Heads up to Uk civy modellers

Heads up to those who model civys in the UK, discovered Wilkos paint stripper is great for removing Halfords appliance white, this stuff https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-all-purpose-paint-varnish-stripper-500ml/p/0299049, dollop it on, leave it for an hour and it softens nicely to be removed with a dish scrubber and warm soapy water :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Any idea how it works with 20 year old enamel?

Dunno yet, as it's out of stock according to the website, but brown Dettol left to soak shifts 20 year old Humbrol enamel

25 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Dunno yet, as it's out of stock according to the website, but brown Dettol left to soak shifts 20 yer old Humbrol enamel

Thanks. I hadn't thought of Dettol. I normally use isopropyl alcohol to strip paint but it's much more effective on acrylic than enamel and the price has gone through the roof since the pandemic so I'm on the look out for something to replace it.

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Any idea how it works with 20 year old enamel?

Not having any to hand I can't say, worth a try at least, and even if it doesn't got some ready AW related problems 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

On 18/07/2020 at 12:19, Skodadriver said:

I normally use isopropyl alcohol to strip paint but it's much more effective on acrylic

As long as there are no clear parts involved brake fluid (of the DOT4 variety) works well on most types of acrylics - I've stripped car bodies painted with craft acrylics, Tamiya and Mr. Color, and Halfords and Hycote car sprays with it. I've only ever had one adverse reaction with plastic when a windscreen pillar became brittle and cracked - but I had forgotten about the body and left it soaking for about 4 months! It does usually take the surface shine off plastic, but I like this for re-priming. I mention clear parts as I've never used the stuff on them, so have no idea what effect it might have (if you want them to stay clear....)

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks @keefr22. That's very useful to know. Isopropyl alcohol has now become an investment commodity rather than a paint stripper!  

I'm also after something for stripping old enamel - any idea how brake fluid works with it?

@Skodadriver DOT4 brake fluid will shift gloss and matt enamel and acrylic. The thing to remember is, it's NOT nice stuff.

Use in a sealed container, wear rubber gloves, eye protection and a double filtered mask. Mr.Muscle will do a similar job.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

The thing to remember is, it's NOT nice stuff.

As are many (most?) of things we use in modelling. 2K clearcoat anybody? And have you read the warnings on the back of a tube of Squadron Green Stuff putty? And if you read the Safety Data Sheets, Mr Muscle sounds even less nice than brake fluid......

4 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Use in a sealed container, wear rubber gloves, eye protection and a double filtered mask.

Fair enough on the first three and I should have mentioned I use those, but in all my years of working on cars, and being around professional mechanics working on cars, I've never seen anyone wear a double filter respirator (or even a face mask, pre covid) when using brake fluid. I guess if you're daft enough to sniff or drink it you should wear one - but that also holds true for liquid poly cement - or enamel paint and thinnersi! 

I think it's like many of the other things we use it's a case of just be sensible....? :)

Keith

21 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

The thing to remember is, it's NOT nice stuff.

Use in a sealed container, wear rubber gloves, eye protection and a double filtered mask. Mr.Muscle will do a similar job.

I find this stuff is brilliant at removing any paint from a model and the best thing is it's 'not classified as dangerous to the environment or human health'.

https://www.ecosolutions.co.uk/homestrip-paint-remover/

You can strip a whole model in an hour.

I buy mine in a 500ml tub from B&Q and it lasts for ages

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

As are many (most?) of things we use in modelling. 2K clearcoat anybody?

But how many Aircraft modellers use 2K?

...............have you read the warnings on the back of a tube of Squadron Green Stuff putty?

No, 'cos I don't use it anymore, rather sniff a bottle of toluene. (In my defence, I don't, gives a vicious headache!)

read the Safety Data Sheets, Mr Muscle sounds even less nice than brake fluid......

That being the case, you'd pull yer hair out if you've read commercial product COSHH sheets.............them things'll give you nightmares!

On a serious note, the active ingredient in Mr. Muscle is caustic soda. If this comes into contact with organic matter, ie skin, it burns. DOT4 will be absorbed............................. and as it's a carcinogen......................

in all my years of working on cars, and being around professional mechanics working on cars, I've never seen anyone wear a double filter respirator (or even a face mask, pre covid) when using brake fluid.

Probably because it's used for what it's intended, as intended. The risk factor is reduced to a single % point.

The suggested use in this instance is likely to have been made to someone who, under normal circumstance has no dealings with the item.

This could then put their health in danger. In my book, better safe than sorry, or, 'belt and braces'.

like many of the other things we use it's a case of just be sensible...............

You KNOW sensible mechanics? For reference, the Son in Law is a 'grease monkey', but the comment is quite true.

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

You KNOW sensible mechanics?

Good point, well made...!! :)

But how many Aircraft modellers use 2K?

I've seen a few airliner builds with it used - tbh I don't like it on most car models as it's too shiny - even more so on small scale aircraft! And it is one chemical I am too chicken to use....

Ian, @Turbofan great find, will have to give it a go

Me too! 

Keith

• Like 1