Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great catch up. You’re doing a wonderful job. Shame about that decal. Could you not have painted the blue bit green? I’m sure there’s a reason but I couldn’t see it. Either way you seem to be mastering decals so the new ones will go on a treat. 👏👏👏

Cheers Johnny. 👍

The main issue with the decals was the size - too short to reach the tip of the tail and too short to cover the rear of the tail cone. I didn't fancy my chances of getting an exact colour match on the yellow, green and red either...! When I noticed the design was also incorrect under the tailplane, it seemed like a good point to contact Philippe and explain about the problems! I think he's working on fixing all the inaccuracies, so hopefully I'll have something much more authentic soon. 🙂

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Looks good Matt. Milliput is SOOOO useful IMHO!

Thanks Terry - it's a great product and strangely therapeutic! I quite enjoy the mixing, holding and sanding process.

43 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Having a similar problem on a stalled build (a380 horizontal stab), how did you get the miliput to stay in place when sanding or have you not got to that bit yet?

Hi Stu. I just pushed it firmly into place and left it for 24 hours. It was attached perfectly when I came back to it. I think the firm push helps and I try to smear it over the surrounding area - it seems to do the trick!

• Like 5

Well Matt, I have just had a marathon catch up with your 747.  It is looking fantastic and an inspirational build:thumbsup:

I have a stalled 747-412F I should now get finished. It's a pity about the tail decals but it sounds like it will be sorted soon. I also have a QANTAS 747-438 to get done which is now preserved at HARS about 2 1/2 hours from me (VH-OJA), so more inspiration to get onto it.

And James, thanks for those excellent pictures. SOme great refs for RR powered 747s!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Well Matt, I have just had a marathon catch up with your 747.  It is looking fantastic and an inspirational build:thumbsup:

I have a stalled 747-412F I should now get finished. It's a pity about the tail decals but it sounds like it will be sorted soon. I also have a QANTAS 747-438 to get done which is now preserved at HARS about 2 1/2 hours from me (VH-OJA), so more inspiration to get onto it.

And James, thanks for those excellent pictures. SOme great refs for RR powered 747s!

Thanks Ray. It’s certainly had its challenges, but it will be worth it in the end. 👍

I’m very pleased that QANTAS preserved one too - if I ever get to that part of the world it will get a visit! You can’t beat RR engines and James has been a huge help with his photos. Maybe a few more tomorrow after the final ferry flight...?🤞

• Like 2

@Romeo Alpha Yankee I found myself doing some research on VH-OJA after your post. A record breaking non-stop delivery flight from LHR to SYD (18001km/9720nm, taking 20 hours and 10mins) which is detailed here. G-CIVP has the record for the fastest subsonic trans-Atlantic flight on 9th Feb this year, flying from JFK to LHR in 4 hours and 56 mins. What an aircraft!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Maybe a few more tomorrow after the final ferry flight...?🤞

I'm certainly hoping so, I want to catch the departure and the landing again but there will be crowds and press at St Athan, so could be tricky.

Looks like Virgin will be flying the last UK operator 747, planned out of Heathrow on the 16th.

Excellent work Matt, the wings are looking very nice, I'm a Milliput fan aswell, so workable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

I'm certainly hoping so, I want to catch the departure and the landing again but there will be crowds and press at St Athan, so could be tricky.

Looks like Virgin will be flying the last UK operator 747, planned out of Heathrow on the 16th.

Excellent work Matt, the wings are looking very nice, I'm a Milliput fan as well, so workable.

I like to use Milliput but can never work out how much to make up, so I always make up too much. Is their a trick to reducing wastage?

6 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Is their a trick to reducing wastage?

I just try to cut small but equal amounts. Yesterday I had to use milliput to repair the wing on this model and also to blend the engines onto the wing on my ATR build. I sliced about 1mm from each packet, which made a ball slightly larger than a pea. It was still too much! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

You can’t beat RR engines

Strangely, my mate Sam who works in the breakers at Saints told us last night that they're also planning to remove the engines from G-BYGC (as I believe they did on one of the other preserved jets) and replace them with some from a scrapped machine - but as far as I'm aware there won't be any RR powered 744's in service after tomorrow, so it seems a bit pointless? And as Sam pointed out Golf Charlie will then have mismatched, non authentically coloured nacelles! Hopefully they'll get repainted! :)

Very neat repair on the Miliput Matt - I wouldn't have spotted the join had you not pointed it out!

Keith

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I like to use Milliput but can never work out how much to make up, so I always make up too much. Is their a trick to reducing wastage?

Personally I like to make too much up anyway. I must admit I'm still using old stock though, I like how you can effectively work it into a modified part, like for this Shack MR.1 tail.

28786819165_f225e23267_h.jpgAirfix Shackleton MR.2 to MR.1/T.4 conversion by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 4

On 07/12/2020 at 22:37, Back in the Saddle said:

Cheers James, I think one more coat should do it!

That is a great shot showing the body gear steering in action - I’ve never seen that before. It certainly helps get the aircraft around a tight corner!

The body gear moves in the opposite side of the nose gear exceeding 30° steering.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Strangely, my mate Sam who works in the breakers at Saints told us last night that they're also planning to remove the engines from G-BYGC (as I believe they did on one of the other preserved jets) and replace them with some from a scrapped machine - but as far as I'm aware there won't be any RR powered 744's in service after tomorrow, so it seems a bit pointless? And as Sam pointed out Golf Charlie will then have mismatched, non authentically coloured nacelles! Hopefully they'll get repainted! :)

Yes, that is what will happen to G-BYGC, and is happening with G-BNLY.

I have heard the same with the nacelle colours, but they can be removed from the engines at some stage so surely can be swapped back over to their original jet at a latter date?

It will be sometime before 'GC makes it over to it's final resting place.

As for the engines, my guess is that they don't belong to BA, possibly Rolls Royce owned, so they will be keen to hang on to good engines.  The speed that the 747 engines are being removed here (by BAMC) is amazing.

211s have industrial applications, so might be good for that market?  I don't think they're interchangeable with 757/767 type power units, but could be wrong. 

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I sliced about 1mm from each packet, which made a ball slightly larger than a pea. It was still too much!

Tell me about it! No matter how I try, I always seem to mix too much, even when I aim for the smallest amounts.

What I tend to do now is roll surplus bits into say cylindrical waste parts, or other semi useful shapes, such that when dry, they can be properly shaped. So this piece is an example of a rough shape closely matching a small bomb. I have a very small mini lathe, and this one could be cleaned up in that and formed into something more symmetrical.

IMG20201210230534

Needless to say I have scores of these "useful" mini shapes knocking around, although In did one turn one into a bomb for a 1/72 Vindicator!

Terry

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I like how you can effectively work it into a modified part, like for this Shack MR.1 tail.

Absolutely agree James. It's perfect for that sort of stuff.

Would love to see more on that Shak MR1.

Terry

• Like 1

I don't want to swamp Matts' superb thread here, but Shack build here @Terry1954, stalled due to house move.

Shackleton MR.1 T.4 conversion from Airfix MR.2 1st WIP - Work in Progress - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

Weird, that should be a link?!

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I don't want to swamp Matts' superb thread here, but Shack build here @Terry1954, stalled due to house move.

Shackleton MR.1 T.4 conversion from Airfix MR.2 1st WIP - Work in Progress - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

Weird, that should be a link?!

Yes, a bit weird. It looked like you had posted a link, but it doesn't appear as one?

48 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Very neat repair on the Miliput Matt - I wouldn't have spotted the join had you not pointed it out!

Keith

There are still RR powered freighters flying around so there would be a demand for the engines

Cargolux,_LX-RCV,_Boeing_747-4R7_F_(1950

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

There are still RR powered freighters flying around so there would be a demand for the engines

Cargolux,_LX-RCV,_Boeing_747-4R7_F_(1950

Didn’t know Cargolux had RR ones till the other morning, when I heard the unmistakable whine of the RB211 going over (which was odd given just how high they pass over). Was a pleasant surprise, thought I wouldn’t be hearing it again when the BA ones retired.

• Like 2

It's been a long & wet, but incredible day.  The weather kind've played ball aswel, there was a big BA/Ecube/WG welcoming do for G-BYGC.

Haven't even looked at pics yet as I've just been helping the aircrew with a (very) lost minibus back to london, but Sam Chui, the well known aviation blogger has a put a superb video of the laning on Instagram, https://www.instagram.com/p/CIql7nvJ4WY/

I kind of feel that my photography work is now done for the year, I was keen to capture as many of these last flights as possible, but now it's all over.

Such a sad thought that the BAMC hangar, that was built to service the BA 747s in the early 1990s, will never see a 747 again.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

After watching the video on facebook I got to wondering whether if the 747's had continued in service until 2023 as planned whether there'd have been such an outpouring of affection for them, or whether like most other aircraft they'd have just faded away. And I also wonder if as many would have actually been preserved if their premature end hadn't been given such media attention.

Maybe this damn bug has given us one good thing after all. We'll never know.....

Keith

• Like 3