1/72 Airfix Lancaster B1 (FE)

Time for the confession - I finished this model weeks ago but forgot to post an RFI... :blush:

The build thread is here if you want to see it all come together. It was a great kit, very well designed with plenty of detail. Here are the photos of the finished build:

rfi1.jpg

rfi2.jpg

rfi3.jpg

rfi4.jpg

rfi5.jpg

rfi6.jpg

rfi7.jpg

rfi8.jpg

My only issue with this kit was my masking on the canopy. Some liquid mask seeped through a gap and ended up under the canopy; despite my best efforts, I cannot remove the canopy to remove the mask... This canopy is glued on too well! Apart from that I'm happy with the finish. I particularly enjoyed getting to grips with an airbrush and working on the exhaust staining.

Any comments and critique welcome!

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

Looking good, I always dread doing large white or black camo schemes, you have seemed to have nailed this one. Weathering is restrained but effective.

Matt

• Like 1

That looks beautiful. The reflections on the base open the whole plane up somehow. 

The glazing looks really good to me. Nice to see a light colour scheme as well. 

A tiny critique, and one that I also fell for, the outer exhaust two stains run more under the wing than above. The upsweep of the wing accounts for that. If your references contradict this, please accept my apologies.

Tony.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Angell328 said:

Looking good, I always dread doing large white or black camo schemes, you have seemed to have nailed this one. Weathering is restrained but effective.

Thanks Matt!

21 hours ago, TonyW said:

A tiny critique, and one that I also fell for, the outer exhaust two stains run more under the wing than above. The upsweep of the wing accounts for that. If your references contradict this, please accept my apologies.

Hi Tony. No apologies required. I used the box artwork as my reference, so that was possibly not completely accurate!

20 hours ago, woody37 said:

That looks superb. Nice seeing a Lanc in something that isn’t Brown, green and black :)

Thanks Woody. I agree it makes a change from the usual Lanc colours!

20 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

Amazing quality on the build👏👏👏

Thank you. It was a very easy kit to build, definitely one I would recommend.

19 hours ago, RMCS said:

Stunning

18 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Definitely a well done model.

Thank you!

• Like 2

Magnificent!  I know I would approach an all-white scheme with great trepidation, but your weathering and shading really hits the mark.

Well done!  :clap2:

I cannot ever recall seeing a white Lancaster but now that I have, I find it very attractive.  I like how your`s turned out and with your review, I look forward to putting this kit together sooner rather than later.  Very nice!!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Very nice Lanc, and in a scheme that's not often seen and very hard to pull off, but you have managed it quite well. Re the outboard exhausts- you're not the only one who was unaware about their pattern; just thin out some white and lightly respray, if you've a mind to. Save that for your next Lanc, as I'd be afraid to mess up such a beautiful  job!

Mike

That is one hell of a puddle it is stood in .........................

Lovely job, and great to see a Lanc in the white scheme

regards, adey

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2020 at 03:48, Jeff G said:

So different! Really like this one, good work.

Thanks Jeff👍

On 20/07/2020 at 04:49, kapam said:

Magnificent!  I know I would approach an all-white scheme with great trepidation, but your weathering and shading really hits the mark.

Well done!  :clap2:

Thanks! It took a few coats of white to get the coverage...! The dark grey wash helped break it up without being too harsh.

On 20/07/2020 at 11:24, Sky Keg said:

I cannot ever recall seeing a white Lancaster but now that I have, I find it very attractive.  I like how your`s turned out and with your review, I look forward to putting this kit together sooner rather than later.  Very nice!!!!!! :goodjob:

Thanks Mike, it was a very straightforward kit and one I would recommend. I think white suits the Lanc!

On 20/07/2020 at 11:27, F-32 said:

Great work, you don't often see Lanc's in this scheme

Thank you. I thought it made a nice change from a camouflaged version!

On 20/07/2020 at 15:05, 72modeler said:

Very nice Lanc, and in a scheme that's not often seen and very hard to pull off, but you have managed it quite well. Re the outboard exhausts- you're not the only one who was unaware about their pattern; just thin out some white and lightly respray, if you've a mind to. Save that for your next Lanc, as I'd be afraid to mess up such a beautiful  job!

Cheers Mike. I’ll file that away for future reference - like you, I wouldn’t risk attempting it! 😁

On 20/07/2020 at 19:10, adey m said:

That is one hell of a puddle it is stood in .........................

Lovely job, and great to see a Lanc in the white scheme

Thanks Adey. It’s my special reflective table used for RFI’s! Glad you like the scheme.👍

18 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed and always good to see a Lanc in the FE scheme too.

Thanks Tony👍

15 hours ago, cngaero said:

It's great to see a Lancaster all dressed up in the Far East scheme. I can echo all of the comments above. That is a really good looking model. 

Thank you!

14 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish! May I ask what paints you used? 

Thanks very much. It was Humbrol enamel no. 34 (matt white) and Colourcoats matt black. The whole model then had a satin varnish, as the best approximation to the finish on the FE Lancasters.

• Thanks 1