Hobby Boss UH-34A ** FINISHED **

I'm really liking the look of this, I can recall something like this on the deck of a US icebreaker in port (Lyttleton) near Christchurch when I was young. I've long been a fan of the S-58 shape & think this is a super scheme. I can feel a plan forming. :D

Steve.

• Like 2

Thanks Steve!

Unfortunately I have met with disaster in the form of the Print Scale decals. Seriously, I have never seen such worthless sh*te before. The very first one curled up into a ball the moment I lifted it out of the water. I tried several more, and they are very prone to coming off the paper only partially, and then when you wet them a bit more and slide them off they instantly curl up - behind themselves to be sure, so you can't even fix that with a bit of soft brushing. Then when I actually managed to get some onto the model they don't stay straight, the letters NAVY wobbled and attempts to straighten them out only caused them to ripple and curl up once again. Hopeless.

What a trash. The entire sheet went straight into the bin. I then rubbed off the few that I managed to get on which caused a small scar in the paint, but that can probably be fixed.

I now need to calm down first and consider the options. One is to get the Antarctic Helicopters sheet from Max Decals. Does anyone know if those are any good? The good thing is that they offer an AH-34 in the same orange scheme as mine. The bad thing is that they are on backorder with 'H' right now. I might be able to find them somewhere else.

The other option is to revert back to one of the kit options and re-spray the model. I would need to find the right shade of dark blue ('Navy Blue'), does anyone perhaps have a Vallejo reference (or some other acrylic) for that?

Edited by Jur
  • Sad 6

Thank you. I'm not a happy bunny right now, but I'm sure I can come up with something to salvage the situation.

In the meantime I might just start something else to take my mind off it.

Ouch! I feel your pain having had a disaster a couple of days ago on a model I’m doing.

Just a thought. If there are no specific markings needed for your Seabat (I really wanted to type Wessex!), would you be better investing in generic marking sheets? If you plan more USN types, then sheets of letters and numbers and stars and bars could be an option?

Chin up.

Trevor

• Like 1

I'm really sorry to hear about your decal problems Jur, I seem to be the only one who has ever got Print Scale decals to work!

If Hannants don't have the Max decals sheet then you can order from them directly and I believe the sheet is in stock, and it has some cracking schemes on it. If you don't want to order the sheet from them then drop me a line as I have a copy and might be able to spare one of the H-34 options on it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your support guys. It's a shame because I felt I was on to a good one here and had hoped to finish it this weekend. Still, there are various ways out of this and your comments have helped. I found the Max decals website and ordered the Antarctic choppers, there are two on there that have the same overall orange scheme so hopefully that will keep me on track. I wasn't wedded to the particular helicopter on the Print Scale sheet although I did find some cracking photos of it online to help and motivate me.

Many thanks MM for offering me some of your sheet, that is very generous of you. I am hoping that the decals are indeed in stock and can be delivered soon, and that they are easier to work with. If not, I might get back to you!

I looked at generic US Navy sheets and there are some out there, but I would need quite a collection to give me everything I need, and I don't have any further US Navy kits in my stash, so there would be an awful lot of waste. If I can't get the Max Decal sheet it probably would make more sense to re-spray and go for one of the box schemes. That is the last resort though - I really like the orange!

• Like 2

Jur, very sorry about your decal problems. But you are not the first who tells that about Print&Scale. If you want to stick with an orange HT-8 trainer, maybe somebody could share with you the decal sheet of Italeri‘s current Seabat issue:

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2695/2/7

I have two kits of them but I will again have access to them maybe in a couple of weeks. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jur said:

If I can't get the Max Decal sheet it probably would make more sense to re-spray and go for one of the box schemes.

Can't have that I'm afraid, if you can't get them direct from Max Decals then I will send you one of the options from my sheet.

Can't have that lovely orange paint removed!

• Thanks 1

Some good news, I just got an email from Joe Maxwell that he is on annual leave but the decal sheet will be posted to me on August 10th. So hopefully I can pick up this build again shortly after.

How are people's experiences with his decals? How do they compare to, say, Airfix on the one hand and Xtradecals on the other?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jur said:

Some good news, I just got an email from Joe Maxwell that he is on annual leave but the decal sheet will be posted to me on August 10th. So hopefully I can pick up this build again shortly after.

How are people's experiences with his decals? How do they compare to, say, Airfix on the one hand and Xtradecals on the other?

That is excellent news! And good customer service on his part too.

Not actually used his decals yet but I believe they have a decent reputation, a lot better than Print Scales anyway! When you get your sheet I believe the UH-34 you are able to build from it is the Kingpin one with the Penguin artwork as it has the single leg main undercarriage and single exhaust outlet that the HobbyBoss kit come with.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 15:51, Jur said:

You guys are probably rolling on the floor now, having tricked a noob to fall for this :D

Definitely! 😹 This painting scheme misses a violet dots.

Excellent progress on the kit and great painting job. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't forgotten about this one, hopefully today the new decals will be posted to me!

In the meantime I gave it a fairly subtle wash with thinned oil paint. It deepens the colour a bit and helps details to stand out.

IMG-20200810-101736.jpg

You can still see the scratch on the forward part of the tail but I'm hoping that this will be less visible once the decals are on.

IMG-20200810-101753.jpg

• Like 11

Yay! Progress at last:

The Max Decals arrived today, and jolly fine decals they are too! None of the problems that I had with the Print Scale ones. They are a bit thicker and behave themselves properly when you put them onto the model. So here is where we are now:

IMG-20200817-143358.jpg

IMG-20200817-143408.jpg

I put Microsol on them and will let that dry till tomorrow, then I'll give it a coat of semi-gloss varnish. Matt will look too dull I think. After that just some bits and bobs to add, a bit of panel line wash, and we might see a completed heli :)

• Like 11

Wow, I really like that. I've also bought some of those Max decals to do this, though I've run into a problem with post from Ireland to New Zealand, but will get it sent to a mate in the UK who can forward it to me.

Steve.

• Thanks 1