Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

12 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Looking really sharp Matt! 🏆

Thanks Ray!

The undercarriage is now attached, using Milliput to build it up (or down!) by a few mm:

wob.jpg

The wheels are not perfectly aligned, but they're as good as I'm going to get them! More importantly, the 'sit' of the aircraft now looks correct, with the wings/fuselage level and the engines an appropriate distance off the ground.

Undercarriage doors are next, then I think an RFI finally awaits!

• Like 13

20 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Looking absolutely stunning 

Thanks Stu. For some reason I couldn't acknowledge you in my last post, as your comment was on the previous page... :hmmm:

I will definitely be building more 'Utopia' models after this one! 😁

• Like 1

I added the undercarriage doors, aerials and beacons today:

vpd.jpg

And with those final, small touches it's finally done! 🥳

Huge thanks to everybody who followed this build; I really enjoyed your comments and encouragement along the way. Special mention must go to @71chally for the excellent photos that accompanied this build, providing a poignant record of the last flights of this icon as well as some great reference shots. It was great to meet James in person last year when G-CIVP was delivered to St. Athan - sincere thanks for all your help!

I will post a few more pictures later, commemorating this aircraft and will post an RFI as soon as I get a sunny day for the photos...!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I added the undercarriage doors, aerials and beacons today:

vpd.jpg

And with those final, small touches it's finally done! 🥳

Huge thanks to everybody who followed this build; I really enjoyed your comments and encouragement along the way. Special mention must go to @71chally for the excellent photos that accompanied this build, providing a poignant record of the last flights of this icon as well as some great reference shots. It was great to meet James in person last year when G-CIVP was delivered to St. Athan - sincere thanks for all your help!

I will post a few more pictures later, commemorating this aircraft and will post an RFI as soon as I get a sunny day for the photos...!

it's been great to follow this, and you've inspired me to get started on G-CIVJ.

You've done a great job on this kit, and can't wait to see the RFI photos!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Superb work Matt, I know it has taken some 'sweat and tears' to achieve this and it has clearly paid dividends.

It was an honour to meet you at St Athan, and a pleasure to provide reference shots, shame it was at such an awful part of the 747 story.

• Thanks 1

She looks superb Matt, absolutely superb. Makes me want to wander across the tarmac, and take the long hike up the steps to the cabin. All the way to Tokyo, first class of course!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/05/2021 at 21:00, neilg said:

it's been great to follow this, and you've inspired me to get started on G-CIVJ.

You've done a great job on this kit, and can't wait to see the RFI photos!

Thanks Neil, looking forward to seeing another BA 747 coming together! 

On 18/05/2021 at 22:33, keefr22 said:

Hurry up sunny day we need to see proper pics of this beauty!

Superb modelling Matt, and I agree with Neil this has been a great thread to follow!

Cheers Keith, I must admit I will miss this build when it’s finally over! At least I have my 747-8 dual build waiting in the wings - that should keep me busy! It’s been a wet week in Scotland, so still no photos yet...

On 19/05/2021 at 21:54, 71chally said:

Superb work Matt, I know it has taken some 'sweat and tears' to achieve this and it has clearly paid dividends.

It was an honour to meet you at St Athan, and a pleasure to provide reference shots, shame it was at such an awful part of the 747 story.

Thanks James - it was great to see you after all the messages! It was an emotional day out and one that I’ll always treasure - my final flight in the QOTS...🙁

On 20/05/2021 at 08:54, Terry1954 said:

She looks superb Matt, absolutely superb. Makes me want to wander across the tarmac, and take the long hike up the steps to the cabin. All the way to Tokyo, first class of course!

Thanks Terry - that sounds very nostalgic! Can I come?😁

18 hours ago, Fritag said:

Beautiful aeroplane, love the personal connection, superb modelling, great thread.  Been a real pleasure, thanks Matt.

You’re welcome - glad you enjoyed it! 🙂

17 hours ago, Plasticbasher said:

That was a first class journey! 

:thanks:

• Like 2

lovely build and great to see the regular updates, i will have to have one of these myself. I travelled to Phoenix Arizona many times and flew BA due to being the only direct flight initially, you may have been my pilot, i took early retirement so no more business travel for me anymore. BA was also one of my customers, i also helped set up some of the avionic repair capability at Llantrisant when it first opened. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2021 at 17:32, MikeV61 said:

lovely build and great to see the regular updates, i will have to have one of these myself. I travelled to Phoenix Arizona many times and flew BA due to being the only direct flight initially, you may have been my pilot

Thanks Mike - I flew to PHX many times, so might well have had you on board at some point!

The sun was shining today so the RFI is finally done!

I will leave this thread with a couple of final images of G-CIVP... This was her in the 'One World' livery she wore at the end (photo courtesy of Ian Haskell - thanks Ian!😞

ow.jpg

And this was her on 21st September at St. Athan after shutting down for the final time:

ivp1.jpg

Thanks very much for your company along the way during this build - it was great to have so much support and input.👍

My next project is more 747's, but this time I'm building a pair of 747-8 kits. I hope they are easier builds than this one!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

And this was her on 21st September at St. Athan after shutting down for the final time:

What a brilliant piccie....!! :thumbsup:

Keith, off to find the rfi....

• Thanks 1

Can I just say, that this is beautiful?

Awesome build. I did one 1/144 747-200 Classic from Thai Airways some 30 years ago, and it looked nowhere as good as this!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 31/05/2021 at 22:11, The Spadgent said:

Beautiful finish and a pleasure to watch come together. 👏👏👏

Thank you Johnny!

On 31/05/2021 at 22:37, keefr22 said:

What a brilliant piccie....!! :thumbsup:

Cheers Keith!

On 01/06/2021 at 12:19, Winnie said:

Can I just say, that this is beautiful?

Thanks Winnie.

If I may be indulged for one more time, today is exactly a year after G-CIVP was delivered to St. Athan for scrapping. I promise I won't do this on every anniversary, but here is one final shot from that day, taken as we walked away after the flight:

vip.jpg

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

If I may be indulged for one more time, today is exactly a year after G-CIVP was delivered to St. Athan for scrapping.

A great nostalgic shot Matt. Must have felt very sad walking away that day.

Terry

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Thank you Johnny!

Cheers Keith!

Thanks Winnie.

If I may be indulged for one more time, today is exactly a year after G-CIVP was delivered to St. Athan for scrapping. I promise I won't do this on every anniversary, but here is one final shot from that day, taken as we walked away after the flight:

vip.jpg

A sad day in aviation history....😥

Must have been heartbreaking leaving her,knowing her destiny.

Anyway,there is absolutely no problem if you do this on every anniversary...😉

• Like 2

On 21/09/2021 at 13:44, Terry1954 said:

A great nostalgic shot Matt. Must have felt very sad walking away that day.

Thanks Terry. It did!

On 21/09/2021 at 14:12, keefr22 said:

Lovely, if sad, pic though.

Thanks Keith. Not a brilliant photo, with the sun behind the aircraft, but it captured a moment...

On 21/09/2021 at 14:32, Alex1978 said:

Yep.

On 21/09/2021 at 14:32, Alex1978 said:

Must have been heartbreaking leaving her,knowing her destiny.

It was a bitter sweet experience. I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to fly on her for the final time - something many of my colleagues never experienced. For many, they never knew that they had had their last flight on the 747, as the fleet's retirement was announced several weeks after we stopped flying the aircraft...

• Like 3

On 22/09/2021 at 15:09, Back in the Saddle said:

Not a brilliant photo, with the sun behind the aircraft, but it captured a moment...

Exactly that Matt - I think it added a sense of the sun setting on a magnificent aircraft.....

Keith

• Thanks 1

On 21/09/2021 at 13:33, Back in the Saddle said:

I promise I won't do this on every anniversary

I for one won't complain, and I don't think others would either. Fabulous WIP with some truly awesome contributions from many amazing members.

@71chally you should really do a calendar. I'd buy one for sure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1