Middle River Stump Jumper 1/48 scale

Been a while since posting, so an update is in order. latter part of August into Sept  was a wash with emergencies with Family and Friends taking me out of town . but after returning and discovering some damage due to feline playful antics those have been all sorted out and progress has recommenced. Nacelles and props had either disappeared or shattered in falling to floor from upper shelf where I put them for safe keeping( silly me I should have known better to think anything is "Safe" in my work room. Especially if I'm not there. but no matter. Printed new Props  and found corrected resin nacelles on evilbay. Quality was better than I expected.  Being away for so long actually helped because I found a few thing that needed a bit of tidying up and clearing up. mostly sizable gaps around the Canopy and perspex nose, I added a layer of glazing compound to fill in , sanded down and added another layer to finish. I'll let this dry tonight and final sand in the morning. Odds are I'll have to re-polish parts of both to remove minor scratches. Had I thought about it for a minute I would have masked off the  clear edges BEFORE applying the glazing but no matter done is done.

50372530901_47137bd6ea_c.jpg

• Like 2

Whilst that is setting up I, started work on the engines. I thought about just buying  a set of resin R2800's but looking at price thought I'd try my hand at making my own. I did buy a set of Nakajima Ha-115's to give me an idea on how to design and construct my own.. Once the printing bugs were worked out( mostly User error /Design)  I printed out 2 sets of crank cases, jugs and exhaust. I didn't print rocker arms or wiring as I had plastic rod for that.

50372691732_4390f7a9b8_c.jpg

50372530856_83913d391d_c.jpg

50372530846_4ba7b90ebc_c.jpg

Did a temp engine mount with some blu-tack to make sure everything was correct.

50371829063_4ede46801b_c.jpg

Once all this is dry then I can repaint sections worked on, add the side windows . brake lines  and finer details Almost done

• Like 8

On 07/08/2020 at 02:27, LorenSharp said:

The longitudinal stiffeners were added (They were needed on the original because of the stresses on the frame from testing.

It’s interesting, initially l haven’t noticed it on the first photo.

On 13/08/2020 at 20:26, LorenSharp said:

Added the main centerline tyres and the outrigger pogos once the finished printing,

Wait, it’s just the one tire per strut on the centreline?! Bold decision.

Keep up the good work! 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks NIkolay, More like expedient  decision. They just moved the main struts from the wings to the centerline. then what was left of the gear on the wings they attached added modified out riggers. It saved on  designing and manufacturing everything from scratch. It would be interesting to see what the actual set up innards looked like for the centerline wheels. I haven't been able to find any. If they were taken  probably were tossed in the trash with a lot of the photographic history when Martin was bought out. I did read that Stan Piet  and a few others tried to salvage what they could from Martins Historical Archives but alot was gone by then. So much for young bean counters" History, we don need no stinkin history."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Whilst that is setting up I, started work on the engines. I thought about just buying  a set of resin R2800's but looking at price thought I'd try my hand at making my own. I did buy a set of Nakajima Ha-115's to give me an idea on how to design and construct my own.. Once the printing bugs were worked out( mostly User error /Design)  I printed out 2 sets of crank cases, jugs and exhaust. I didn't print rocker arms or wiring as I had plastic rod for that.

Nice work Loren. What printer are you using? I've used 3d for many years professionally but keen to learn what others are using for this great hobby,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Thanks dunny, I'm using an Elegoo Mars, It's worked flawlessly, with the exception of me  learning how small I can make my detail and  proper placement and supports on the build plate. Seriously considering moving up to the Saturn when they become available. As far as the modeling goes, I used to do 3D Animation long time ago. so I still use the same program now as then, Lightwave3d. Tried other programs but didn't like them for one reason or another.

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

This is interesting and unusual.  Great work on the conversion and details too and to think it was originally a kit built many years ago and disassembled.   Fantastic work. 

Chris

Thanks bigbadbadge. A new kit might have been easier from the get go but way too expensive since its not in production. Disassembly is not the easiest of things to do and keep the plastic more or less intact.I have another pure restoration in the planning stages now. BUt ts proving to be more delicate due to it's a Plastic, Vac ,resin conversion. Its a Koster PB4Y-2 Privateer, my first foray into vacs and AND conversions it can definitely be done better now. Need to make a little bit more "elbow room" on the bench. I will be starting a WIP here soon on it.

• Like 1

I've just tripped over this thread, not having any idea before what the Stump Jumper was. Really interesting, build of a out there idea, easy to see how it operated as a proof of concept, hard to see those main gears being retractable, especially the nose wheel. Watching now. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 4:03 PM, LorenSharp said:

As I'm sitting here watching paint dry on an F4U for the Corsair GB I start thinking, I know Dangerous, then I start what-ffing,, even more hazardous, then I start plotting.... Catastrophic. End result.... I have an old Monogram B_26 Marauder I disassembled a long while back for restoration. THis is an old kit, built 

waaaaay back in the last century. Not in the best of shape, cracked pieces, real glue marks, not CA. Probably should be tossed in the bin, and it may still, BUT lets see if it can be resurrected into an XB-26H. Otherwise known as the Middle River Stump Jumper.

50123600241_8c60aa4e38_b.jpg

And I'm just certifiable enough to try and do this because I ain't never not done it. So if you feel brave to follow along if only to watch me flail about, or to offer pearls of wisdom you are most welcome to join. Extra refreshments have been stocked and seating have been arranged.

Lets begin shall we? As always Comments, suggestions,and general anarchy is welcomed.

Keep going! 

But you gotta ask:  "What the heck was Martin Aircraft thinking when they came up with this...?"  😉

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Shark444 said:

Keep going! 

But you gotta ask:  "What the heck was Martin Aircraft thinking when they came up with this...?"  😉

I think it was a proof of concept for the XB-48. Boeing used the same style on the B-47 and B-52 bombers it allows the B-52 to crab up to 20* off center to utilize as much of the wind in take-off’s and landings. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Now into the home stretch. The engines and Cowlings have been added.

50397933178_16c86a50fd_c.jpg

50397933163_ddec8e0eff_c.jpg

The cowlings had  to have a bit ground out to get the engines to fit. Cowling flaps added.

50399027702_ce0b50ff0e_c.jpg

The carpet monster aslo managed to eat the port landing light cover so I did my best to make anew cover from some thin clear plastic the was already bent in the approximate way. just had to trim and bend a little bit more to fit.

• Like 3

Also added the heavy duty "Nose Wheel" turning Actuators.

50398782122_dbba166d40_c.jpg

From the Underside, Gear doors and bracing.

50398781922_5e8ba38bb2_c.jpg

Marker and formation lighting Lights

50397932983_cef7a17b91_c.jpg

Temporarily attached new props to check fit. I 'll secure them permanently once I apply the decals and Aerial wire.

Some where along the way dust from sanding entered and stuck to the nose and canopy glass. No way to remove so  I'll have to live with it.

• Like 2

Since nobody makes a decal set for the Stump Jumper had go in and create my own. The first printing I did the name on clear decal paper, printing out 2 each thinking that I could make it "brighter" without printing on white. Printed out pretty, you just couldn't see it against an olive drab background. So I reprinted on white but with an olive drab matched to the original as close as possible. My mistake was using bright white printer paper as the test sheet before actual print. Decal isn't as bright a white so when printing colours come out 3 shades darker. the olive drab came out as a new paint job as opposed to the faded. Rather than reprint as I don't much more white. But I will file this for next time.

50402145342_d02e1aa879_c.jpg

The other was a warning sign for the rear centerline wheel.

50401292503_25ebeb52d5_c.jpg

The rest of the decals came of my spares box.

• Like 1

Attached aerials and anti-static wires to the wing tips

50401292493_7ac51fb045_c.jpg

50401987846_b782ed5f95_c.jpg

50402145252_93a0ee55f9_c.jpg

There was one strange "antenna"  at the back part of the fuselage, I'm not sure if it an antenna or a vent but add it I did.

• Like 2

Looking great what a cracking project.  Shame about the dust you mentioned in the canopy,  is there any way to blow it out in there? It's very frustrating.   Once you have finished the build might be worth a gentle few taps in the canopy area affected to disloge and it will fall away at least whilst on display. Obviously it will return if you start flying the model around the room making engine noises though!!!

Chris

• Like 2

Well there you have it. Not the most Beautimus belle on the flight line, but she was exotic. I want to thank everyone for following me along on this build. Some things didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but for an old antique that was torn apart and re-assembled it came out ok. You can catch the RFI here:

And as always any comments, critiques, or suggestions please shout them out. Until next time  stay safe and keep on modelling.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking great what a cracking project.  Shame about the dust you mentioned in the canopy,  is there any way to blow it out in there? It's very frustrating.   Once you have finished the build might be worth a gentle few taps in the canopy area affected to disloge and it will fall away at least whilst on display. Obviously it will return if you start flying the model around the room making engine noises though!!!

Chris

I wish I could Chris, unfortunately not. but I did make a respectable twin engine sound.:yahoo:

• Haha 2