A snappy Hurricane

I'm going to have a go at this GB (can't let a BoB GB get away!)

I'll be building the Pegasus Hobbies "EZ Snapz" 1/48 Hawker Hurricane. Now, before anyone dismisses this kit as a toy, or as not a proper model, read Brett Green's review on Hyperscale here.

Here  are the obligatory ID shots:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I won't be using the kit decals, the instructions give no clue as to the identity of the machine featured, other than a serial P3901. I know that a little bit of GoogleFu could find it,

but it's just as easy to open a pack of aftermarket decals and finish it as a different machine that I can identify from the start. I'll probably be building P2923/VY-R of no.85 Sqn.

I'm actually trying to kickstart my modelling mojo with this. Me Mojo's gorn AWOL . . .

• Like 13

Nice to see a different kit of the Hurricane being built.

I've often wondered about  getting one of the Pegasus kits so I will be interested to see yours build up. 

Cheers Greg 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its the older Hasegawa kit re-boxed isn't it ?

I don't believe so. In the linked review, Brett Green points out some ways this is better than the Hasegawa, i.e., restrained detail and an easier build. It's possible Pegasus Hobbies could have "adjusted" the tooling, but I see no signs of

Hasegawa provenance.

But they are good and inexpensive . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Made a start!

Began with a little bit of parts painting on the sprue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here is the fuselage, ready for closing up. I'm not just snapping this together, Tamiya Extra Thin is being brushed along all the seams, and into those hefty sockets for the alignment pins

spacer.png

I haven't taken a pic of the wings being assembled, It's just five parts, but here below is where she's up to now. Nearly ready for paint!

spacer.png

According to the Xtradecal instruction sheet, the actual undersurface colour of my subject is not known. We all know it should be Sky, but Xtradecals claims that it could be

Sky, Sky Blue, Sky Grey, Eau-de-Nil, or a locally mixed colour. Apparently Sky was in short supply from its introduction to Fighter Command on 06/06/1940 until Augaust 1940.

I think I'll go with Sky Grey . . .

Edited by Fifer54
add missing picture
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Ready for decals.

I found that I didn't have any Sky Grey, nor suitable paints from which to mix Sky Grey,so the underside is in Sky . . .spacer.png

Hope to get some decals on her later today.

• Like 11

On 23/07/2020 at 10:13, Fifer54 said:

According to the Xtradecal instruction sheet, the actual undersurface colour of my subject is not known. We all know it should be Sky, but Xtradecals claims that it could be

Xtradecals never revise their decal info.  This is not one of their better ones,  the codes are too slim, they get the colour details wrong. The Sky wraps up over the wing leading edge and under the nose.

Black spinner with green stripes?!?!?!?

What is really stupid this is VY-R P2923 which is maybe the best photo documented BoB Hurricane.  There are 25 or more photos, taken at the same time, from nearly every angle.

see here for them. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144949377@N05/albums/72157704898371932

At the time 85 Sq was using flight coloured spinners,  which is why the C/O's plane has a white spinner, also in the link VY-Q, P3166.  *

note the spinner is the same tone as the fin flash and gun patches

large.jpg&key=8c5c592e29cb9837b305939359

On 18/07/2020 at 18:36, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its the older Hasegawa kit re-boxed isn't it ?

No, it's basically a copy of the Hasegawa kit, faults and all, but simplified construction.

They are good as shelf models, and AFAIK, pretty cheap in the USA.  

FWIW, all the 1/48 Pegasus plane kits are basically copies of existing kits, so how good they are depends on the base kit copied. 

They are different enough to not get sued, but they faithfully copy faults, including the little tropical vents on BoB Hurricane...

* pre war photos of 111 squadron have their numbers half white/half flight colour, but the C/O's plane has all white numbers.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967537-fabric-wing-hurricane-options/&do=findComment&comment=1739349

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, guys, it seems that my model is inaccurate, my painting is inaccurate, and my decals are inaccurate. I think I'll call it quits and leave it at that. Now where are those knitting needles? . . .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fifer54 said:

my model is inaccurate,

no more than any Hasegawa based Hurricane. The basic shapes are good.  Overall its decent.

my painting is inaccurate, and my decals are inaccurate.

your painting is inaccurate because your decal guide is.  

Point here,  if you have internet access, you have an amazing research tool.

A simple search of the serial and unit would have brought up photos,  a bit more digging, or asking here would have got the information above.

I think I'll call it quits and leave it at that.

Accuracy is not a yes/no, black/white simple subject, but a complex and graduated scale of how interested or bothered you are, it's YOUR model. Fine to say, not worried and press on.  I've seen a lot worse.

Assuming the model is as above, mask off the uppers,  respray the Sky or whatever you used to the correct demarcation, do the spinner is what you like from the photo link (my pick is red with white bands) and don't worry about the slim codes,  and you have corrected the inaccurate paint guide, and as what you have done so far is excellent work,  then you will have an excellent model with a  considerably more accurate in paint finish.

HTH

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fifer54 said:

Well, guys, it seems that my model is inaccurate, my painting is inaccurate, and my decals are inaccurate. I think I'll call it quits and leave it at that. Now where are those knitting needles? . . .

Don't pick up the knitting needles just yet....

You have made good progress so far don't let inaccuracies get in the way of completing your project. If the markings and colour call.outs are not quite right pick another option from your decal sheet.

Cheers Greg 👍

Thanks for your support, guys. I've taken it on board.

I did eventually use Sky for the underside. I've decalled her this evening, and the decals have certainly "brought her to life". A clean-up of the decal solvent in the morning, then a Matt coat, add the final details and she's done. I do think she'll look fine on the shelf!

This has been my first 1/48 build for a long time, I decided to change from 1/72 as my eyesight and the steadiness of my hands are deteriorating as I get older (66 in 2 weeks!) I'll be building lots of vintage Monogram and Revell in the next few yearsl

My next build will be Heinz Baer's "White 13" Bf109E-3 in1/48, but that's for a BoB GB elsewhere on the 'net. I f anyone hasn't seen this kit, ALL the upper surface camo AND the canopy framing are provided as decals- that's a major challenge

with my (lack of!) skills!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Fifer54 said:

ALL the upper surface camo AND the canopy framing are provided as decals- that's a major challenge

I'll say, what a strange idea, I'll be interested to see what you think of it in practice :) 

Cheers,

Stew

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'll say, what a strange idea, I'll be interested to see what you think of it in practice :) 

Cheers,

Stew

I'm sorry, I didn't say it was the Academy Limited Edition Bf109E-3 "Heinz Baer"! I dare say that if the decals don't work out, these things can be painted . . .

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that mate. I have made some of their tanks which are simple but effective - did not know they made planes as well.

Pete