Boulton Paul Defiant Mk 1 - 1/48 Airfix

Well, this is my first ever RFI post and I’m a little nervous! To see others build quality on here is definitely humbling. Here’s my attempt at Airfix’s 1/48 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk 1 of 264 Squadron, completely OOB and brush painted. It was a good build, everything fit together but I had to trim the instrument panel a bit to get the fuselage halves to close the gap. I’m quite proud of this build, and it only took me until I’m 27 to try and use wash on panel lines. I was fairly happy with them (my wife even said she liked them! Wow!).

Hope you enjoy it!

Jeff

WCYjZDx.jpg

sIefua2.jpg

aAboJrR.jpg

OCR9n68.jpg

Edited by Jeff G
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 1

That's great - I made my return to modelling accidentally, and it was a 1/72 Defiant that did it.  Mine was brush-painted too.  Yours looks really sharp - I bet you're pleased with her.  I've got a plan to do a 1/48 version, so it's great to hear some feedback on the kit.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

VERY nice. And your brushwork is pretty blooming good too! What paints did you use, if you don't mind my (as a fellow brush painter) asking?!

Thanks for the kind words! I used Tamiya XF-81 (dark green 2 RAF) and then Model Master Dark Earth. Had to use two different brands because I ran out of Tamiya Dark Earth and thought I’d experiment!

On 17/07/2020 at 18:14, jackroadkill said:

That's great - I made my return to modelling accidentally, and it was a 1/72 Defiant that did it.  Mine was brush-painted too.  Yours looks really sharp - I bet you're pleased with her.  I've got a plan to do a 1/48 version, so it's great to hear some feedback on the kit.

Thanks! Yes, I remember yours showing up in the RFI. Very good work yourself, I may have used yours as a bit of a reference 😄

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 6:04 PM, Steve27752 said:

A nice job on the brush work.............It must have surprised a few Jerries when they attacked a Hurricane from behind and it shot back at them.

Yes, but they soon learned. After that it was open season. 

Superb model Jeff, and a fitting tribute to the poor blighters in 264 who flew them. Especially the gunners...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Thanks! Yes, I remember yours showing up in the RFI. Very good work yourself, I may have used yours as a bit of a reference 😄

Thanks, but that was a bit of a risk!

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2020 at 18:04, Steve27752 said:

A nice job on the brush work.............It must have surprised a few Jerries when they attacked a Hurricane from behind and it shot back at them.

Yes i read about the early Me109 and Me110  v Boulton Paul Defiant encounters... The Germans got a bloody nose initially but soon got the measure of their adversary. The did rear quarter attacks from below and decimated the poor Defiants. After this they were demoted to Night Fighting duties , painted black and had some kills. The turret was really a bit too heavy for the airframe ,upset the COG and it was a bit of a deathtrap especially if it got in to a spin!. It was a stopgap really that came about during the rush to rearm.

In the book by Patrick Bishop "Fighter Boys", one of the pilots interviewed made it quite clear that they did not have any idea about their potential adversaries tactics nor aircraft types and performance. It's quite sobering to realise this.. The Deifant was a casualty of this shortcoming.

On 17/07/2020 at 17:14, Jeff G said:

Well, this is my first ever RFI post and I’m a little nervous! To see others build quality on here is definitely humbling. Here’s my attempt at Airfix’s 1/48 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk 1 of 264 Squadron, completely OOB and brush painted. It was a good build, everything fit together but I had to trim the instrument panel a bit to get the fuselage halves to close the gap. I’m quite proud of this build, and it only took me until I’m 27 to try and use wash on panel lines. I was fairly happy with them (my wife even said she liked them! Wow!).

Hope you enjoy it!

Jeff

WCYjZDx.jpg

sIefua2.jpg

aAboJrR.jpg

OCR9n68.jpg

That Turret looks 'mean'! "Auchtung Indiana! Defiant! "