De Havilland Sea Hornet PR.22 questions

ReccePhreak

I want to build my Classic Airframes 1/48 De Havilland Sea Hornet F.20/NF.21 kit as an operational Sea Hornet PR.22. I downloaded the Warpaint volume on the De Havilland Hornet/Sea Hornet, and it has a side color profile of Sea Hornet PR.22 VW938 of 703 Sqn on page 33. It doesn't mention the paint colors, but on page 22 there is a drawing of a Sea Hornet F Mk.20 with Extra Dark Sea Grey upper finish and Sky lower finish. Would I be correct in assuming the  Sea Hornet PR.22 would be painted the same way? If so, then all I have to do is cobble together the appropriate serials, since NOBODY makes markings for a 1/48 Sea Hornet PR.22. I just placed an order for the underwing fuel tanks from Barracuda Studios, along with a set of their tires.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
spelling

13 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Would I be correct in assuming the  Sea Hor PR.22 would be painted the same way?

Not seen him for while, but @David A Collins  would be a good chap to ask, he's rebuilding a full size one! 

@The Wooksta! may know as well.

I just stuck 

19 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Sea Hornet PR.22 VW938 of 703 Sqn

into google

this turn up, posted under fair use 

mev-10840570.jpg

I would be surprised if it was anything other the EDSG over Sky... 

22 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Classic Airframes 1/48 De Havilland Sea Hornet F.20/NF.21

I'd recommend reading this

some of the pics are gone :(

HTH

• Like 1

@Troy Smith Thanks for the picture and the link to the build. I will have to have a good read through it tomorrow morning, when my brain is "refreshed". :drunk:

I see what you mean about the missing photos, Photosucket strikes again!

I don't think I will be cutting up the fuselage & adding sections, just adding the recce ports, and the aftermarket fuel tanks & wheels. Hopefully I have enough proper sized letters in my decal stash to do the correct codes. Now I wish I had downloaded the Pilot's Notes for the Sea Hornet PR.22 when Avialogs had their free 90 day "COVID-19"membership.  That's one I missed. :banghead:

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

I think the 1/72 Special Hobby kit (Sea Hornet F.20/PR.22) has the latter in an all over silver. I can't vouch for its accuracy, but a search of the serial might reveal a period photograph.

Edge

3 hours ago, Edge said:

I think the 1/72 Special Hobby kit (Sea Hornet F.20/PR.22) has the latter in an all over silver. I can't vouch for its accuracy, but a search of the serial might reveal a period photograph.

Edge

Thanks, I checked out that info. I think I will stick with the EDSG over Sky finish., since I have plenty of those colors in Testors Model Master enamel.

Larry

Given the various other arguments on here about aircraft colours on BM lately I am reluctant to muddy the waters but would draw attention to a two part article by Paul Lucas in Scale Aircraft Modelling Dec 2016/Jan 2017 under the title "Shades of Sky - Under Surface Colours for Front line Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1945-1955" in which he disussed the liklihood or otherwise of certain FAA aircraft types having "white" undersides particularly in the 1948-1951 period. The problem it would seem is that the official documentation both he and Ian Huntley turned up in their researches is not entirely clear as to what finishes were required to be applied to aircraft types in certain roles. I stress some but not all types.

In relation to the Sea Hornets produced before Jan 1948 should have been silver overall. From Jan 1948 they should have been EDSG/Sky as in the photos above. But according to the article:-

1. FR.20 first batch VR837-VR891 completed Sept 1947 to July 1948 finished overall aluminium. So old rules applied after the changeover date.

2. FR.20 second batch VZ707-VZ715 completed Aug 1949-Feb 1950 possibly finished in EDSG and an "off white with a pale blue hue" as per the photo in Warpaint No 19 on page 20. (and yes he acknowledges the difficulties of telling colours from photos but there is much more to it than that)

These serials are normally referred to as F.20 not FR.20.

The first production batch of PR.22, VW930-VW939, fell between the above two batches with deliveries between Sept 1948 and June 1949. The next batch, VZ655-VZ664 were delivered Aug 1949 to Feb 1950 alongside the second batch referred to in the article. The final 3, WE245 - WV247 were delivered Aug/Sept 1950.

After July 1951 everything becomes much simpler. New instructions make it clear that all naval aircraft in front line service including night fighters and operational aircraft in training squadrons were to be EDSG/Sky to pattern No 2 (high fuselage demarcation). That would have been applied to existing aircraft as the came in for major servicing if not already so painted.

I would recommend that anyone interested in the subject should get copies of the relevant articles and read them for themselves. The story is not easy to follow unless you have read the article very carefully.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the existence and proven use of Sky Blue (to name the most obvious one) shows that not all light blue/green colours were Sky.   I do feel that meticulous research needs to be read, not automatically dissed.  Nothing wrong with approaching it sceptically, of course, or indeed not being convinced afterwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I don't believe that for one minute I'm afraid.  Pale blue, duck egg Blue, light green, off white were all different interpretations of Sky

You missed the word “WHITE” in my first paragraph. Go read the article in full to understand where he was coming from. Lots of original research in there.

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2020 at 2:05 AM, ReccePhreak said:

I want to build my Classic Airframes 1/48 De Havilland Sea Hornet F.20/NF.21 kit as an operational Sea Hornet PR.22. I downloaded the Warpaint volume on the De Havilland Hornet/Sea Hornet, and it has a side color profile of Sea Hornet PR.22 VW938 of 703 Sqn on page 33. It doesn't mention the paint colors, but on page 22 there is a drawing of a Sea Hornet F Mk.20 with Extra Dark Sea Grey upper finish and Sky lower finish. Would I be correct in assuming the  Sea Hornet PR.22 would be painted the same way? If so, then all I have to do is cobble together the appropriate serials, since NOBODY makes markings for a 1/48 Sea Hornet PR.22. I just placed an order for the underwing fuel tanks from Barracuda Studios, along with a set of their tires.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Apologies for such a late response!

To confirm what others have stated, the PR.22 and NF21 Sea Hornets both wore the EDSG on top and "sky" underneath. Humbrol 90 Beige Green is a good colour match in my view.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Hi Larry,

To confirm what others have stated, the PR.22 and NF21 Sea Hornets both wore the EDSG on top and "sky" underneath. Humbrol 90 Beige Green is a good colour match in my view.

Thanks for the info David. :thumbsup:

The Sea Hornet is now in my modelling "Queue", but since there are so many other kits ahead of it I don't know when I will start on it. I am just glad that the vacuform canopies in my kit are still nice & clear, with no indications of turning brown.

Larry

Not wanting to throw additional doubt into this, but weer these various shades of Sky or whatever affected much by fading?  Might that be part of the explanation for the apparent variations? The maritime environment is quite punishing. 

Certainly sounds to me like a good way to excuse my modelling interpretation of the colours I use! 

On 9/8/2020 at 9:15 PM, David A Collins said:

Hi Larry,

Hello David.
I too am currently building a mid 50s Royal Navy Wyvern.
Same EDSG over Sky
I have chosen to go with acrylics, so I am thinking mostly of colour matches in Tamiya.

Actual British colour spec for these I believe are:
BS381C 210 Sky
BS381C 640 Extra Dark Sea Grey

What, in your opinion, do you think of the Tamiya 
Tamiya Dark Sea Gray XF-2481724
Tamiya Sky XF-2181721
Your input would be appreciated..

On 9/20/2020 at 4:27 AM, Maurice William Hilarius said:

Hello David.
I too am currently building a mid 50s Royal Navy Wyvern.
Same EDSG over Sky
I have chosen to go with acrylics, so I am thinking mostly of colour matches in Tamiya.

Actual British colour spec for these I believe are:
BS381C 210 Sky
BS381C 640 Extra Dark Sea Grey

What, in your opinion, do you think of the Tamiya 
Tamiya Dark Sea Gray XF-2481724
Tamiya Sky XF-2181721
Your input would be appreciated..

Hi Maurice,

Regarding which Tamiya paint to use, I'd seek out an opinion from the many folk on here, I've seen building the Airfix Sea Fury. Personally I haven't used the Tamiya colours yet, as I found the Humbrol ones a great match. Sorry I couldn't be of help in this case.

Edited by David A Collins

25 minutes ago, David A Collins said:

Hi Maurice,

Regarding which Tamiya paint to use, I'd seek out an opinion from the many folk on here, I've seen building the Airfix Sea Fury. Personally I haven't used the Tamiya colours yet, as I found the Humbrol ones a great match. Sorry I couldn't he of help in this case.

Thanks anyway, David
I thought it might help to ask. One never knows where to find knowledge

Appreciate your taking the time to reply though.

• Thanks 1