Fighting Them on the Beaches - Miles Magister "Maggie-bomber"

Well bombies are loaded now.  They look rather aggressive with their yellow tails.  Like a swarm of hornets ready to fall on someone's head.  

I notice overscale Hugo Sperle is suddenly nowhere to be seen...

0p2ocEz.jpg

Also put the glazing on today which is a major landmark. I used thinned down PVA that was mixed with water. However this time I added a minute quantity of dishwashing liquid to break down the surface tension and let it flow better. It seemed to work really well and didn't interfere with the adhesion of the glue.

yTPJK0E.jpg

The spinner hub got a coat of etch primer and a top coat of Mr Metal Color "Alminume" (sorry Cookenbacher!) which pretty much leaves just the blind flying hood and a couple of other little details to go.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

More superlative work! 

The dishwashing tip I have to try. I like using watered PVA myself, and that is maybe what can convince it to be used with a syringe. Normally the tension makes it come out as large droplets.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:47 AM, Torbjorn said:

You must have bigger matches in Britain. My eyes hurt just looking at those little bombies.

On 8/29/2020 at 11:46 PM, Max Headroom said:

I’m convinced that’s 1/48 and you’ve got an outsize matchbox!

It's the only possible explanation.

That's just fantastic.

• 1 month later...

"I don’t ever remember being terribly worried"

Corporal Claire Legge, WAAF

Well, it wouldn't be the Battle of Britain if it wasn't a close run thing.  I finally got the little fellow finished off today.  Just in the nick of time too!   :)

The blind flying hood was really giving me the willies and I did about four or five variations on it before settling on the one below.  It is made from 3 hoops of fine wire that are soldered together.  Then some thickish Mr Colour primer was brushed on to fill the gaps and create the webbed look as it shrunk and dried.  This was painted in a mix of canvas and sail colours, then added to the rear cockpit with a tiny amount of thinned down PVA.  Tiny little pieces of black sprue were also attached afterwards to represent the hinge mechanism.

So there we go.  All I need to do now is juggle some things around in my tiny cabinet of 1/144 aircraft so I can put this one to bed.   I'll add some more pics to the RFI thread as well.   Thanks so much for following along.  I hope you like it!

LpDPArB.jpg

YGaV7Ll.jpg

• Like 14

21 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

This is a truely exceptional bit of modelling. Where did you get the plans? 

Thanks everyone!  I'm glad I got it finished off in time :)

Outcastjoel, you can find the drawings in the Magister book by +4 Publications.  I've added a link below.  Cheers!

http://www.4pluspublications.com/en/publications/12-miles-magister

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Simply amazing!

I am a great fan of 1/144 and have built a few. I agree with your comments back in August regarding some of the latest kits in this scale, especially those from Eduard - little masterpieces. Scratch building in this scale is an awesome feat, and you have shown how to do it the proper way! One of my stalled projects (currently on the shelf) is a 1/144 conversion of an Eduard Mig-21 SMT into a Mig-21 UM two seat trainer, aided by a Retro Wings conversion set - I thought that was a challenge! Having now seen what a can be done, I'm re-energised to get that one finished.

Thanks for a delightful and very educational thread.

Terry

• Like 1

What an exemplary display of modelling skill. It's just too stunning for words and the outcome, a beautiful work of art. 

Thank you for sharing the progress of your wonderful little Maggie along the way. 

I'm off now to look at my workbench and cry! 

• Like 1