Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

On 15/12/2020 at 19:16, Back in the Saddle said:

I'm not convinced this looks quite correct, I might need a lighter shade... I will look at it again once the blue is on - a job for tomorrow...?

I'm quoting myself now - is that wrong...?!😆

Due to today being far more manic than anticipated, no painting was achieved 🙄.  However, regarding the engine exhausts I have decided to start again - the colours do not look accurate and my bands at the back are too narrow. I'm using this reference picture from @71chally to show how it should look:

DSC_2772

I will have a tweak with the colours and try again!

I also had a good look at the wings tonight and there are signs of a slight reaction in the enamel. It can be seen on the right wing in the area of the inboard aileron:

op1.jpg

And on the left wing it is closer to the wing root:

op2.jpg

I have sanded the offending areas back gently, to remove the slight bubbling:

sand.jpg

I will re-scribe the trailing edges and then re-spray the grey tomorrow in the hope that it doesn't react again.

I also need to re-spray some areas on the tailplanes. This is how they currently look:

wrg.jpg

Unfortunately the front third of each section should be aluminium, not grey...:wall:

The original Revell painting diagram was correct, but I was looking at a different drawing which incorrectly showed these areas as grey. It's not a major issue, as my demarcation line between the aluminium and the grey was very messy and needed attention anyway. I also need to touch up one elevator, which also had a paint reaction and re-scribe the trailing edges of the elevators.

One other job is to complete the bogies. They need a little more attention and some weathering.

Despite not having the replacement decals yet, I'm still finding plenty to do! 😆

• Like 7

With the exhaust I would be tempted to use gunmetal ( lighter might be better) for the main part of the cone, and dull aluminium for the aft ring.

What I tend to do is have a 'live palette' of metallics when I'm painting, so I use something like a large plastic lid with globs of various metallic paints, black, white, and a couple of middish greys and even a yellow. I then mix what I want as I go.  

I have got better shots of the tailplane, but need to upload sometime, but this might help with the leading edge areas

50313819802_6a3ca06bb9_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436s G-CIVZ & G-CIVU British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 4

Thanks James.👍

Those exhaust colours sound good. I initially brush painted the main cone with gunmetal, but was unhappy with the finish. I think airbrushing the same colour will work. For the aft ring I was thinking white aluminium might be a good match? My plan is create a swatch with the various Alclad shades I have, to see how they actually look when applied. I have a sheet of plastic waiting in the wings for this project...

Thanks for the tailplane photo - it confirms I need to respray the front third!

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Back to the thread. Sorry for the side step. 🙌

No problem at all - I think we’re all happy to discuss 747’s! 😁

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Back in the Saddle said:

My plan is create a swatch with the various Alclad shades I have, to see how they actually look when applied. I have a sheet of plastic waiting in the wings for this project...

...now you're just getting technical!

BTW, still busy photographing 747s!

50710549803_d3e541d968_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-BYGC by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Indeed!  James, you have quite the eye for composition.

Dennis

I'm very lucky to have the access to be honest Dennis, thanks go to Ecube and the airfield ops team for that.

I must have spent from Friday morning to Tuesday evening photographing 'GC, need to make the most of the opportunity!

It does look almost like a model diorama in that shot to me.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I must have spent from Friday morning to Tuesday evening photographing 'GC, need to make the most of the opportunity!

It would be a shame to waste it! Dennis is right though - you have a great eye for composition.👍

I’ve had a productive morning with the airbrush and I think I know where I’m going now regarding exhaust colours... I’ll test my theories and hopefully get some pictures up later showing the results.🤞

I’m also rectifying my tailplane colours. However, I seem to have lost my scriber, so until that turns up I will be unable to finish the trailing edges.☹️ Back to the search!😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

It does look almost like a model diorama in that shot to me.

It looks to me like it must have in happier days at LHR, JFK or wherever - absolutely superb photograph James! 

14 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

My plan is create a swatch with the various Alclad shades I have, to see how they actually look when applied. I have a sheet of plastic waiting in the wings for this project...

Plastic spoons are great for that Matt - the curved surface lets you see the colours from different angles, like on a model's surfaces. They're also good for testing compatablity between primers and paints etc..

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope this helps with the tailplane, looks to me like natural aluminium leading edges and forward panels,  Corogard mid section, white (light grey?) trailing portions, tips and small section of root forward of Corogard part, and natural aluminium elevator.

50728950833_eaed1137eb_h.jpgBoeing 747-436 tailplane by James Thomas, on Flickr

Thanks for the kind comments👍

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

this build is going from strength to strength Matt kudos 

Thanks Eamonn - I'm doing my best to get it right!

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Plastic spoons are great for that Matt - the curved surface lets you see the colours from different angles, like on a model's surfaces. They're also good for testing compatablity between primers and paints etc..

Top tip Keith - I'm filing that one away for future use.👍

Here's my attempt at spraying my different shades of Alclad:

swatch.jpg

Each area is split into a grey primed section and a glossy black section - the rectangle on the far left shows this most clearly. Each subsequent rectangle is then sprayed with a different paint, such as aluminium, duraluminum, stainless steel, etc. I know which is which, but must label them properly before I lose track! I have two spare slots on the sheet, for any future purchases!

I have sprayed the aft exhaust rings with high speed silver (bought for a Gloster Meteor in my stash) - this paint has a white tinge to it once it is dry. I am trying stainless steel for the darker section in front of this ring but I might need something darker.

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Hope this helps with the tailplane, looks to me like natural aluminium leading edges and forward panels,  Corogard mid section, white (light grey?) trailing portions, tips and small section of root forward of Corogard part, and natural aluminium elevator.

Thanks James - I think I've got everything correct now! The tailplane front sections have been re-sprayed and are now silver.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, DMC said:

This site needs translating but it’s well worth doing.  Absolutely brilliant 747 modelling going on here.

I've just had a look - very impressive!

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

I've just purchased AVOs flap set, the photo above gives me something to aspire to!

Do you have a link please James - I'd like to take a look!👍

The tailplane front is now painted silver but the trailing edge needs scribing (my scriber is still missing!):

silv.jpg

I am also finally happy with the exhausts, which are painted in stainless steel with the aft ring picked out in high speed silver:

ss.jpg

I'm also pleased to see some surface detail remains on the cowlings, despite the multiple coats of paint applied as I tried to get it looking correct!

Blue/light grey enamels are next! 

• Like 6

I masked the exhausts yesterday and sprayed a quick coat of primer:

finb.jpg

I have also dropped the fuselage at some point, making a slight mark on the blue paint and a minor crack by the undercarriage doors 😬. Seems like a good time to rectify this too, so it's masked ready for a touch up:

dama.jpg

I still can't find my scriber, but the modelling area is now the tidiest it's ever been! 😇

Hopefully the blue will be applied this afternoon.

• Like 5

I lost my micro chisel a couple of months back, despite hours of hunting it was truly gone. I moved my Eagle I built recent to a different shelf and it developed a rattle, somehow, lo and behold, I managed to close the fuselage with it inside! 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Do you have a link please James - I'd like to take a look!👍

Hi Matt, just sent you an email.

Superb work yet again, looks really smooth, all those layers on the engines should make the scribed details more scale like.

Love the blue finish on the fuselage, hopefully you will rectify the small crack.

For scribing I only use a scalpel, you have to be steady on the first few passes, and preferably use a guide, but can get some lovely fine results.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Airgunner said:

I lost my micro chisel a couple of months back, despite hours of hunting it was truly gone. I moved my Eagle I built recent to a different shelf and it developed a rattle, somehow, lo and behold, I managed to close the fuselage with it inside! 🤷‍♂️

I’d better give my recent models a shake! I know I had it last month, as I used it...😁

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Hi Matt, just sent you an email.

Superb work yet again, looks really smooth, all those layers on the engines should make the scribed details more scale like.

Love the blue finish on the fuselage, hopefully you will rectify the small crack.

For scribing I only use a scalpel, you have to be steady on the first few passes, and preferably use a guide, but can get some lovely fine results.

Thanks James, email received!👍

Two coats of blue applied today on the nacelles but a third will be needed - it’s still slightly opaque. The fuselage looks OK again, the slight marks are gone. 👍

I will search the shed for the scriber tomorrow, just in case it ended up there for some reason... I’m not the tidiest builder, but I am methodical - that particular tool is always kept in a box with my scalpel, snippers, etc. - I’m not sure where else it could be!

• Like 3

The mention of a calendar earlier in the thread prompted me to this mosaic of all the British Airways 747s I saw this year, it was going to be twelve pictures but with twenty 747s involved I couldn't really do it in less than fourteen pictures.

G-BYGA, GB, GC, GD, GE, GG, G-CIVC, VE, VF, VI, VK, VM, VO, VP, VU, VV, VW, VY, VZ and G-BNLY, you have served proudly.

50749177437_6ed0dd096c_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436s 2020 by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 8