1/48 Xuntong Model Tupolev Tu-2S

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2021 at 05:35, Pierre Alzamora said:

Hi Thant, best wishes from Perú !

Really terrific model you did 👏

what colors did you use, any specific brand or make a mix ?

Thanks 😊 

Pierre.

I used Mr Hobby lacquer paints.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 16/03/2021 at 10:27, 28ZComeback said:

I love what you have done to this kit. I am inspired to build my three in the stash. Question—do you think the resin aftermarket gear wells are needed or worth the hefty price?

Resin aftermarket parts have got excellent details. Go for it if you are so sensitive to details. As for me, I just used Photo etch parts for the landing gear wells.

Its a beautiful model of a plane i didn't even know existed, until the kit came out. I was familiar with the Pe-2, but not this one.

The tightly-cowled radial engines with the big spinners and 4 blade props remind me of the Howard 500.

Are there a lot of colour schemes for this plane? i'm curious....

-d-

49 minutes ago, David H said:

Are there a lot of colour schemes for this plane? i'm curious....

it was widely used in Communist bloc countries post war to the early 50's,  so yes.  Soviet, Polish, Chinese, North Korean,  Bulgarian,  plus wartime VVS.

there are several boxings of the kit, all come with various markings

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/xuntong-model-b48002-tu-2s--188722

@Learstang has written a book on them. 

https://www.scalemates.com/books/tupolev-tu-2-forgotten-medium-bomber-jason-nicholas-moore--113188

113188-10000-50-pristine.jpg

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, yes, my humble little tome on the Tu-2. The only book in English solely on the Tu-2, I believe. Thank you for mentioning this book, Troy!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

That is a beautiful model and brilliantly finished and painted! How did I miss this one? The only criticism I really have for it are the 4-bladed propellers - the WWII Tu-2s only used the 3-bladed propellers; the 4-bladers were a post-war addition. Did the kit only come with the 4-bladers?

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Small change.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Did the kit only come with the 4-bladers?

I think the kits use a lot of common sprues, and I think all the boxings come with both props.  I think all the kits have the same basic plastic infact, the Tu-2V may have added rocket sprue?   Turns out I have 3 of them.... I got one,  then picked up one on ebay with a load of AM for a good price, and another with added AM in Bookshop sale.... I'd forgotten about the ebay purchase.   

One useful spare,  the bomber kits have the torpedo, which IIRC is the right one to make a VVS Boston torpedo bomber ;) 

• Thanks 1

Now that would be nice in 1/48th scale - a VVS Boston torpedo bomber! Even better with the UTK-1 turret (that would take a bit of conversion, and where are you going to get the turret though?).

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang