Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

After watching the video on facebook I got to wondering whether if the 747's had continued in service until 2023 as planned whether there'd have been such an outpouring of affection for them, or whether like most other aircraft they'd have just faded away. And I also wonder if as many would have actually been preserved if their premature end hadn't been given such media attention.

I'm not sure about that Keith, the 747 isn't just any aircraft, it is (arguably) the most important aircraft ever built, and a gorgeous looking machine by any standard, I do think the same affection would have been shown whenever they left service, the COVID thing made one aspect worse, and that was robbing enthusiasts the chance of farewell flights.  Preservation wise, who knows.

You are probably right from the point of view of the press, as the mass cull of this icon in the passenger carrying sector has certainly grabbed their attention.

50706968077_e28ae803b3_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-BYGC British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Another lovely pic James, thanks so much for sharing all your fine work with us. :)

As Keith said, thank you James for all the photos of the final flights, plus the reference pictures when needed - really appreciated.👍

No progress today on the model today - it was too damp for spraying... Hopefully the weekend will be better.

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys, and actually it's been an utter pleasure to see Matts' build through this final 747 episode, and to get to meet you of course.  My only pictures from now on will likely be reference pictures taken of dead aircraft.

50707243572_c6b9a54ed3_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-BYGC British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

50707243457_3302cda819_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-BYGC British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

50707365292_609dc27474_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-BYGC British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Stunning photos from today - thank you! And kudos for capturing both the departure and arrival - that must have been a rush, even with the route that was flown!

My personal highlight was obviously the trip to St. Athan for IVP’s disposal - a bittersweet moment. Good to meet James after all the online chats!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, Matt, @Back in the Saddle,  what do you think?

It's an old story - this was first muted years ago. Frankly I can't see it ever happening!

A bit more progress to report. The damaged wing root is now painted again and looks as good as new:

fix.jpg

I have also masked the wings and tailplane ready for the corogard:

cm2.jpg

Masking around the flap fairings was a bit fiddly - hopefully it will turn out OK. I have some more modern Revell airliners in the stash and I'm assuming these fairings are now moulded separately and can be glued on at a later stage...🤞 At least masking the tailplanes was relatively straightforward:

cm1.jpg

The corogard mix was homemade and I used approximately 60% Humbrol 64 (light grey) with 40% Humbrol 11 (silver) to give it a metallic sheen. It was sprayed this afternoon and I should get the masking off tonight to see how it turned out.👍

• Like 4

Looking good - gorgeous and shiny!

I think - and you may know more than me - that the corroguard sections extend right to the winglet on the -400 series, both on the upper and lower wing surfaces. Your masking pattern looks more typical of the Classics. 

Tom

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Looking good - gorgeous and shiny!

Cheers Tom.👍

43 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

I think - and you may know more than me - that the corroguard sections extend right to the winglet on the -400 series, both on the upper and lower wing surfaces. Your masking pattern looks more typical of the Classics. 

Sadly (for me!) you are correct - here's a link posted by Keith weeks ago, showing a top view of the wings:

https://www.airteamimages.com/boeing-747_G-CIVB_british-airways_370252_large.html

I will have to mask it again to fix that... Hopefully not a major job - I'm just glad I kept my corogard mixture! Thanks for the critique, it all helps to get the model as accurate as possible.👍

44 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Really excellent save on the wingroot Matt - as Eric used to say to Little Ern,,,,'You can't see the join...!!' :)

Thanks Keith - I'm happy with that join!

48 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Looking forward to seeing how the corroguard turns out.

The wait is over, with a rough assembly of the major components to see how it looks:

dry.jpg

The corogard finish is just what I wanted, with a metallic, satin sheen. 

Work on the engines is next, once I've extended the corogard to the wing tips!

• Like 5

I've re-masked the wing tips top and bottom, ready for another spray tomorrow. Fortunately the incorrect markings finished on a panel line, so the new coat of paint should be easy to blend in:

fix2.jpg

I have also masked the engines, read for the band of colour at the rear of the exhaust:

rings.jpg

And a shot of the bogies too, now they are almost complete:

bogies2.jpg

Fingers crossed the replacement decals arrive soon - I think I'll be needing them before much longer...

• Like 4

Hey guys sorry for the off topic/ on topic but what is a good 747 kit? I’m seeing a lot of the Revell boxing’s floating about. There was a new tool in 2012 is this any good? I was thinking of doing Ed force one. “Don’t judge me” but the boxing is super pricy so might get the luft one and use AM decals. Sound doable? 

Thanks for any help. And excuse the drift but I figured if any one will know it’s you guys.

Johnny

• Like 1

Morning Johnny.

Which variant are you interested in? The new 747-800 kits are in a different league to the older offerings, with far better accuracy, but I know you enjoy a challenge so that’s possibly not an issue....?!😂

I’m guessing the Revell 747-400 kit is the best (only?) starting point for Ed Force One, but not the BA version due to the different engines.👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

what is a good 747 kit?

Hello Johnny,

last year I asked the same question and received a lot of advice and suggestions from the airliner cognoscenti here on BM.  Pretty much brought me up to speed on what’s available and which one to go for.  Perhaps you’ll find the thread useful also.

Cheers,

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Here's an image showing the underside of the wing - the corogard definitely extends out as @tomprobert describes:

1920px-Jalcargo_b747-400_ja401j_arp.jpg

Thats a superb underside shot Matt, showing some amazing and clear detail. Excellent reference. I'm having to put a 747 on my must build list now!

Terry

• Like 2

Just found this WIP.A great build so far.You certainly do justice to that iconic aircraft.

Seeing them leaving the fleets really hurts.

I have many wonderful memories of my flights with the queen.

It all started back in 1998 with Swissair,flight back from HKG-ZRH.I wasnt expecting a 747,thought it was to be the MD-11 as on my flight to HKG.

We were transferred with the bus to one of the outside parking positions,where I suddenly spotted the tail and realized,this will be my first 747 flight.

Standing in front of that aircraft and then climbing up the stairs to board was just awesome.

I will never forget that first flight on a 747.

After that I flew also on BA,Qantas,Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa 747s.

Always a wonderful experience.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Hey guys sorry for the off topic/ on topic but what is a good 747 kit? I’m seeing a lot of the Revell boxing’s floating about. There was a new tool in 2012 is this any good?

This is my opinion,

My favourite without a doubt, the best 747 kit is the Nitto/Entex/Doyusha 1:100 beauty, it's possibly the oldest 747 kit but it really is a thing of beauty.  It looks spot on, has really well detailed parts and has lovely fine (raised) panel lines.  However, it can be hard to find and at very hefty prices.  I managed to pick one up a month or so ago for £80, but I have seen the Revell 747-400s go for just over £50.

There are some great 1970s bizarre features, such as the interior floors are also split in two halves aswel as the fuselage halves.  This kit only represents -100s, and -200s without the SUD, but you can get resin engines & pylons to represent the customer variations.

The new tool 2012 kit you mention, is the Revell 747-8 (Intercontinental and Freighter variants) and are great kits, modern tooling, really nicely molded and detailed and looks right. The icing on the cake is that these can be had for around £24 which is blinding value.  Downside is that they represent the least produced but most modern variant, but some modellers use this kit to back convert it to -400s and even the original -100 to 300 types - there are some great examples of that work on this forum.

There is a very similar, but I believe unrelated, kit from Zvezda, however I have never seen it.

I would place the Hasegawa 1:200 747s next, again they just look right, but they are basic as they are so small.

In at number four, the original 1970s Revell 1:144 747, this is the most accurately shaped 747 in this scale, however it is basic, and it looks like recent boxings take a lot of work to build due to the age of the moldings.

The Revell 1;144 747-400 (which Matt is building here) I would place next.  It was a complete new molding in the early 1990s, and has engraved panel lines, however it does suffer from some odd inaccuracies.

Forget the Airfix 1:144 kit, it looks like a cartoon 747!

Eastern Express have just released 747SP,this is my favourite variant and I can't wait to buy a couple. It looks nicely molded and looks the part, but I don't have one to properly examine yet.

there is a build already commenced on this forum.  The company are also releasing a 747-100.

I just wish a company would release a state of the art -400 though!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent progress Matt, really looks to be turning finals now, for completion.

Great work on the wings and tailplane really have got a lovely finish on those, and the engines are coming along nicely.  Bet all those wheels were fun to paint!

On 14/12/2020 at 21:09, Back in the Saddle said:

Here's an image showing the underside of the wing - the corogard definitely extends out as @tomprobert describes:

1920px-Jalcargo_b747-400_ja401j_arp.jpg

Very nice shot.

Question :

Have a guess.

What colour is the fuselage ?

https://www.qwant.com/?q=B-747 JA 401J&t=images

If this is not working, try this :

https://www.planespotters.net/photos/reg/JA401J

or 

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=B-747+JA+401J&form=HDRSC2&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover

Edited by AV O

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Beautiful and measured work dear sir.

You're too kind! Thank you!😃

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That twined with @71chally ‘s fine landing footage has got me thinking I really do need to add a 747 to the stash. 
such a poignant time to be building this beauty.

I'm guessing from your later post that you are looking into this? Thanks to @DMC and @71chally for their comprehensive replies to your question!👍

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I like your corroguard Matt, looks just right! 

Thanks Keith - I agree (how modest!). It really looks authentic and the colour/darkness varies depending on the viewing angle and light - just like the real thing. I'm remembering that mixing ratio in case I need to make more, although there is a fair bit left over in the pot for future builds.

10 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Coming along very nicely Matt fantastic watching her come together 

Thanks Eamonn.👍

9 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thats a superb underside shot Matt, showing some amazing and clear detail. Excellent reference. I'm having to put a 747 on my must build list now!

That's another 747 build in the pipeline - nice!😄

6 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Just found this WIP.A great build so far.You certainly do justice to that iconic aircraft.

Thanks Alex - glad you're enjoying the build. You can't beat a flight on a 747!

40 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I just wish a company would release a state of the art -400 though!

Me too!

35 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Excellent progress Matt, really looks to be turning finals now, for completion.

Great work on the wings and tailplane really have got a lovely finish on those, and the engines are coming along nicely.  Bet all those wheels were fun to paint!

Cheers James, it does feel like the end is in sight. I corrected the corogard on the wingtips this morning:

fix3.jpg

I have also sprayed the rings around the rear of the exhausts:

ring.jpg

I'm not convinced this looks quite correct, I might need a lighter shade... I will look at it again once the blue is on - a job for tomorrow...?

• Like 8