can be carefully rubbed off with a cotton bud and airbrush cleaner. Fortunately that’s the only decal on that side of the fin in that area.
Also just noticed I’ve knocked the pitot tubes off again so will be replacing them with wire.

If worst comes to the worst, I could always buy another decal sheet from Airfix.

My decal rescues were off enamels, acrylics being more plastic might be more melted to the decal.

If you plan on removing the paint over the decal, airbrush cleaner might be a bit strong - try any supermarket all-purpose cleaner, they take off Tamiya acrylic perfectly and wont damage anything else. I use Tesco Everyday All-purpose Cleaner and soak for about 12 hours to clean old acrylic paint jars, but I notice its not currently available 😞

A radical plan could be soak the entire tail in such cleaner - hopefully the decals will float right off, then just repaint and re-apply. Or maybe it will all be a disaster!

• Like 1

The Yellow Bird Phantom is my favourite and yours looks great. I have lost count of the times I have screwed up a critical decal and had to buy replacements so you’re in good company!! I’m pretty sure I have a spare yellow bird if you are really stuck.

Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

There’s one of these in the for sale board I’ve been umming and ahing about. Should I? Lovely job.

Now I’ve built one, I wouldn’t hesitate on another.

This kit was purchased from G-Force Models - I bid for 3 on eBay and got outbid on each one - I finally purchased this one cheaper in the end.

SJiIUzU.jpg

I cant find this kit one their website at the moment, but they do have this version 

YvgvOAI.png

2 hours ago, Pat C said:

The Yellow Bird Phantom is my favourite and yours looks great. I have lost count of the times I have screwed up a critical decal and had to buy replacements so you’re in good company!! I’m pretty sure I have a spare yellow bird if you are really stuck.

Pat

Thank you very much for the offer - I’ll bear that in mind.

Fixing the ‘fix’ - stage one: 

I used TallBlondJohn’s suggestions with the Microsol. It worked a treat on the printed decals and then on the original decal which pulled some paint with it (although I did use a toothpick to scape it off). The toothpick also removed the Tamiya paint quite well. I then sanded the area with 2500 wet and dry. The crack in the rudder by the VL is where I sneezed during the build and dropped it. The Phantom fell tail first and hit the edge of the table before landing in my lap. I reckon if I’d been sat a couple of inches further back it would have missed the table🙄

k0ID3HY.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
Misspelling
  • Like 2

Well, I repainted the tail fin..........

It went ok until I pulled the masking off even though I de-tacked it. The paint was fine but the VL came away with the tape🤨

0xH7a1o.jpg

fyppnCc.jpg
Looks like I’ll have to get creative...

• Sad 2

You can get generic white British letter decals from Hannants to sort out the “VL”. One thing I have learned through much practice is that there is no modelling disaster that cannot be fixed!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Maybe the VL will soak off the tape? We need something that will go after the glue but not the decal :hmmm:

That’s a thought....

I’ll try soaking it in some very warm water to see if the tape gives the decal up.

Thanks for your input

Tried it. Didn’t work. Decal sadly ruined in the attempt. Oh well........

Edited by Brigbeale

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

There is always these if you need a replacement yellow bird, cheap enough too though I can't see if it includes the VL lettering, Modelcal were notorious for encouraging you to buy other of their sheets to complete the picture as it were.

Steve.

That’s torn it!!

Now I’m going to have to build another Phantom from the same squadron......🤪

IahQHPT.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
Photo added
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Maybe I need a set of those too after seeing that, cool photo. That scheme just does look so good.

Steve.

I did a search for images of XT868. I found at least 6 other aircraft from the same squadron.

Devil in me says yes. -  wife says NO!!!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TonyOD said:

There’s one of these in the for sale board I’ve been umming and ahing about. Should I? Lovely job.

At that price, it’s a very good bargain!!!