Academy 1/72 SB2C Helldiver

This is Academy's 1/72 scale SB2C Helldiver, from their `Operation Iceberg' special edition boxing (which included photoetch dive brakes and Cartograph decals).

The livery is that of a Helldiver from the USS Randolph, and was painted with AK Real Colors and Tamiya acrylics. There's some more photos here. Overall, the plastic matched previous experiences with Academy kits - well detailed and very good fit. The photoetched dive brakes weren't as painful to assemble as anticipated, and the Cartograph decals of course were top notch - for instance, white stripes on the vertical stabilizer (late war USN geometric markings for the USS Randolph) were from the decals, not painted. It was nice to not have to deal with Academy-printed decals...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png 

I also added an AN/APS-4 radar from the spares box (from a Cyber Hobby F6F-3 kit) since I found a photo of this specific Helldiver (or at least, one on the USS Randolph with suspiciously similar markings) with one of those hanging off the starboard wing.

lbFMmxl.jpg

lXqdNiO.jpg

• Like 32

Really nice work, I have the Special Hobby -5 version of this kit to do for the Vietnam GB, if mine comes out anywhere as near as good as yours I will be very pleased (and not to mention very surprised).

Very well done.

• Thanks 1