Shortage of Tamiya paints worldwide soon?

GerryW

This has nothing to do with new kit news/dreams/nightmares, but I really don't know where else to post. :unsure:  If it's in the wrong place then please feel free to move it. 

I was watching a video on YouTube posted by Andy Klein on his Andy's Hobby Headquarters channel. In it he says that he has been informed by Tamiya that they are expecting a worldwide shortage of their paint products shortly due to demand and production issues. Maybe this would be a good time for members to check their paint stash and stock up if required.

Gerry

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Interesting that you pass that on, as I visited hobbycraft near me last meek and their Tamiya paint racks were very thin.

They also didn't have a lot of kits of any brand but I was surprised to see how little Tamiya paint they had.

• Sad 1

Toilet rolls indeed. Though after the worldwide toilet roll panic and having all seen how it exposed the worst in some people (hoarding ridiculous amounts) - this news about Tamiya doesn't sit well with me at all. 

Toilet rolls are back in stock now. Tamiya's is probably just a relatively small and temporary hitch in production.

Jay

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

.. (hoarding ridiculous amounts)... 

Which of us modellers can cast the first stone?

There are 2 sides to the equation, supply and demand.  Visiting Trago Mills in Newton Abbot recently, it seemed to me the model shelves had been stripped bare apart from the most expensive kits.  I put that down to increased demand for things to occupy children and partners during lockdown.  Maybe I'm an optimist after all: scary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, B.sin said:

Maybe it's time for testers to wake up, and reissued their model master line!

Yep...........add another AMEN to that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B.sin said:

Maybe it's time for testers to wake up, and reissued their model master line!

Never got the chance to use them. I assume they were pretty good then? (were they enamel, acrylic or both)

Steve

I'd imagine that if there's a shortage at all (you know how some people just love to spread rumours & lies), it would more likely be because of their excellent distribution network getting their paints into many shops, and if they're available the increase in demand for models will also bring an increase in demand for paint.  Then we have the shipping delays that have been plaguing the world, plus the increased demand for IPA, which I think may be one of the components of Tamiya paints - I might be wrong on that one.  I wouldn't go panic buying anything, as there are plenty of brands available, but if you succumb to the fear-mongering, you'll be the cause of a shortage yourself.

Let us be calm and not behave like headless chickens because the sky's falling in. :) I know that'll fall on some deaf ears, but do try not to be one of the muppets ;) 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Sad if true.

On my territory, problems with Tamiya began back in 2011-2012, which was due to the fact that the local seller gave more priority to products Gunze, Vallejo and little Humbrol. 

Other distributor sale Revell, but on big price.

Therefore on combined in terms of quality, price, storage ability without significant loss of characteristics for me Tamiya is in the first place.

Without Tamiya glue it's a disaster.

B.R.

Serge 

Good job I found that complete set of Tamiya acrylics (including rattle cans) gathering dust in a moving box a few weeks back and I'm glad I just managed to land a full set of the Tamiya Panel Accent colours including a spare Black. 

Our local Hobbycraft (Milton Keynes) had a few paints but stacks of kits, mostly over priced!

if you succumb to the fear-mongering, you'll be the cause of a shortage yourself

Amen to that.  Don't go selfishly panic buying.

As for Andy Klein...

I like some of his build videos, but...

He was pretty much claiming the sky was falling in when the hassle over what is and isn't aimed at children on YouTube started, to my knowledge nothing came of that little drama...

When the US Shelter In Place orders started being issued, he stated on video, on YouTube, that he was still opening his shop.  Which meant he'd be travelling to/from his home/shop whilst a Shelter In Place order was in effect where he is in the US (Arizona?).  When how selfish his planned actions were was pointed out to him, he quickly retracted the video, presumably reshot or edited it, and uploaded a new video, almost the same, but omitting the fact that he was opening his shop up still.

I wouldn't take anything he says as even remotely gospel.  Especially as he's a shop owner who, appears to get freebies and early releases from Tamiya, stocks Tamiya, and is probably trying to drum up business for himself.

47 minutes ago, PatW said:

Our local Hobbycraft (Milton Keynes) had a few paints but stacks of kits, mostly over priced!

I recall reading a while back that Hobbycraft were scaling back on their model stuff, including Tamiya paints.  Can't recall where I read it or what the source was though, but looking on their website it seems rather bereft of Tamiya paints.

Edited to clarify wording.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, PatW said:

That sounds like normal  pre-lockdown Hobbycraft then....  :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can I join the Chorus ... AMEN ! 

You most certainly can!  🙂

• Like 1