Bf109G-10 night fighter, NJG 11

Interesting build.  I was ready to give up on this typically 'fiddly' Eduard kit a few days ago, as nothing seemed to be going right.  But here's the completed build of 'Weiss 4', an NJG 11 'Mosquito Hunter', supposedly based at Kothen in April 1945.  I say 'supposedly', because there are no useful pics of this aircraft available, only a couple which purport to show it, but taken from the front - which is not very helpful in terms of confirming its ID or appearance.  So all I had to go on was this colour profile from Hannants (which may or may nor be accurate), below.  But I liked the look of it anyway, so why not.  

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the kind comments :) 

Joachim, I believe these aircraft had their main surfaces polished so as to squeeze every possible extra km/h out of them, so I guess the weathering would have been minimal, which I tried to reflect.  

Lovely build! A little bland choice of scheme but nevertheless an important variant, and I commend your execution because getting an even finish of a light colour like that over an entire airplane is something I dread. The little details like the selected paint chipping on a few of the panel edges really bring it to life!

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Lovely build! A little bland choice of scheme but nevertheless an important variant, and I commend your execution because getting an even finish of a light colour like that over an entire airplane is something I dread. The lttle details like the selected paint chipping on a few of the panel edges really brng it to life!

Thanks Vlad :) 

I went deliberately heavy on the pre-shading and then gave it one or two fewer top coats than I would normally, which seems to have given me a bit of tonal variation.  Unfortunately, the camera phone and low-light indoor pics (it's been raining here literally all day) don't really show much of it, but it seems to have worked.  

30 minutes ago, Walter said:

Great build mate by the way is that colour  rlm 02 on the nose? 

Thanks Walter.  Good question on the colour ;)  I wasn't sure what it was from the pic on the decal sheet.  I'm sure the decal sheet probably specified it in the details within, but I didn't need to buy it as I had all the decals I needed for this build anyway.  Nobody else seemed to know exactly what it was meant to be either.  To me, it was a choice between either RLM 02 or the late war '84' (aka 76a, etc).  In the end I went for 84 (I use mainly Vallejo colours) and in terms of a match with the decal sheet colour, it seems pretty close.  I think 02 would have ended up being too dark.  Having said that, the only reference I have for the nose colour is the Hannants decal sheet, so I can't guarantee it's veracity :)