Lockheed S-3B Viking

Now for something different :D

A grimy Viking in TPS. I threw in some eduard PE and a wolfpack cockpit....not that much shows, and Steel Beach FOD covers. In hindsight I should have used a different color on the FODs...the build is so grey that it almost looks like a monochrome picture :P some  RBF- tags would have liven it up a bit too.

Anyway, I'm happy with it and the editing of the pics was successful :)

Get ready for a picture avalanche:P

DSC_4585_zps7nkpau8b.jpg DSC_4587_zpsy6p0xywf.jpg DSC_4589_zpsjomlwzlw.jpg DSC_4592_zpsgicplsmj.jpg DSC_4594_zpsjdyewwdv.jpg DSC_4596_zpsof0iqkau.jpg DSC_4599_zpsxpmszh3g.jpg DSC_4601_zpsdb18dba2.jpg DSC_4603_zpsq85o8q0j.jpg DSC_4605_zpseixvipeq.jpg DSC_4607_zpswwngyz2r.jpg DSC_4609_zps16avkrnl.jpg DSC_4611_zpskd3b8tgn.jpg DSC_4613_zpsfxsuthzr.jpg DSC_4616_zpsj5bvdegn.jpg DSC_4618_zpsepz44fjw.jpg DSC_4621_zps4wfb5yti.jpg DSC_4623_zpsp9nqdwvi.jpg DSC_4625_zpstozd4vei.jpg DSC_4627_zpsuvczd4ke.jpg DSC_4629_zpsxiqaqzd0.jpg DSC_4631_zpsuvqm2agu.jpg DSC_4633_zpsu1khfnav.jpg DSC_4635_zps4k2nyqts.jpg DSC_4636_zpskvttyj9r.jpg DSC_4638_zpsro9flsy5.jpg DSC_4639_zpsrt6jjdmq.jpg DSC_4640_zpslgzozm75.jpg DSC_4642_zpsr19sgzuk.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 30

The weapons load on your model is unlike anything I've ever seen mounted on a Viking, so I went to the internet and started looking. I discovered the Viking is capable of carrying a wider variety of external arms than I realized, so I got an education out of seeing your model. Very nicely done though I'm inclined to wonder if they ever got that dirty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

The weapons load on your model is unlike anything I've ever seen mounted on a Viking, so I went to the internet and started looking. I discovered the Viking is capable of carrying a wider variety of external arms than I realized, so I got an education out of seeing your model. Very nicely done though I'm inclined to wonder if they ever got that dirty. 

Thanx SAT69 :D

Oooo, they could get plenty dirty.....even tho I admit I made it very dirty. To my defence though USS Kittyhawk wasn't an atomic carrier but an oil burning old barch :P

spacer.png

I would have wanted a buddy tanker pod but I couldn't find an aftermarket one though the LANTIRN recce pod was apparently an option. I never found a ref picture of Mk20s and a LANTIRN but from sources I found out that was a standard load out while hunting small rib-boats in the persian gulf.

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

I don’t know if they got that dirty but whether they did or didn’t, you’ve done a stunning job on the paintwork :)

Thanx woody :D

5 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thanx RMCS :D

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Aigore said:

I would have wanted a buddy tanker pod but I couldn't find an aftermarket one though the LANTIRN recce pod was apparently an option. I never found a ref picture of Mk20s and a LANTIRN but from sources I found out that was a standard load out while hunting small rib-boats in the persian gulf.

And I learned something again. I'm gettin' a heck of an edumacation here at BM.  😃

Super job on that Viking! I would say spot on for a bird that`s been on a cruise that lasted way too long.......

Using this as reference for my two Vikings, one S-3B and one ES-3A. Keep`em coming Aigore!

Really great model!

Monocrom?

There are some formation lights.... ;)

Really like your weathering!

I think the Lantirn/ more the Lightning pod only came very late in its career though...

When I first saw it, I thought ‘meh’ but as I looked closer,  was awestruck at the level of detail added to this kit.

Absolutely well done!!!

First class result!

14 hours ago, SAT69 said:

And I learned something again. I'm gettin' a heck of an edumacation here at BM.  😃

That is the fun when you research builds... information hunting about your subject is almost as fun as the build itself. Sometimes you run across some random snippet of information or picture that makes you want to build exactly that subject :D

7 hours ago, Iceman11 said:

Super job on that Viking! I would say spot on for a bird that`s been on a cruise that lasted way too long.......

Using this as reference for my two Vikings, one S-3B and one ES-3A. Keep`em coming Aigore!

Thanx Iceman :D

apparently jets don't look the same at the start of a cruise as at the end of one, especially on carriers with smoke stacks. Carrier jets exist in the whole scale of looking pristine, like the first cruise Tomcats of VF-1, to looking like they're ready for the scrap yard. TPS paint is similar to have glass, it is flat and contains ferrit as part of a radar absorbent coating and dirt gets worked into the surface and corrosion is dealt with darker or lighter paint than the base paint so when it is time for an overhaul you can spot the places. After a service the jet gets a new paintjob and looks pristine again. So jets in the same squadron can look like a kaleidoscope of different stages of ruin depending on when they've been overhauled.

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

Really great model!

Monocrom?

There are some formation lights.... ;)

Really like your weathering!

I think the Lantirn/ more the Lightning pod only came very late in its career though...

Thanx exdraken :D

I'm bad at remembering which pod is what so when I did searches I was very particular on what pod was loaded and I only got hits on LANTIRN.

The pods are really similar though the LANTIRN is slightly longer and has an angled scoop while the Litening has a straight edged scoop.

I call artistic licence.on when they used what :P

7 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

When I first saw it, I thought ‘meh’ but as I looked closer,  was awestruck at the level of detail added to this kit.

Absolutely well done!!!

First class result!

Thanx Brigbeale :D

Yes I added details to make it come alive, adding blade antennas and static dischargers really makes it come alive...as does the load out. I used eduard rocjeyes...theybare simply wonderful a d the LANTIRN I stole from a kinetic F-16 :P

4 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Your latest builds look great Jan :thumbsup:

Thanx Ray :D

4 hours ago, James G said:

Great job, love seeing a Viking!

Thanx James :D

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Looks a stunner Jan,not that often we see any kind of Viking dirty or clean but that's a cut above!

Thanx Steve :D

Vikings are butt ugly bug cool...they were retired too soon.

13 minutes ago, russ c said:

Really nice Viking, great job

Thanx Russ :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aigore said:

I'm bad at remembering which pod is what so when I did searches I was very particular on what pod was loaded and I only got hits on LANTIRN.

The pods are really similar though the LANTIRN is slightly longer and has an angled scoop while the Litening has a straight edged scoop.

I call artistic licence.on when they used what :P

Hu, sorry, you were totally right!

LANTIRN Targeting System (LTS) taken from the Tomcats were used on the S-3...

For whatever reason for me the Lantirn was always connected to the navigating pod as used on F-16 Bloci 40s and F-15Es...

My bad ;)

42 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Hu, sorry, you were totally right!

LANTIRN Targeting System (LTS) taken from the Tomcats were used on the S-3...

For whatever reason for me the Lantirn wasalways cinnected to the navigating pod as used on F-16 Bloci 40s and F-15Es...

My bad ;)

It's hell to keep track of tracking pods.... :P

• Haha 1

Nice looking bird, excellent choice on the Squadron. Yes, our aircraft did get this dirty, more from

grubby hands and boots, leaky fluid and such. The more spotty and patchy the TPS finish, the more you knew your corrosion control folks were doing their job. 

Cheers

Collin

6 hours ago, Collin said:

Nice looking bird, excellent choice on the Squadron. Yes, our aircraft did get this dirty, more from

grubby hands and boots, leaky fluid and such. The more spotty and patchy the TPS finish, the more you knew your corrosion control folks were doing their job. 

Cheers

Collin

Thanx Collin :D

So you're an ancient sub hunter, eh? With the VS-21?

Always nice to talk to ppl who actually used the things one builds :) Getting the inside story is always interesting.

4 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Absolutely super model. I think the weathering is very realistic

Andy

Thanx Andy :D

4 hours ago, jimmyg352 said:

Another fantastic production Jan! That is absolutely hacky. (hacky means 'dirty' in Northern English dialect) 

Brilliant job, well done again.

Thanx Jimmy :D

A Yorkshire man, eh,? :D

Man, oh, man, what a beautifully and realistically weathered Viking! The 'Hoover' could get really trashy after a long cruise, and I think you have nailed the finish; must have taken ages to do. Only one thing would make this build even better- done  as a VS-33 'World Famous Screwbirds' Viking;  I'm fairly sure they were used during the Gulf War and the squadron  decommissioned in 2006. See the link to a You Tube video of the decommissioning ceremony. I used to have a video done by one of the VS-33 members that showed the history and all the aircraft flown, beginning with S2F's, but it has been removed from the internet. 4.0 job there, mate!

Mike

http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VS/Sea-Control-Squadron-33.htm

4 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

This is the way a Viking should look after a long and grueling cruise.  I like this one!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thanx  Mike :D

indeed!

4 hours ago, F-32 said:

That is one old dirty bird!

Thanx F-32 :D

actually doesn't take that long for a navy jet to look this way...  

13 hours ago, Collin said:

VS-21 1995-1998, VX-1 1999-2001. Flew from both CV-62 and CV-63. 

Cheers

Collin

Wow, that's so cool! If you feel like sharing a story or two in this thread you are more than welcome to! :)