Airfix 1/72 Hawker Demon Vintage Classic

Hi,

I love this aircraft. The Hawker Hart & variants series have got to be the most beautiful aircraft ever designed. I guess the kit must be from the 60’s, and Airfix have recently released this in their ‘Vintage Classics’ series - a way of flogging old tool kits and make them seem sexy! 

Just look at this beauty... Cor.

891-D34-BB-23-E4-40-F4-A8-BD-9-DCC48-D76

Nice new box, same old parts! Lots of flash and overly done surfaces. Raised panel lines. This will be addressed! 

81-E4-A0-DF-02-D5-4-A9-F-BC66-00-C2-CC2-

EBD4-CDD7-5-CA2-4-CDE-AE38-23-CC7-F57-A3

That said, it still looks like a nice kit hiding underneath.

AF423-D77-B95-E-40-F4-A40-E-CD2-B5001-F0

5-D8-E956-F-409-E-4-E40-98-AD-C7-BFF9-C6

Despite the age, I’m looking forward to see if I can make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear! 

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 19

Love it! I can't help but agree about the Hart series being probably the most beautiful aircraft ever designed, it's just a shame Airfix didn't even get close to capturing that beauty. I have no doubt though that you'll be able to "remove all the plastic that's not Demon" and leave yourself a cracking model. 

Beer ordered...

Ian

• Like 1

Yep, it’s going to be a challenge, but what more fun could you get for a fiver? 🤪

Made a start on the surfaces. Looks miles better already with a quick sand down. I was a bit worried about this bit, but so far so good.

Guy

F07-F45-D7-6-CFC-4-EF0-AB37-8-CF976-FCDA

7-E78905-D-C4-C5-4-CBF-B114-0568231-DE46

• Like 21

Thanks everyone,

Follow away. I’m sure I can show you some schoolboy errors... 

On to the cockpit. The usual empty space from that modelling era. Just a bench for the pilot figure to sit upon. I’m more of a generic kind of modeller, so I’ve just added some framework and seats from plastic card/ rod to add interest.

4-E992-A19-F014-4203-A63-A-935-AEF09-B53

F59-DEADF-C83-B-44-FE-B4-A1-224512-E8245

8798479-A-2065-4-ACD-87-C1-04-FA1-DCF318

Airfix have, however, gone all 21st century and given you a decal for the instrument panel.

Guy

ps finished sanding down the wings etc and despite taking a bit more effort than I thought it would, they look a lot better. Once done it’s surprising how much more modern the kit looks. 

• Like 21

• 2 weeks later...

Morning,

Just to prove I haven’t given up on the Demon. I’m waiting on replacement cabane struts (which were broken) from Airfix. Normally this is very quick but with the crisis I guess they’re taking a bit longer!

The main issue for me was how to represent the chromed cowlings as I think they’re key to the look of the Hart family. I contemplated using bare metal foil. I haven’t used it before but in the end I couldn’t see how I could get it to conform with such a curved surface (although I didn’t try either), but settled on Mr Paint Super Stainless Steel over a black, glossy base. Looks the part I think? I’m always wary of masking high shine finishes from previous experience, so that creates other issues. 

I mixed the flat silver main colour. It looks a bit too grey if I’m honest, and it’s exacerbated by the the photos, but I wanted a contrast to the chrome which it certainly is.

But here’s where I’m at, still waiting for parts!

Guy

9-D8-B7165-3-C75-49-C1-8-BD9-EC6-C75-DB5

C8-E2-B8-FC-5-CF5-4231-BEA3-34-F7117-B0-

1531-FB29-7-B50-495-C-B58-C-C5082506-A08

• Like 20

Your model certainly looks a lot tidier after you sanded down the wings, and the cowling is gorgeous!

I hope you will get your replacement parts soon. I requested replacements for the mis-molded struts of my Tiger Moth on July 2nd, and apart from receiving an acknowledgment that same day I haven't heard any more since. In the meantime I completed the kit anyway. You might want to consider making the struts yourself somehow.

• Like 1

Nice work! The cowling is looking very shiny.

There is a good kit hiding in there - it’s a Hawker Hart! Airfix reworked the moulds in the early 1960s to convert it to a Demon, and added all the ‘orrible fabric effects at the same time. At least you have modern decals this time around.

FWIW the kit-supplied cabane struts are a bit too short so I ended up using some plastic rod instead here when I did mine. I stuck the N shaped struts to the lower wing, let them dry, glued on the upper wing then trimmed some rod down to fit for the cabane struts.

You will need to make a little dent in the front strut for the exhaust pipe otherwise it gets in the way of a good fit. Airfix also got the position of the rear strut on the fuselage a bit high, but it doesn’t make much visual difference.

Looking forward to seeing it rigged and decalled!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps,

Yes, I’m quite happy making the struts, but as they’ve all broken (I think they came cracked on the sprue) I wanted them as templates, but if you say they don’t fit anyway, then I may well press on! 

18 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

FWIW the kit-supplied cabane struts are a bit too short so I ended up using some plastic rod instead here when I did mine. I stuck the N shaped struts to the lower wing, let them dry, glued on the upper wing then trimmed some rod down to fit for the cabane struts.

You will need to make a little dent in the front strut for the exhaust pipe otherwise it gets in the way of a good fit. Airfix also got the position of the rear strut on the fuselage a bit high, but it doesn’t make much visual difference.

Regards,

Adrian

Guy

• Like 3

Great to see this old kit get a good facelift! Love that cowling Guy, very impressive indeed.

Just figured out I was 14 when I bought my first Airfix Demon. It seemed so state of the art back then!

Terry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

In many respects the old Airfix kit is better than the Amodel/Avis/Az kits

Oh dear! I have an AZ and two Amodels that I was rather looking forward to... :)

'scuse thread drift...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Love the office work. Did you have a set of PE belts or are they scratched? The internal wall looks great too. I want to add mine to my new multi build. 🤩

Johnny

Just a set of Eduard belts out of the spares box Johnny.

Thanks all, hopefully some more progress soon.

Guy

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Oh dear! I have an AZ and two Amodels that I was rather looking forward to... :)

'scuse thread drift...

Regards,

Adrian

Sorry buddy just my opinion 🙂 with apols for further thread drift..

for the perfect Hawker twin tub bipe  recipe - IIMHO use the Airfix lower wing, Aeroclub scarff ring and Lewis and prop, AZ top wing and the Amodel fuselage.... sprinkle with Mr Surfacer and garnish with the silver dope spray of your choice

The Airfix wings have overdone ribbing but are razor sharp- the more modern kits have wings as thick as surfboards but better surface detail...

Don’t look too closely (though I was pleased with my Hart Trainer conversion)! 

TT

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Not sure whether to post this here or on the RFI thread, but I meant to ask what you used for the rigging?

Kind regards.

Mark

Just plain old monofilament Mark,

Guy

• Thanks 1

Hi Mark

9 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Guy, what diameter do you use? 0.1mm?

Thanks,

Mark

I used 0.14 mm but that’s overscale, but to my eye it looks fine. If you did true scale (about 0.07) I think it would almost ‘disappear’

Guy

• Thanks 1