Shortage of Tamiya paints worldwide soon?

GerryW

Good grief! I must be classified as a hoarder, as I have something like 1,000 tins and bottles of paint. And some of them are older than some members on here. As well as the Humbrol Authentic range, I have quite a few tins of Gloy, Revell and Compucolours. Then there are the Tamiya bottles, Life Colour and of course the more recent acquisitions such as Vallejo, MIG, AK etc. So, I don't think that I'm going to rush out and stock up, any time soon (even if there was such a thing as a model shop anywhere near me).

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was in Space Craft Models in Dundee a couple of weeks ago and they had just had a Tamiya delivery so I stocked up on my Tamiya needs blissfully unaware that there was a looming shortage. Personally I'd be more worried by a shortage of Tamiya masking tape than their paint. Other paint brands are available but I've never found anything to compare with Tamiya tape.

On 7/19/2020 at 2:10 PM, Trenton guy said:

Amen

On 7/19/2020 at 2:21 PM, SAT69 said:

And I'll add another AMEN to that!

On 7/19/2020 at 2:26 PM, Tiger331 said:

Yep...........add another AMEN to that

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can I join the Chorus ... AMEN ! 

Is this the Amen Corner?

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Is this the Amen Corner?

Only if paradise is half as nice..............:P

Dick

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Went to Going Loco at Outwood between Leeds and Wakefield and they had obviously just had a restock of Tamiya products as they had far more when I went in just after they reopened. I do not need to hoard paint as I have gallons of the stuff. 

• Like 1

Wonderland models are advertising big stock clearance on all Tamiya kits and paints just got the newsletter today  🤔

There will be a slight backlog of shipping with Japan having just been in lockdown we are having supply problems in the automotive sector

Sounds like someone is just setting off the panic button.

• Like 2

• Mike changed the title to Shortage of Tamiya paints worldwide soon?

I can't help thinking this is vapour-shortage, so I've added a question mark to the title.  I think it's probably bunk, but then what do I know?  I'll not be topping up my supplies, mainly as I barely use the ones I have, but also because I have in excess of 1,000 paints of various brands already :shrug:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Well I was going to play it safe and stock up just in case but I don’t have room for more paint. The space is all taken up with toilet rolls everywhere 

John, you'll need the toilet roll to mop up any paint spills.  :whistle:

Dick

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

Well I was going to play it safe and stock up just in case but I don’t have room for more paint. The space is all taken up with toilet rolls everywhere 

ach, you're no thinkin

Tamiya bottles fit doon the centre of the terlot rools. Ye can get 3 stacked doon there maun

• Haha 7

In 2015 as part of an effort to support my 2 local hobby shops I started buying jars of Tamiya paint, bottles of glue, Vallejo, AK and Ammo products. I would pick up 7 to 10 or so every couple weeks. Stored in airtight containers...

I retired at the end of 2019, so my secondary goal was to have a ready stock of supplies so I would be able to keep building from the stash without or minimal spending of pension dollars on the hobby.

Along with this, I have been using hardware store aerosol cans...like Rustoleum and Krylon for blacks, aluminum, primer, white, clear flat...when I am too lazy to use the airbrush...

so I am ok for now...probably for a few years...📅

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike said:

... I'll not be topping up my supplies, mainly as I barely use the ones I have, but also because I have in excess of 1,000 paints of various brands already :shrug:

We know who has the paint

8 hours ago, JohnT said:

And the TP.

2 hours ago, TheOxley said:

I retired at the end of 2019, so my secondary goal was to have a ready stock of supplies so I would be able to keep building from the stash without or minimal spending of pension dollars on the hobby

so I am ok for now...probably for a few years...📅

That's been my excuse to the wife about my stash for the last 30years!

She pointed out "you can't afford to retire because of my spending on said stash"!

Also, when I do retire my build rate is such that I'll need to live till I'm about 250 years old!

Rick.

• Haha 5

Some Tamiya items always seem to be a little limited in the supply stream here in the states.  Yellow cap lacquer thinner in particular has been a little tough for me to get a hold of for a while.  I ended up having to resort to ebay on my initial order when none of my normal supply channels had any available.  My main online supplier (local shop has still been unable to get a hold of any) actually had some in stock during my last order so I snagged a couple (down to about 1/4 bottle on the open one) so I don't get left high n' dry.

.....damn it.  Now I need to throw on some Def Leppard.  :lol:

But I certainly won't be panicking yet.....I'm not fully committed as I've just begun the slow transition from Testors MM to Tamiya as the old paint needs replenishment.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Actually there does appear to be a worldwide shortage of Tamiya paints, at least acrylics.  Very hard to find stock in Australia at the moment.  Completely unable to find any XF-63 German Grey and many others.  Shelves seem to be always empty, even online.

Looks like COVID has been a boon to modeling...

https://tamiyablog.com/2020/12/popular-plastic-model-due-to-nesting-chairman-shunsaku-tamiya-speaks-of-worldwide-shortage/