1/48 Mosquito

Tamiya kit,

I've built Mosquitos before but it's always hard to make them look interesting, as being made from wood there's little in the way of panel lines and rivets. So this time I decided to draw lines on it to replicate the wooden panels, I've seen a top modeller do this before, although his approach was different. I found a few photos that seem to show a similar effect. It's artistic licence for sure, but I'm trying to step up my game,

Cheers,

Owen

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 27

I don't know enough to offer an expert or solid amateur critique where Mosquitos are concerned, but the model looks very good to me.

Nice idea but sadly no.  Although the Mosquito was built of wood it was also fabric covered on its entirety, apart from the engine nacelles and cowlings.  The fabric was applied in large sheets and did not match the joints of the wooden skin panels except at production joints between major assemblies.  You might be better using the technique to lightly accentuate the removable panels on the Mosquito and on metal-skinned aircraft.

• Like 1

Hi ,

the first look on your model was breathtaking! Never saw such a good looking Mosquito. Your efforts are very effective. It is nearly correct. Maybe the technique of stressed skin would be better, but to do this technique is a lot of work. So then you would have these smooth waves. 
Cheers 

Andy 

Looking at any photo of RAF WWII a/c it is not a difference in colour on any plane, I've noticed, it is patchwork of subtle variations of shine, scuffing etc

All due to a daily maintenance and erks doing their job. Try painting each colour with a "dots" of variations (light/dark /satin/matt) to a base , 

To be honest, I don't like those dark "panel lines" on the nose in the first photo. Yet it's your model, your fun.