Aero L-29 Dolfyn - 1/72 AvantGarde Model Kit

Hi,

I'm not particularly fond of this particular aircraft or of trainer aircraft. I bought this kit though as I read loads of good comments and was looking for an easy build.

I was not disappointed.

This is a very well engineered kit. Loads of details and options. The etched parts are easy to use. One may have appreciate some seatbelts though (I used some “Luftwaffe” ones). My main struggle was with the natural metal finish. I tried indeed using K-color paints for this (I’ve already used those paints for small areas and was very satisfied) and failed until I discuss with a nice chap at Yeovil model show (yeah… last year… the kit remained some time on the shelf of doom….). The secret: use a gloss primer, not a matt one. It might sound obvious to some, but obviously not to me until there. To be honest, I’m still on the learning curve with those paints and the two Mustangs on my workbench will be challenge again.

But back to the model with some pictures. First a series of what you got in the box, then of the finished model.

Hope you like!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antoine

PS: I have AMK's Kfir in my stash. I would like to finish it in the two-green colour scheme of the equatorial air force. I will not start before I manage to find how to replicate the lighter green using Gunze Aqueous paint. Any tip?

• Like 15

Very well built and painted. Love the cockpit detail. Personally, I find the L29 an attractive airplane. 

• Like 1

Thank you SAT69!

You are right, the L29 is an attractive airplane. I should rephrase my first statement: trainers are not my first choice among military aircrafts. But I should say that an AlphaJet, a Buckeye, a Hawk and many other are nice looking aircrafts.

Cheers,

Antoine

3 minutes ago, AntoineG said:

Thank you SAT69!

You are right, the L29 is an attractive airplane. I should rephrase my first statement: trainers are not my first choice among military aircrafts. But I should say that an AlphaJet, a Buckeye, a Hawk and many other are nice looking aircrafts.

Cheers,

Antoine

I'm rather fond of Hawker Hunter two-seaters.

• Like 1

What a great looking Delfin. Love the detailed cockpit and the way you've shown the unusual way the canopies open, one tilt one slide. I've not seen inside the box of this maker before, and having seen your finished Delfin and the kit I'll be getting one. 

Very very nice, 

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Nice Delfin Antoine, very well done.  I'm quite fond of trainers as they can be seen in some really attractive schemes.

I remember seeing some of these on the dockside at Liverpool's Sefton Docks in the early nineties not long after the collapse of the Iron Curtain, the story was that the General in charge of one of the Baltic State's air forces had sold the load as a job lot to provide him with a pension fund in the Brave New World!  I don't know whether the story was true or not but I did hear a lot of them found their way to the United States.

I have this kit, hopefully it'll come to the top of the pile sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Beautiful looking L-29. I've got this an the Kfir in the stash and must get to them soon.

What's the problem with the green for the Kfir? Do Gunze not have something close that you can mix to get the right shade?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

Thank you for your comments. They were really much appreciated.

@Tbolt, with regards to the light green colour, the instruction provides you with the formula to get the 'right' shade (is there really 'right' shades?). I can get to it using Gunze Aqueous. I'm just not a fan of mixing paint. I generally do it directly in the airbrush cup (mine is suction feed). Hence, if you have to do touch-up, it becomes quite interesting to find the same shade again...

I've received the base colours, so the kfir will probably head for the workbench as soon as the Mustang couple is done.

Cheers,

Antoine

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AntoineG said:

Hello Guys,

Thank you for your comments. They were really much appreciated.

@Tbolt, with regards to the light green colour, the instruction provides you with the formula to get the 'right' shade (is there really 'right' shades?). I can get to it using Gunze Aqueous. I'm just not a fan of mixing paint. I generally do it directly in the airbrush cup (mine is suction feed). Hence, if you have to do touch-up, it becomes quite interesting to find the same shade again...

I've received the base colours, so the kfir will probably head for the workbench as soon as the Mustang couple is done.

Cheers,

Antoine

I try and do mixes with only two colours that way it's easy to match again. But if you have to do it with three, real aircraft touch up rarely match anyway.

• Like 1