Bristol Sycamore 1/72 - S&M Models

Been ages since I posted anything here so will try to make amends! This is the S&M Models Bristol Sycamore kit as XL829 based in Aden in the SAR role in the early '60s.

50125797012_b330fe02de_o.jpgsyca9

The S&M Sycamore is a lovely little kit - its fairly simple but critically the fit of the glazing is excellent. The one criticism I has was that after fiddling with the undercarriage and being unable to get it to resemble the sit of the real thing, it dawned on me that the main wheels were too large. I replaced these with some from the Airfix Bird Dog and instantly I thought it made a big improvement.

50125797032_3d22d26403_o.jpgsyca8 

Kit comes with both flat and bulged doors in order that a number of variants can be made. The decals in my boxing were for a 202 Sqd aircraft complete with "mallard" insignia but 202 never flew the Sycamore and I think this may have been painted up for a display rather than an operational aircraft. As I wanted to build a Sycamore as it would have looked in operation I sourced most of the decals from the spares box with the tail warning being sprayed first in red, and then individual white lettering and white decal strip edging being applied (as the kit tail warning was wrong for the aircraft I was modelling). Paint was all over Xtracrylic RAF Rescue Yellow.

50125565596_cd72d8701b_o.jpgsyca4 

I also added some detail to the stirrup steps up to the cockpit and the nose aerials were made form bits of strip and stretched sprue.

50125565631_541040b722_o.jpgsyca1 
Hope you like!

50125565576_e2de15162b_o.jpgsyca5 

50125565566_9217abe96a_o.jpgsyca6 

Pat

• Like 47

Wonderful job there Pat and you have got the colour absolutely spot on too,....... I love the bulged rear doors too,...... a brilliant little Sycamore there mate,..spot on.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

wonderful rendition! Very tidy and sharp work on a small kit.

Always thought the Sycamore had an odd look with the rotor head so close to flush roof.

Matt

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Angell328 said:

Always thought the Sycamore had an odd look with the rotor head so close to flush roof.

Matt

That was down to Hafner’s Spider, something the Sycamore shares with the Lynx/Wildcat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

That was down to Hafner’s Spider, something the Sycamore shares with the Lynx/Wildcat.

Thanks for the info, had a fun half hour reading up about a bit of tech I didn't know about 👍

19 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I showed the photos to my wife, and she thought they were of the real machine

If you want me to knock up a pic of you mowing the lawn to show her let me know!!

Thanks for all the comments guys - the Sycamore does have a bit of a “soviet” look to it I agree. Interesting to read about Hafner’s idea for designing the shape of the fuselage to counteract the rotor torque rather than using a tail rotor. Wonder if that would have worked in practice.

• Haha 1

Superb! I have this kit in the stash so very interesting reading your write-up. It certainly builds into a nice helicopter. I won't be using the erroneous 202 sqn markings either.

• Like 1

Interesting to read about Hafner’s idea for designing the shape of the fuselage to counteract the rotor torque rather than using a tail rotor. 

You should see his design for the Pobjoy Shorts PD7 naval helicopter he was working on just before the start of WW2. Side on it looked like a podgy Sycamore, head on it was a streamlined shape not much wider than the pilot's shoulders (think HP Hampden with a rotor). The anti-torque was going to be provided by two hinged sections of the fuselage, one forward of the rotor and one aft pivoting in opposition like ailerons. The PD7 was an interesting concept, tandem crew, retractable undercarriage, amphibious and armed with a pivoting Oerlikon cannon. Sikorsky showed the way to control the torque was the tail rotor although he struggled with cyclic and collective control which was something Hafner had solved by 1930 with his Spider. Hafner was sensible enough to go with the tail rotor for the Sycamore. 

• Like 1