Hobby Boss UH-34A ** FINISHED **

Thanks guys!

I finalised the cockpit, blasted some matt black on the intake grilles (I have masks for those too :) ) and some matt varnish on the insides. Peeled off the inside masks, fitted the seats and then glued the fuselage halves together.

IMG-20200725-155320.jpg

IMG-20200725-161717.jpg

Now, what did I forget? Nothing, I think! The masks you still see are on the outside :)

In the end I approached the instrument panels like this: the ones with raised detail I painted black and then gently rubbed off the paint again to make the instruments visible. The pathetic  main panel (no detail and no decal either!) I decorated with tiny (and I mean tiny) squares of black electric tape on a grey background. Ok at this level of magnification you can tell that they were stuck on individually (and mighty fun it was!). From any other distance I hope it creates the right impression.

IMG-20200725-161642.jpg

Seat belt imitations are painted masking tape. Easier than trying to accurately paint the molded on ones.

IMG-20200725-162259.jpg

Next up is masking the grilles and sanding down the seams. The fit is ok, perhaps a little bit of filler required. Only the separate bottom panel isn't a great fit but fortunately that sits on the bottom (ha!) so it has a lower priority (for me).

Edited by Jur
  • Like 7

Bit more progress today, some filling and sanding (not a lot was needed), masking the grilles and adding a rotor brake to the cockpit. This is actually the rear end of the cabin gun which I don't need.

IMG-20200726-174329.jpg

IMG-20200726-174342.jpg

I think next up is to fit the canopy, plug the cabin door with something suitable, and then a coat of interior grey over the canopy followed by an overall coat of primer.

A couple of questions, would white primer be the best choice for the orange top coat?

There are some bits and pieces to add to the fuselage, such as the undercarriage struts, the winch and some more bits and bobs. All that will be orange as well. Is it better to add these things now and take them all along in the painting, or better to leave them off for a better 'field of spray' and glue them on afterwards? What do people do?

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Jur said:

There are some bits and pieces to add to the fuselage, such as the undercarriage struts, the winch and some more bits and bobs. All that will be orange as well. Is it better to add these things now and take them all along in the painting, or better to leave them off for a better 'field of spray' and glue them on afterwards? What do people do?

I would paint things like the winch assembly separately and add after painting.  I have put the undercarriage legs on my Wessex as it gives the model something to sit on, but most of the other bits and bobs will go after paint and decals. HTH.

AW

• Thanks 1

Pink primer! Last time I checked my inventory I had just ran out :)

I presume I could just use white and add a few drops of red paint to it?

I have fitted the canopy and gave it a coat of interior grey. I did add most of the bits and bobs after all, except for the winch that might get in the way. Just filled a few tiny gaps around the canopy and tomorrow I can hopefully paint it pink!

IMG-20200727-165006.jpg

• Like 3

Excuse the thread hijack,

For all the non believers 

BC9B7D30-2003-4F91-B9FA-865BD74A9DE7 65FA2732-6087-427B-9B8D-2B6F4F11682F

For the brightest of reds, oranges and yellows, prime with primer of pink. 

“Pink be the word Brother”

Normal service will now resume. That’s a great looking chopper. Love the build. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Does the pink cause the dimensions of the model to morph into something out of a nightmare? In that case I will reconsider!

• Haha 1

Is that the sound of rotors approaching?

No, it is the sound of Igor Sikorsky spinning in his grave!

IMG-20200728-132430.jpg

You guys are probably rolling on the floor now, having tricked a noob to fall for this :D

Next up is the yellow tail band.

Edited by Jur
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Me like :):

IMG-20200729-133704.jpg

I confess I was a bit worried about this step, but I have to say that this particular Vallejo Game Air colour went on very well. I may give it another light coat when I spray the other side of the tail plane/stabiliser/whatsit, but I'm not even sure it needs it.

Then I need to let it thoroughly dry to mask off for the black walkway on the spine.

Edited by Jur
  • Like 8

They asked for orange, so orange is what they'll get!

147171-UH-34-D-Seahorse-USN-HT-8-Tom-Bai

(Picture from http://www.dhc-2.com/Monthan_Memories.html)

Thank you for the compliments. We're not there yet, plenty still that could go wrong, but so far I'm happy.

By the way, how many numbers could you possibly need on one helicopter???

Edited by Jur
  • Like 6

No pictures today but there is progress behind the scenes - after 2 days of drying time I brush painted some details and masked everything except the walkway and sprayed that black (there are decals for it but I think this will look better). Then, a coat of gloss varnish which is drying right now. One day I will try spraying Pledge but I'm really not sure what it will do to my model or to my airbrush, so I stuck with Vallejo varnish for now.

So now I want to give it some weathering/tone down the brightness/bring out the panels, and I have a few options. One is to brush diluted red/brown oil paint all over it and wipe that off again. I have tested that once on a different model (a ship model to be precise) but I do need to test it again before I dare doing that. The other option is using a wash of some AK stuff I found in my local shop this afternoon. It is called "Brown Streaking Grime for Red Hulls (Naval)" - sounds OK for an orange Navy helicopter :D  This stuff is enamel based so I must make sure it won't attack my Acrylic varnish, and that I can wipe most of it off again using white spirit or the like.

I am going to test this out on the sorry remains of a Blenheim mule (don't ask) that I sprayed orange and varnished as well. So, back to the laboratory, Igor!

Edited by Jur
  • Like 2